Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #61
PATS16N0
Brady Ball-Washer

Member Number: 20804
Default Re: Peyton Manning throws game-losing INT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Karma for cheating to win SBs. You're reaping what you sowed. Haven't won one since you got caught, have you?
You never "caught us" cheating in Superbowls.
That's because we weren't "cheating" in Superbowls.

We were found to be "in violation of league rules" by video-taping a Jets practice.
How you correlate that with "cheating" to win three Superbowls I have no idea, but it's quite the leap with about one hundred dots completely unconnected. EVERY team in the NFL was told THAT year they could no longer do that, meaning EVERY team was doing it, which has been validated by the remarks of Jimmy Johnson, Bill Cowher, and many others.

Everyone was doing it. It was an NFL formality.

Are you honestly saying the Patriots video-tapes practices, which gave them inside knowledge of every play an opponent was going to call, which they then used, on the spot, to call the precise counter-play, which every player knew, and they did this play after play after play after play?

Sounds a little ridiculous when you think it through, eh?

The Patriots won three Superbowls by being the best team, at the best times, in the National Football League. Period.
PATS16N0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #62
charlesk
Banned

Member Number: 24477

I tend to agree with you bro. Not a big Pats fan of course but I hate the jerks that think their superbowls should be taken away or asteriks inserted in the books. I think it was in poor taste and showed a lack of class (like belching out loud in church) but I don't think it really hurt anyone (much like belching in church). People are envious of the Pats success. From a purely objective point of view it is fun to see other teams win (I am not objective though; I am a Ravens fan). Hope the Ravens can put an end to the Pats success next week. Was at the game in Denver but can't make to the one in MA. Peace out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriots View Post

We were found to be "in violation of league rules" by video-taping a Jets practice.
How you correlate that with "cheating" to win three Superbowls I have no idea, but it's quite the leap with about one hundred dots completely unconnected. EVERY team in the NFL was told THAT year they could no longer do that, meaning EVERY team was doing it, which has been validated by the remarks of Jimmy Johnson, Bill Cowher, and many others.

Are you honestly saying the Patriots video-tapes practices, which gave them inside knowledge of every play an opponent was going to call, which they then used, on the spot, to call the precise counter-play, which every player knew, and they did this play after play after play after play?

The Patriots won three Superbowls by being the best team, at the best times, in the National Football League. Period.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #63
PATS16N0
Brady Ball-Washer

Here's Jimmy Johnson on "Spygate"

Q: How about the spying thing Jimmy. Youíre a coach does that bother you what Belichick did?

JJ: Oh please. Iíve said it on our show. Eighteen years ago a scout for the Chiefs told me what they did, and he said what you need to do is just take your camera and you go and zoom in on the signal caller and that way you can sync it up. The problem is that if theyíre not on the press box side you canít do it from the press box, you have to do it from the sideline. This was 18 years ago.

Q: You think the NFL came down too hard on them?

JJ: No, no, I said it on the show. He was wrong for doing it for the simple reason that the league knew this was going on not just in New England but around the league. And the league sent out the memorandum to all of the teams saying you cannot do this. And so thatís when Bill Belichick was wrong. After he got the memorandum saying donít do it any more, he did it.

Q: Did you ever steal signals?

JJ: Oh in a heartbeat, yeah. Yes I did.

Q: Via video, Jimmy? Or no?

JJ: Oh yeah, I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league. Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because youíre going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace.

Q: But did you do it by taping the signal caller?

JJ: Yeah.

Q: Oh you did.

JJ: Thatís what Iím saying. I was saying one of Marty Schottenheimerís scouts, Mark Hatley, who has passed away now, Mark told me thatís how they did it, and Howard Mudd their offensive line coach with Kansas City, who now coaches for Tony Dungy, he was the best in the entire league at stealing signals.

Q: Whereíd you put your guy who was videotaping? Where was he?

JJ: My guy was up with my camera crew in the press box. So youíd just put an extra camera up with your camera crew in the press box who zoomed in on the signal callers. Thatís the best way to do it, but anyway you canít always do that because the press box camera crew might be on the same side as the opposing team. If theyíre on the same side as the opposing team thatís when you need to do it from the sideline.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #64
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Not taking anything away from the Pats, but Andy Reid costed the Eagles SB39 with his poor clock management. He continued to coach like this(which is why eventually the team regressed). And Mike Martz abandoned the run in SB36.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #65
PATS16N0
Brady Ball-Washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCarr39 View Post
Not taking anything away from the Pats, but Andy Reid costed the Eagles SB39 with his poor clock management. He continued to coach like this(which is why eventually the team regressed). And Mike Martz abandoned the run in SB36.
I thought that was McNabb being an idiot?
Old 01-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #66
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Quote:
I thought that was McNabb being an idiot?
Again, I'm not taking anything away from the Patriots SB victories, but the point I was trying to make was that there are many factors that play in why teams win or lose.

To be fair, my team(Dallas) had that infamous Herschel Walker highway robbery once upon a time ago - otherwise, Jimmy Johnson would to this day be considered an average coach, Troy Aikman just another journeyman QB, and neither of them would have any broadcasting booth jobs, much less the ones where they have it front and center.

As for winning SBs - it's easier said than done. Bud Grant went to 4 of them and came up with nothing. Bill Walsh on the contrary won every SB he coached in. It's just part of the game.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #67
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:

You're kidding, right? Everyone knows that your team cheated for a number of years to win games that got you to the SB. The league even trashed the tapes to protect it and your team. Maybe you should take an objective look at what the players and talking heads had to say about the issue. I can't make this shit up.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #68
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,464 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

new york just owns boston. like the giants own the patriots and yankees own the red sox
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:39 PM   #69
dez09231
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11142

The league destroying the tapes is fishy as hell. It makes you wonder what was on those tapes. If it was something more significant, the league could've destroyed them to protect the brand. If it came out that the team of the decade won 3 championships by nefarious means, it would be financially detrimental.

However, what was reported being on those tapes, assuming that taping practice was really the only thing on them, didn't win the Patriots rings.
dez09231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #70
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Karma for what? Playing 60 minutes of football?
I dunno - how about the fact that he was still playing late into a 59-24 blowout, which is when he originally got injured?

No sympathy here.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote