Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #21
dez09231
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11142
Default Re: How will posterity remember Peyton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriots View Post

The Colts were guaranteed a post-season spot just about every season. All they had to do was beat up expansion teams.

Since the realignment in 2002 up until the 10-11 playoffs, since Peyton sat out the next year, the AFC East has sent 13 teams to the playoffs. In that same time period, the AFC South sent 15 teams to the playoffs.

There were 6 spots not represented by the Colts or Patriots in both eras in each division.

The 6 South teams that were in the playoffs were a combined 69-27, or a .718 winning percentage, and the Eastern teams were a combined 50-46, or a .520 winning percentage.

Empirical evidence suggests that not only has the AFC South had better quality teams overall, but that there have also been more quality teams in the South than the East during that time.

So if Peyton was "given" the division over and again, then Brady was served his as breakfast in bed.
dez09231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dez09231 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #22
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,192 Times in 474 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPatriots View Post

The Colts were guaranteed a post-season spot just about every season. All they had to do was beat up expansion teams.

says the guy whos division includes the likes of the jets, bills and dophins
vasteeler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vasteeler For This Useful Post:
NSMaster56 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #23
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
says the guy whos division includes the likes of the jets, bills and dophins
Yeah no kidding. You can't claim Peyton benefited from a weak division when you've had the likes of those as competition. Anyhow, to answer the original question. I think he'll still be remembered as a great one as he should but he'll also be remembered for his failures also as he should be. I'm not sure about Brady. What kind of amuses me is he's put up his best offensive numbers in years he hasn't won the SB. When the Pats were a more balanced team, that's when he was winning the SBs with them. I'd still take Montana or Elway with a game on the line over Brady. That doesn't mean Brady sucks fwiw but I'd probably take those two over Brady if I could have any QB from any time to start a team.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #24
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
Yeah no kidding. You can't claim Peyton benefited from a weak division when you've had the likes of those as competition. Anyhow, to answer the original question. I think he'll still be remembered as a great one as he should but he'll also be remembered for his failures also as he should be. I'm not sure about Brady. What kind of amuses me is he's put up his best offensive numbers in years he hasn't won the SB. When the Pats were a more balanced team, that's when he was winning the SBs with them. I'd still take Montana or Elway with a game on the line over Brady. That doesn't mean Brady sucks fwiw but I'd probably take those two over Brady if I could have any QB from any time to start a team.
Montana had that very rotten playoff loss against Minnesota in 1987. Niners were the #1 seed playing against an above average team(who happened to play their 2 best games against them and New Orleans in the WC round). He was also benched in that game for Steve Young. He also wasn't any better in those 3 Giants playoff losses.

Elway lost his first 3 SBs by blowouts. BTW, he DID have a running game in the 3rd SB, and the 2nd SB was against an above average "winning ugly" Redskins team.

Ultimately, it's hard to win SBs.