Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211
Default 2013 Draft: Maybe it needs to be about offense instead of defense

Anybody notice how the seemingly "great" defenses are giving up a lot of points in the playoffs? We've seen final scores of 38-35, 45-31, and 30-28. Wallace and Mendenhall are likely gone, as are Starks and at least one of Colon or Foster. Heath Miller may not be ready for the start of the 2013 season. For a team that needs more from its offense, that unit won't exactly be put into a position to succeed next season if this upcoming draft is mostly about defense.

I won't be disappointed if the Steelers draft a pass-rushing OLB in one of the higher rounds, but this team will desperately need at least a TE, RB, a tall WR, and maybe even another OG above any other defensive position. Resigning Plax also needs to be an option for depth.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoFor7 For This Useful Post:
teegre (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,675 Times in 7,883 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: 2013 Draft: Maybe it needs to be about offense instead of defense

I hear what you're saying. Overload one side of the ball. It's clever.

Let me counter with a few thoughts.

1. Resign Wallace. He had a bad year... and was still good. If he's resigned, then no need for a WR.

2. Heath's injury made TE a need. But, Paulson looks like a good #2 (pass catcher, but not blocker). Maybe a third TE, to replace Pope.

3. I'm not a fan of taking a RB early. It's a weak draft at the top... but, a deep draft. I'd add a RB to compete... but, honestly, I'm not sure any RB not drafted would be better than what the Steelers already have. Maybe a rookie "could" be better, but maybe not; no one blows me away in this draft.

I say draft Lattimore, IR him until week 7, and then insert him into the line-up.

4. The one area where the Steelers could upgrade is LG (Warmack, Cooper, Barrett Jones). That would help ANY RB. That said, I think that they go with Beachum (or Foster).

5. DEFENSE
The Steelers could be a smothering type of defense, if they add a few parts.

The secondary was great, and adding a young S will only make it better.

Troy had his "injured season" this season; next season is his healthy season. (He alternates seasons.)

Harrison was coming on at the end. Adding a young OLB (rotating with Harrison) will help keep him fresh.

Woodley will get a kick in his butt, and come back to his 12-sack form for next season.

McClendon will get a chance to start. And, Heyward will rotate.

Lastly, Spence should be an upgrade.

SUMMATION:
If it were somewhere in between, here's what I would propose.

R1: S
R2: OLB
R3: WR (tall)
R4: RB (Lattimore)
R5: TE
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
pete74 (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,333 Times in 4,000 Posts

R1. Dion Jordan
R2. Robert Woods / Giovani Bernard
R3. Nico Johnson
R4. Robert Lester

All we need is a RB and we're fine. Delanie Walker and Martellus Bennett are both UFA's and won't command top dollar as a stop-gap TE.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
casteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15446
My Mood: Sleepy

Rd 1- RB
Rd 2- LB
Rd 3- TE/Backup QB (if the Steelers cannot acquire one through trade)
Rd 4 -SS
Rd-5- WR
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

I would have to agree many people including myself wanted a heavy defensive draft. However looking at the teams like you said in the playoffs they all can put up points in bunches.

And looking at our defense without our older stars Harrison Hampton foote Troy and Clark and ill add dabread we have a lineup that looks like

Safety- Robert golden a guy the organization likes. No one really after him
Corner- ike( few more years) lewis( I believe we resign him), Allen, brown
Olb- Woolley, worlds( led our team in sacks till last game with limited time), not much after them
Ilb- Timmons, spence, slyvester
De- heyward, hood, fangupo, woods
Nt- McClendon, Taamu

Starters lineup you would have.
Safeties- golden, other spot?
Cb- Ike, Lewis, Allen brown
Olb- Woodley, worlids
Ilb- Timmons, then spence? Slyvester?
De- hood, heyward
Nt- McClendon

So the only ? That we have that will be pressing needs in a few years will be safety and ilb. And Troy and Clark have at least one year left maybe two based on health. So coming into this draft you have ilb concern. And just depth everyone else.

So I can agree that this draft can be heavy on offense and I wouldn't mind it.

The oline could always use a upgrade and warmack or cooper would be nice even Ben jones
Wr- I think Wallace will be gone to much money he wants and doesn't fit in Haley's system, so I think a high draft pick there. Sanders is best as a slot so we need a guy opposite brown
Rb- need a upgrade we have backups on our team
Te- Heath has a major injury and having good te is a must in the league now

We need help on both sides but offense may be the most pressing need
WokeUpWithaWoodley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,675 Times in 7,883 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
R1. Dion Jordan
R2. Robert Woods / Giovani Bernard
R3. Nico Johnson
R4. Robert Lester

All we need is a RB and we're fine. Delanie Walker and Martellus Bennett are both UFA's and won't command top dollar as a stop-gap TE.
That draft was a consensus w/ Gofor7. My draft is/has been some mixture of these three positions: S, OLB, ILB... (followed by Lattimore or another S, or a CB...).

We agree (S, OLB, ILB), although, you have those as three of the first four picks, and I see those as the first three picks.

Q: You have wanted a R2 WR. Are you now thinking/suggesting swapping that pick for a RB?
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Let me counter with a few thoughts.

1. Resign Wallace. He had a bad year... and was still good. If he's resigned, then no need for a WR.
I would like to see them resign Wallace, although realistically I'm not getting my hopes up. Even if he resigns, can the Steelers afford to keep Sanders too? Might need to start thinking future with a tall WR.

Quote:
2. Heath's injury made TE a need. But, Paulson looks like a good #2 (pass catcher, but not blocker). Maybe a third TE, to replace Pope.
Paulson is at best a backup. The Steelers need to start thinking about getting a TE with enough pedigree that could someday replace Heath as #1.

Quote:
3. I'm not a fan of taking a RB early. It's a weak draft at the top... but, a deep draft. I'd add a RB to compete... but, honestly, I'm not sure any RB not drafted would be better than what the Steelers already have. Maybe a rookie "could" be better, but maybe not; no one blows me away in this draft.
I wouldn't draft an RB any higher than the third round. Even then, that RB could have better pedigree than Dwyer and Redman

Quote:
4. The one area where the Steelers could upgrade is LG (Warmack, Cooper, Barrett Jones). That would help ANY RB. That said, I think that they go with Beachum (or Foster).
If they're serious about protecting Ben, then they need to do better than Beachum.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

I don't think olb is going to be our first round pick. It's not a pressing need as everyone thinks. Woodley had a bad year and should come back strong next year he will be a steeler for years. Harrison will be back one more healthy year then he is done. And Jason worlids showed his ability this year in very limited time and coming of wrist surgery, I believe he will be a good olb the verdit is out on him and he will be given one more maybe two to show his worth. So I don't think olb is such a pressing need to pick someone in the first one and I don't believe any olb that is worth a first round pick will be there at 17.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

As long as the first pick is a OLB, ILB, S, or WR I'll be fine with it. No RBs worth taking in the first and we have the personnel at OL to have a good one. I wouldn't necessarily be upset with a WR but we could still get a good one in the second if we wanted. TE isn't something worth addressing in the first yet and QB obviously no. This isn't a great year to take offense in the first round.

We definitely need a RB in the first three rounds though and we could use another receiver if Wallace leaves.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,982 Times in 4,272 Posts
My Mood: Happy

our defense is a helluva lot older than our offense though...
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote