Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492
Default Steelers don't rule out drafting a QB in the 1st round

Steelers don't rule out drafting quarterback early
By Marc Sessler
Published: Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:19 a.m. Updated: Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:38 a.m.

Ben Roethlisberger has been a fixture under center for the Pittsburgh Steelers dating back to 2004, but is the team beginning to think ahead?

Coming off a disappointing 8-8 campaign, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Wednesday the team could see a major roster shakeup in the offseason. Colbert's most surprising revelation came at quarterback, where Pittsburgh is open to drafting a passer in the first round for the first time in almost a decade.

"We won't close the door on any position in any round," Colbert told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We can't ... Once we get into free agency and the draft, I don't see any position that's off limits."

It's notable because the Steelers have publicly swatted down the concept of drafting a quarterback in the early rounds ever since Big Ben was chosen 11th overall in 2004. The team has mainly relied on old-as-trees veterans at the position. Roethlisberger has been durable -- and certainly productive -- enough to allow that.

The 30-year-old, two-time Super Bowl winner started 13 games this season, but battled through painful injuries for the second year in a row. Roethlisberger still played at an MVP level for stretches, and Pittsburgh isn't about to uproot him for another, but the team is acknowledging that even their sturdy situation under center can't last forever.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...rterback-early
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default Re: Steelers don't rule out drafting a QB in the 1st round

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
By Marc Sessler

Ben Roethlisberger has been a fixture under center for the Pittsburgh Steelers dating back to 2004, but is the team beginning to think ahead?

Coming off a disappointing 8-8 campaign, Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said Wednesday the team could see a major roster shakeup in the offseason. Colbert's most surprising revelation came at quarterback, where Pittsburgh is open to drafting a passer in the first round for the first time in almost a decade.

"We won't close the door on any position in any round," Colbert told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We can't ... Once we get into free agency and the draft, I don't see any position that's off limits."

It's notable because the Steelers have publicly swatted down the concept of drafting a quarterback in the early rounds ever since Big Ben was chosen 11th overall in 2004. The team has mainly relied on old-as-trees veterans at the position. Roethlisberger has been durable -- and certainly productive -- enough to allow that.

The 30-year-old, two-time Super Bowl winner started 13 games this season, but battled through painful injuries for the second year in a row. Roethlisberger still played at an MVP level for stretches, and Pittsburgh isn't about to uproot him for another, but the team is acknowledging that even their sturdy situation under center can't last forever.

They won't - but if there's a chance, it may drive up trade value on the pick.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,854 Times in 1,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
By Marc Sessler

as a lot have said - 4-5 seasons left is the average expectancy - more than that would be surprising (think healthy consistent line as he gets older - best scenario for his longevity)

With that thought - getting a QB in the first round this year would be a mistake with all the needs and D talent available. This to me would be more shocking than picking a RB in the first-second round. Would it be less shocking and likely over the next 2 drafts? Yup - the clock is ticking and every injury is going to have an impact - he's going to take longer and longer to come back and when he comes back - be effective in time.

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,123 Times in 5,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
They won't - but if there's a chance, it may drive up trade value on the pick.
^^This^^

None of the QBs are top-ten caliber... but, 17-20 is a good landing spot for those QBs. Plus, Dallas is rumored to want a young QB.

Thus, teams like Jacksonville (who have a top-ten pick & need a QB) might be more inclined to trade back up into R1 (to 17-20), in order to get said QB.

If the price is driven up due to perceived want, Pittsburgh could get a R2 & aR3 this year, and likely a R1 next year.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I think they have backed themselves into a corner with some of their personnel decisions the last few years (Harrison $57 million, Ben $107 million, etc.).

We need to jusr go into rebuilding mode, forget about the playoffs the next two years. Stop drafting to fill needs and get back to drafting the best players available-- that is how we have built dominant rosters around the burgh for decades. Art II changed some of that when he took over a few years ago.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,123 Times in 5,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I think they have backed themselves into a corner with some of their personnel decisions the last few years (Harrison $57 million, Ben $107 million, etc.).

We need to jusr go into rebuilding mode, forget about the playoffs the next two years. Stop drafting to fill needs and get back to drafting the best players available-- that is how we have built dominant rosters around the burgh for decades. Art II changed some of that when he took over a few years ago.
I'm not so sure that they haven't drafted the BPA. Sometimes, those picks at 32 are simply good, but not elite.

For example, I think that DD was the BPA at 24. With Foster already playing well, and the departure of Farrior, ILB was probably the bigger "need."

Of course, I never see drafting O-line in R1 as a wasted pick. That's just me.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,854 Times in 1,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I'm not so sure that they haven't drafted the BPA. Sometimes, those picks at 32 are simply good, but not elite.

For example, I think that DD was the BPA at 24. With Foster already playing well, and the departure of Farrior, ILB was probably the bigger "need."

Of course, I never see drafting O-line in R1 as a wasted pick. That's just me.
and while none of us want a mediocre to bad season, or two or 3 in a row - sometimes those are the opportunities that create better SB-quality rosters down the road. The late 90s and early 2000s set some things up very nicely for us - this is the only way I keep myself sane in down season(s)

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

0 chance we draft a QB but I don't mind other twams thinking we will
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,162 Times in 3,096 Posts

We won't rule out drafting a Quarterback = we're giving a reason for teams to be concerned about us drafting a Quarterback and thus, if you want to make sure you have your guy, you're going to have to give us more picks.

No team is legitimately worried about the Steelers taking a QB in the first round.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
wwhickok (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

Here's a mock draft from NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts

They got for the Steelers:

Matt Elam - S