Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-16-2006, 05:09 AM   #1
steeler47
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 663
Default Coach's on the hot seat ?

Coaches on the Hot Seat

The 2005 season was one which saw only three new faces in the group of National Football League head coaches - Romeo Crennel (Cleveland Browns), Mike Nolan (San Francisco 49ers) and Nick Saban (Miami Dolphins). It was indeed an off-year for the coaching carousel. Between 1992 and 2004, the National Football League averaged seven head coaching changes a year.

The 2006 offseason was similar to years past, with eight head coaching changes made during the offseason. One-fourth of the teams in the NFL now have a different head coach than they did in 2005. So, will the 2007 offseason bring more of the same? Judging by the past 15 years (excluding the aforementioned rare lack of activity in 2005) it very well might. For some coaches improving upon last season's record, making the playoffs or going deeper into the playoffs will be necessary if they want to avoid clearing out their offices come February.

On the Hot Seat
Brian Billick, Baltimore Ravens (2005 record: 6-10)

It has been over five years since the Ravens posted their best record in team history (12-4) and pounded the New York Giants 34-7 in Super Bowl XXXV. Since, the team has gone in the wrong direction, going 1-2 in the playoffs and having two losing seasons, in 2002 and 2005. The team's 2006 record of 6-10 was actually their worst since 1996.

The acquisition of quarterback Steve McNair is a huge upgrade, but with it comes much greater expectations for the team and one less excuse for Brian Billick. The Cincinnati Bengals are not the Bengals of old, the Cleveland Browns are on the way up and the Pittsburgh Steelers seem to be "fairly decent" as well. This team has the talent to compete even in the AFC North, but it's up to Billick to lead them. If not, we may find out the identity of the third head coach in Ravens history next offseason.

Marty Schottenheimer, San Diego Chargers (2005 record: 9-7)

The AFC West is undoubtedly a tough division for San Diego to play in, with the Denver Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs routinely in playoff contention. Schottenheimer went from a 4-12 season in 2003 to a 12-4 season and playoff berth in 2004. The team took a step back last season, finishing third in the division at 9-7 and failing to make the playoffs. That should not happen to a team that features exceptional players like running back LaDainian Tomlinson, tight end Antonio Gates and linebacker Shawne Merriman.

It does not bode well for Schottenheimer that he and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith really cannot stand one another. The departed Drew Brees (New Orleans Saints) was Schottenheimer's quarterback of choice, while 2004 first-round pick Philip Rivers is Smith's boy. If Rivers fails in 2006, Smith will not blame Rivers (and by association, himself) but Schottenheimer. Rivers is Schottenheimer's now whether he likes it or not, and he needs to make it work for his sake.

Dishonorable Mentions
Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville Jaguars (2005 record: 12-4)

Del Rio has improved on his record each of the past three seasons, and is not in any immediate danger. However, until the team can knock off the Indianapolis Colts, he will have a monkey on his back and will feel pressure to take the team deep into the playoffs.

Dennis Green, Arizona Cardinals (2005 record: 5-11)

The 6-10 record Green had in his first year with Arizona was actually better than the team's records the previous two seasons without him. Unfortunately, Green took a step back in 2006, going just 5-11. Expectations are high for the team's offense in 2006. To go along with the dangerous receiving duo of Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, the Cardinals added All-Pro running back Edgerrin James. Talented rookie tight end Leonard Pope and 2004 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Matt Leinart were drafted. If Green doesn't put this team at least into contention for second place behind the NFC Champions Seattle Seahawks, the team mi

Jim Mora, Atlanta Falcons (2005 record: 8-8)

This offseason, quarterback Michael Vick said he was having trouble grasping the team's West Coast offense. In response, Mora said the team does not run the WCO. This could explain part of the team's troubles. Throughout his career, many people have made excuses for Vick, shifting blame away from the over-hyped superstar. If the Falcons don't turn it around soon, Mora might be the next passenger on the blame train out of Atlanta.

Art Shell, Oakland Raiders (2005 record under Norv Turner: 4-12)

The Indianapolis Colts won more games in 2005 (14) than the Raiders have in the past three seasons under Bill Callahan and Norv Turner. Shell will have to show marked improvement if he wants to be the team's long-term coach. Could Shell really be fired after just one season in his second stint as Raiders head coach? It's as possible as anything else with managing general partner Al Davis. Let's put it this way: if the offense fails, Davis isn't going to fire himself.

Thoughts

The PITTSBURGH STEELERS...2006 WORLD CHAMPIONS !!!
steeler47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #2
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Coach's on the hot seat ?

My thoughts?

Any time I get an opportunity to call Brian Billick a total jagofff and mega tool...I'll take it.

The self proclaimed "offensive genius", after riding Marvin Phillips' defense to a SB win 6 years ago, has made bad decision after bad decision...dragging that team into a hole it may never climb out of....

Part of me hopes they go 8-8 or 9-7 this year...that way he'll stick around...assuring that the Ratbirds will be no threat to us for a long time....

The defense is a shell of its former self...NcNair will be in the hospital by Halloween...and Billick will be spinning his bullshit to the masses....

Thank you...this rant was brought to you by....ME!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
My thoughts?

Any time I get an opportunity to call Brian Billick a total jagofff and mega tool...I'll take it.

The self proclaimed "offensive genius", after riding Marvin Phillips' defense to a SB win 6 years ago, has made bad decision after bad decision...dragging that team into a hole it may never climb out of....

