Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #21
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,318 Times in 3,489 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Good video on Haley and Ben's problems

ben getting injured and coming back not 100% killed the season. and having no running game due to injuries on the o-line.

i thought haley's offense looked great until the above happened. he was doing a great job
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,489 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
ben getting injured and coming back not 100% killed the season. and having no running game due to injuries on the o-line.

i thought haley's offense looked great until the above happened. he was doing a great job
I completely agree. And all this Haley Vs. Ben is just the media trying to make a story out of nothing.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #23
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjack View Post
He also said we can't. Arians never had a back to work with. I supported getting rid of Arians, but he threw so much because we never had a back to work with. It's a big mess really.
Arians had FWP and Mendenhall. Never had a back to work with? Wow.

Arians got rid of the power running game. The David Johnson experiment was a failure. DJ whiffed on more blocks than any player I can remember outside of Sean Mahan.

Arians and Tomlin both went with the "draft weapons for Ben don't worry about an OL" philosophy that has resulted in the inability to run the football.

Mendenhall claimed they hardly ever practiced running the ball and wanted a good lead blocker. Now Will Johnson has taken over for David Johnson and the kid has potential. Another reason I like Haley.

You could say Haley has not had a back to work with since Mendenhall was injured- but don't say a thousand yard feature back like Mendenhall is "nothing to work with."
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
EbonySteel86 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #24
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I completely agree. And all this Haley Vs. Ben is just the media trying to make a story out of nothing.
It's interesting you say this because Marshall Faulk said exactly the opposite.

Faulk said that players calling out their coaches is usually reserved for primadonna receivers like TO and he can't believe the media isn't jumping on Roethlisberger for criticising Haley to the press.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #25
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Arians was too damn stubborn to "tweak" it, maybe if he had he would still be our OC.
Finally someone who puts Arians departure on Arians. If Arians had produced a top 10 offense he would still have his job. His failure to produce a consistent, effective offense is why he was "forced into retirement."

If Roethlisberger had come into camp in shape, and stayed out of trouble off the field Arians would still be there. Roethlisberger was an undisciplined mess under Arians. If Roethlisberger was a qb who did not need a babysitter the Steelers would not have hired a babysitter to watch him.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #26
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
If Ben doesn't get hurt we would have ended up being #1 in our division
"In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #27
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,489 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
It's interesting you say this because Marshall Faulk said exactly the opposite.

Faulk said that players calling out their coaches is usually reserved for primadonna receivers like TO and he can't believe the media isn't jumping on Roethlisberger for criticising Haley to the press.
again, that's just media ppl taking the situation out of perspective. I haven't seen any reason to believe that Ben and Haley have serious problems with one another.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #28
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,055 Times in 886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Bruce Arians had Willie Parker and Rashard Mendenhall. But still opted for throwing the ball a lot anyway. Arians didn't respect the merits of a complimentary running game.
And neither Parker nor Mendenhall are power running backs like Bettis so Arians went in another direction. I think BA "respected" a running game just as any other OC would but without a big back it's hard to HAVE that running game. So, since Ben was a prolific passer and the team had a decent stable of receivers, BA played the hand he was dealt and went more in the direction of a passing game.

And no, I'm not "apologizing", I'm just recognizing the reality of the situation. You can't use a sports car to do work that requires a truck.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #29
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
And neither Parker nor Mendenhall are power running backs like Bettis so Arians went in another direction. I think BA "respected" a running game just as any other OC would but without a big back it's hard to HAVE that running game. So, since Ben was a prolific passer and the team had a decent stable of receivers, BA played the hand he was dealt and went more in the direction of a passing game.

And no, I'm not "apologizing", I'm just recognizing the reality of the situation. You can't use a sports car to do work that requires a truck.
Bettis' last 1000 yard season was in 2001. I'm not sure how he has any relevance in discussing Arians inability to run the ball. FWP would likely have led the league in rushing if he hadn't broken his leg in 2007. FWP was a helluva RB in his own right.

You get farther in a sports car than you do in a truck.

Mendenhall was the main back during Arians era but for all the love he gets you would think he was a 500 yard rusher and the worst back in the league.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #30
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,055 Times in 886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Bettis' last 1000 yard season was in 2001. I'm not sure how he has any relevance in discussing Arians inability to run the ball. FWP would likely have led the league in rushing if he hadn't broken his leg in 2007. FWP was a helluva RB in his own right.

You get farther in a sports car than you do in a truck.

Mendenhall was the main back during Arians era but for all the love he gets you would think he was a 500 yard rusher and the worst back in the league.
Because he wasn't a power back.

How many times did Mendenhall get stuffed at the line of scrimmage versus how many times he ran for miles when he got outside?

Mendenhall would be great in a spread offense, or a West Coast offense or whatever you'd want to call an offense that doesn't depend upon a big runner gaining significant yardage by running between the tackles.

But after years of "Steeler Football" which featured big tailbacks with a fullback blocking, we suddenly found ourselves with lighter-weight backs as well as a perpetually injured O-line and neither of those makes for any kind of consistent power running game.

So what's the alternative?

Passing.

Or more specifically a pass-first offense that sets up the run and the runs it sets up are primarily outside runs and I think that's what BA was trying to do -- particularly when you have someone like Ben as the passer.
But a team like the Steelers, which has relied on a power running game for decades being asked to change gears to become a passing team isn't something that can be done in a season or two. Even if we had the personnel, the philosophy itself had to be changed and that comes from the Front Office and then trickles down to the team itself. But it's pretty obvious that the FO wasn't comfortable with it and as such they never really made a true effort to recruit the players to make it work. In the back of their minds, they still had this vision of "Steeler Football" and that vision didn't include a big time passing offense, so the best we could hope for was some sort of half-assed hybrid.

Look at the teams remaining in tjhe playoffs. All of them have good running games but can any of them - including the Ravens - really be called a running team? I don't think so. I also don't think of them as passing teams either but rather teams that have adapted to the modern game and who use running or passing to set up both as needed which is something that we can't seem to get a handle on. I think that BA tried, but he was bucking tradition and never really got the commitment from the FO that he needed.

All I know is that if the Steelers are going to be successful into the future, we can't "Be" just one thing but rather need to be able to morph into what we need to be when we need to do so and we're nowhere near that right now. Belichick recognized that years ago and as a result, the Pats defiy description because they the ability to adjust to any situation and that's the main reason why they've been so consistently successful for so long.

The days of "Imposing One's Will" against other teams are over and the sooner we realize that the better.
GoFor7 (01-14-2013)