Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #111
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts
Default Re: Stop kidding youselfs; Flacco is solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Ben has never played in a Superbowl the way Flacco played yesterday,
Ben has never been voted SB MVP and didn't deserve it either.
That's for on-the-field criterias

Now, let's talk about off-the-field criterias
Flacco doesn't run his mouth the way Ben does
Flacco hasn't been accused of 2 sexual assaults

After this season, Flacco ranks ahead of Ben, no question. Career wise? Ben still has an edge but it's not a big one and the gap is narrowing very quickly.

Oh, and whoever ranked Ben #2 QB at this point needs to pass around what he's smoking.
Agreed about running his mouth - Flacco had major issues with Cam Cameron as offensive coordinator but did not engage in the constant passive-aggressive bullshit like Ben did with regard to Arians and Haley- Ben should have focused his efforts on telling the Young Money WRs to shut up and play, but if the veteran QB has a me first attitude the younger players are going to follow that attitude

And Flacco has never missed a snap - injuries are freaky but a starting QB not missing games every season counts for something

Flacco had a great post-season - based on both current performance and age Ben needs to step it up to be regarded as the best QB in the AFC North
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #112
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
Flacco doesn't run his mouth the way Ben does
Right...

Quote:
“We didn’t come out and play like we wanted in the second half, obviously,” Flacco said, via CSNBaltimore.com. “I think there have been games this year when we’ve come out throwing the ball because we’ve been down a lot, and you (reporters) have all complained about it. Now, this week we kind of came out and we honestly played conservative. And when we didn’t, we missed a couple plays, whether it was a drop or a missed throw here (or there).

“I wish you guys would help me out a little bit and start complaining a little bit that we play a little too conservative and put pressure on our coaches to not do that.”
http://thepurplechaos.com/2011/12/28...-play-calling/

Quote:
On Wednesday, Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco raised a few eyebrows when he admitted the team's hurry-up offense probably would go a bit faster if he were calling his own plays instead of looking to the sidelines and waiting for offensive coordinator Cam Cameron to send in the play. One of the Ravens most glaring weaknesses in their two losses this season has been their inability to move the ball quickly when they got down two scores and were trying to rally.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...nd-coordinator

And don't even get me started on his "I'm the best QB in the NFL" proclamation.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #113
dez09231
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11142

Flacco has proven himself. I don't know what all was said in here, but the guy has proven that he's a winner. I don't think I would put him over Ben for a whole season, but I would rather have Flacco in a playoff run.
dez09231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #114
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
My Mood: Devilish

7th best.

I rest my case.

Steelers, Heat, Kevin Harvick #4
Steelers Fever's least popular user, formerly known as Quackjack.
The_Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #115
dez09231
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11142

I say he's 4-6th. Second tier, along with Peyton and Ben.
dez09231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #116
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
I hate him, you hate him, we all hate him, but c'mon. The man has won far to many playoff games in a short period of time for him to be labeled solid.

Still not as good as Ben though.
He's solid at times, he really showed that by stepping up in the playoffs. However, during the regular season he was great at home and HORRIBLE on the road putting up high school QB numbers. If he gets that huge contract this offseason then he has to prove he can be consistent.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:37 PM   #117
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justp94 View Post
He's solid at times, he really showed that by stepping up in the playoffs. However, during the regular season he was great at home and HORRIBLE on the road putting up high school QB numbers. If he gets that huge contract this offseason then he has to prove he can be consistent.
Yeah, that's the crazy thing. He gets beat by Charlie Batch this year and then wins it all. He's better than I thought he was I concede but I'm with you, I think he still needs to prove he's consistent. That doesn't mean I think he's a bad or even average QB but it's a fair question.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #118
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts

A lot of life is out of your control (what if Archie Manning had played for the Steelers and Bradshaw had played for the Saints in the 1970s - who would be in Canton then?) - if the Denver DB does not have a brain freeze at the end of regulation the question asked about Flacco would not be whether he is elite but whether the Ravens need another QB to win it all

But instead Flacco had one of the best QB post-seasons in NFL history

Questions I Never, Ever Thought I Would Have to Ask for $200, Alex

Did Joe Flacco just have the best playoffs of any quarterback we've ever seen?

Not joking. This is a conversation that absolutely needs to be had. The Flacchise has numbers that place him into that discussion, and if anything, the numbers might underrate how good he's been during these playoffs.

Let's start with the numbers, though, because they're staggering. Flacco finished the postseason having gone 73-of-126 (57.9 percent) for 1,140 passing yards with 11 touchdowns and zero interceptions. Eleven to zero. Only one other player since the merger has produced a touchdown-to-interception ratio equal to or better than that in the playoffs, and it's a guy who has a pretty sterling postseason reputation: Joe Montana.

Montana's 1989 season pretty clearly stands out to me as the greatest postseason run since 1970, but I've gone ahead and listed some other notable Super Bowl–winning postseasons that might put Flacco's big January into context:

The article has a chart tat i could not cut and paste

Whatever adjectives you want to attach to Flacco are a matter of personal preference. I just know that there are a lot of "elite" quarterbacks who will never have a playoff run as good as the one Joe Flacco just delivered — and that labels often find themselves obstructed, for better or worse, by the Super Bowl ring on a quarterback's finger.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...in-perspective
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
RavensD (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #119
jacobo
Team Captain

Member Number: 24766

Can't wait to see how good he is without Boldin and Jones. $20 mil a year? Welcome to cap hell Baltimore.

And people suggesting he's better than Ben, shut up. Few qbs with as little talent as Ben have won as much as he has. Since 05 the worst offensive line in the league. Never had a legit number 1 except Plax for like four games in his first year (I love Hines but he's not a prototypical 1: height, speed etc), a few good years from Willie but not a great runningback past that, an offensive coordinator that didn't know shit about subtly and protecting him, and another that's too scared to take shots down the field when they have chances. Put Brees, Manning, Brady, Flacco (lol, would just love to see that) in Pittsburgh and Ben in any of their situations. He'd put up 5000 yards a year with 40 tds and consistently win 13 games every year with bunches of Lombardis.

He's good, no doubt. Brees money good? Nope. Brees isn't even deserving of that contract, let alone Flacco.
jacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #120
BleedPurple
Starter

Member Number: 19142

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
Can't wait to see how good he is without Boldin and Jones. $20 mil a year? Welcome to cap hell Baltimore.

And people suggesting he's better than Ben, shut up. Few qbs with as little talent as Ben have won as much as he has. Since 05 the worst offensive line in the league. Never had a legit number 1 except Plax for like four games in his first year (I love Hines but he's not a prototypical 1: height, speed etc), a few good years from Willie but not a great runningback past that, an offensive coordinator that didn't know shit about subtly and protecting him, and another that's too scared to take shots down the field when they have chances. Put Brees, Manning, Brady, Flacco (lol, would just love to see that) in Pittsburgh and Ben in any of their situations. He'd put up 5000 yards a year with 40 tds and consistently win 13 games every year with bunches of Lombardis.

He's good, no doubt. Brees money good? Nope. Brees isn't even deserving of that contract, let alone Flacco.
So Big Ben is more talented than Tom Brady / Payton Manning, he just doesn't have the O-Line?

Big Ben is a talented QB with a mediocre work ethic and he will never be in the same conversation as Tom Brady. Neither will Flacco, but at least I'm not delusional.

EDIT: And how is your o-line supposed to protect Ben when he holds on to the ball for 10+ seconds while trying to find a receiver? The guy is KNOWN for extending plays, which is great for his personal glory but when 50% of his sacks are coverage sacks it makes his line look worse than it is.
BleedPurple is offline   Reply With Quote