Part of me hopes they go 8-8 or 9-7 this year...that way he'll stick around...assuring that the Ratbirds will be no threat to us for a long time....

The defense is a shell of its former self...NcNair will be in the hospital by Halloween...and Billick will be spinning his bullshit to the masses....

Thank you...this rant was brought to you by....ME!!!

Well done.

I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell he still has a job. Ever since Biscotti told Billick to basically shut his mouth and focus on making that Raven team better he has turned it down a few notches but that team is being hyped more than they deserve. Time will tell.

This just hit me........I find it odd that we don't have any Raven fans on this forum.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:00 AM   #4
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
This just hit me........I find it odd that we don't have any Raven fans on this forum.

the same thought hit me as I was spewing that rant (see above)....

My theory is this...With the exception of us...the NFL is a bandwagon league....

All the Bungel yahoos are currently out of the closet (after a 15 year hibernation)...
The Browns?...they've been awful....*empty bandwagon*
The Ratbirds?...awful...*empty bandwagon*....

When the Pats go 7-9 this year?...they will dissipate as well...

If the Dolphins go 11-5?...lol...they will be EVERYWHERE....

I believe the whole thing to be cyclical...just an opinion....
Old 08-16-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

I live in the Baltimore area I think its kind of funny how many Ravens fans down here actually want him out. But of course with McNair comes the Super Bowl talk and how they are winning not only the division but the Super Bowl and they will flex their gun toating muscles. Their O-line is old, Ogden cant block a jelly doughnut anymore let alone a back side blitzer, and even the ravens fan across from me at work said he isnt sold on ol 'Air' McNair. Jamal Lewis is still having flash backs to that half way house and Ray Lewis is too busy promoting his over priced steak house. As far as I see it the Flying Rats have 3 things going for them...

1) Ed Reed is a hell of a player reguardless of where he plays. He would look very good along side of Troy some day. He plays and acts like a steeler.

2) Todd Heaps wife is gorgeous. I live in the same town as many of the players and once in a while I will see them around with their enterouge. I had the pleasure of seeing Todd and his wife in the mall the one day and she could be a model...drop dead gorgeous.

3) Billick will be out of here. The fans want him out. They refer to his camp as 'Camp Billick' because he gives vets 2 or 3 days off during the week and lets them go home. He only makes rookies and new signees stay at McDaniel College, where they have their training camp. As far as Im concerned the sooner this season is over, the sooner Billick falls on his face and he is outa here. Although rumor is either Fossil or Neuhisel will take over...we shall see
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:53 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Come on guys, be serious here. If you had to sit your behind in a purple seat to watch an NFL football game, would you feel like a man or would you feel like Barney? I really believe Billick's days are numbered if he doesn't turn the Rats around this season, as well.

Unfortunately, I also believe Marty-ball will be over in San Diego if the Chargers don't make the playoffs this season, especially given the tense relationship between Marty and the Chargers' owner. That is never a good thing no matter how you slice it.

Mike Nolan took over the 49ers last season and his head could be on the chopping block if he can't make something happen this season. Sure, he doesn't really have all that much to work with, but owners usually don't see it that way. It's been quite a while since a 49er team has been on top.

Art Shell? Though I feel Shell is the perfect HC fit for this team (and some of their problem children), I am skeptical of Al Davis and his patience level with HC's. He is salivating for a championship and has changed coaches like we change our underwear. Thank God Wiz didn't consider the HC offer -that is the last organization I would want one of our own HCing for.

Just some thoughts.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

I though coach Shrek aka Brian Billick would have gotten the boot last year. If they have another crappy year, he will be gone.

I suspect Jeff Fisher will be gone. Wasn't there some issues with him and management over the Young pick?
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Midnightwriter07
Starter

Member Number: 2305

I cant believe Fisher is still there. I though for usre he would get the boot, I think when they finish this year at the bottom of the toilet bowl, he will be gone and they will bring in a new coach and start fresh with A New Coach, Vince young and White as well as next year they will be getting one of the top 5 picks. Fisher will get a job elsewhere.. maybe in Baltimore or possibly in S.D.. To his credit, he has a shit F/O who spent wayyy to much and ****ed the team a long time ago with the cap management. that is where the Steelers have differed.

Billick makes me want to punch him just by lookingat him. I hate that man and i want him to stay in Baltimore as well as R Lewis cause it just makes me dislike the other teams in the division that much more.

I LOVE OUR DIVISION BECAUSE ALL THE TEAMS LITERALLY HATE ONE ANOTHER !!

how perfect is that ?
Midnightwriter07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

If Billick isn't in the playoffs,this year...we won't get to make fun of him anymore because he won't be coaching anywhere.

I feel bad for Marty,because his team's GM is a total assclown.If they fail to make the playoffs this year,it's Marty's fault.If they fail next year to,then who is A.J. gonna blame?

I think Jeff Fischer will be coaching a new team next year.I don't think he's getting along well with managment,and if the Titans don't turn it around this year they will either fire him or he'll leave.He'll end up in San Diego or Baltimore.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:37 PM   #10
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

I dare say::

Andy Reid. Last year can be chalked up as a fluke, but I feel that he doesn't produce a winning team for Philly this year... by that I mean getting them past the first round of the playoffs. He may be out the door.

His pass heavy offense hasn't gotten it done. He better adapt. Fans out here are very antsy for something to cheer about.