Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #31
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts
Default Re: 2013 Draft: Maybe it needs to be about offense instead of defense

Man, if there was a year to have 2 1st rounders, it would be this year for the steelers. I wish the Steelers had found a sucker to take on Wallace last year for a 1st rounder. Oh well.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #32
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Havent read all the posts in this thread, but here is my take on it. I think we are really young on offense and outside of perhaps a Running Back I really think we have to focus on reloading thr defense at LB and DB. Having said that if there is a WR or even an OL that is just too big a 'prize'one to pass up, we should take them.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #33
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Delanie Walker or Martellus Bennett. Problem solved.
Delanie walker was tied for 16th most drops in the NFC with 7. He only caught 21 passes. He dropped 3 passes in one game. No thanks.

Stephen A Smith had something to say about Martellus...

[YOUTUBE]XdyyWQmFyoA[/YOUTUBE]
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #34
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Wallace was ranked 34th out of the leagues WR's this season. Bad year? That's utter shit for a #1 WR. That's 5 million a year play, right there.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #35
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 19,121 Times in 8,076 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
It depends on who's available. If Bernard is on the board then we have to take him, but that's the only scenario in which we don't take a WR in the second round.
SteelersCanada, I had a thought this morning.

When does the offense stall? The red zone. For whom does BB target in the red-zone? Heath Miller. Why?

BB has been asking for a tall WR, because he knows that in the red-zone, Wallace's main asset (speed) is taken away by the shortened field. AB is a little short for the jump ball. But, Heath is his main target... because of his size.

Likewise, what do Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, and many other WRs have over AB and Sanders? Height. Now, I am not just saying draft a tall WR because he's tall... but, a tall WR might be the catalyst for changing FGs into TDs.

Or... maybe... another quality TE... such as Ertz.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #36
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,823 Times in 1,837 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I hear what you're saying. Overload one side of the ball. It's clever.

Let me counter with a few thoughts.

1. Resign Wallace. He had a bad year... and was still good. If he's resigned, then no need for a WR.

2. Heath's injury made TE a need. But, Paulson looks like a good #2 (pass catcher, but not blocker). Maybe a third TE, to replace Pope.

3. I'm not a fan of taking a RB early. It's a weak draft at the top... but, a deep draft. I'd add a RB to compete... but, honestly, I'm not sure any RB not drafted would be better than what the Steelers already have. Maybe a rookie "could" be better, but maybe not; no one blows me away in this draft.

I say draft Lattimore, IR him until week 7, and then insert him into the line-up.

4. The one area where the Steelers could upgrade is LG (Warmack, Cooper, Barrett Jones). That would help ANY RB. That said, I think that they go with Beachum (or Foster).

5. DEFENSE
The Steelers could be a smothering type of defense, if they add a few parts.

The secondary was great, and adding a young S will only make it better.

Troy had his "injured season" this season; next season is his healthy season. (He alternates seasons.)

Harrison was coming on at the end. Adding a young OLB (rotating with Harrison) will help keep him fresh.

Woodley will get a kick in his butt, and come back to his 12-sack form for next season.

McClendon will get a chance to start. And, Heyward will rotate.

Lastly, Spence should be an upgrade.

SUMMATION:
If it were somewhere in between, here's what I would propose.

R1: S
R2: OLB
R3: WR (tall)
R4: RB (Lattimore)
R5: TE
This is a really objective way to look at it - we can all sit here and say we have needs for whatever reasons at almost every position - I like that you went D in first two rounds because this draft will be heavy with D talent - and I think you need to get the best asap this year - O talent doesn't blow me away either - but I think we can find guys that will contribute and support the roster at that position in the mid rounds (3&4 as you noted) - TE is a real toss up for me still - we might be able to get someone undrafted -maybe even another Will Johnson type pickup in terms of unknown with some real assets we can utilize at a low price without using the draft

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #37
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

using drafttek.com new mock, and a 3rd round for Sanders Tender(guessing they will tender him a 3rd, I doubt anybody takes him for a 3rd but it's just for fun)

1st - OLB - Mingo
2nd - FS - Bacarri Rambo
3rd(sanders tender) - SS - Phillip Thomas
3rd - RB -Andre Elington / Mike Gillislee / Kenjon Barner (I kind of like Gillislee the best)
4th - WR - Cobi Hamilton
5th - TE - Michael Williams
6th - ILB - AJ Klein / WR - Aaron Mellette

I think this hits everything, future OLB , future Splash play safeties, Good running back that would fit Haley system perfect , a very good WR that's not a midget, a Run blocking TE with some redzone use , another taller good WR or depth at the ILB
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #38
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Ah, that's right. I remember now... a healthy Harrison & Troy probably had nothing to do with that.

Got it.

So, why draft defense at all? All they need to do is for Josh Victorian to play really aggressively... yes?
There are plently of defenses in the league that don't have a Harrison or a Polamalu and still get more turnovers than the Steelers. The Steelers played conservative on defense all season until the last two games. Not enough pressure up front, and the DBs were instructed to "tackle the catch" instead of trying to jump a route and pick off a pass.

Josh Victorian playing really doesn't have anything to do with it. Wallace and Mendenhall are probably gone, as is Starks and at least one of Colon and Foster. Heath may not be ready for the start of the season. The Steelers will be much more shorthanded on offense than on defense by the time the draft rolls around. Considering what these playoffs have shown, you need to put up points. Ball control and hoping the defense keeps the team in it won't be enough.

Final scores in divisional weekend: 38-35, 45-31, 30-28, 38-28. Are the Steelers going to stubbornly stick to their philosophies and draft mostly defense, or will they accept it's time to change and load up on skill positions on offense?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #39
wwhickok
Starter

The more I truly think about it the less I am convinced that Wallace leaves. Perhaps Plaxico is chirping in his ear telling him the grass isn't always greener.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #40
wwhickok
Starter

The early rumors are that Rey Maualuga won't remain in Cincy....do any of you think the Steelers would target him? I think he could be a nice fit beside Timmons.