Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
BlaZeQuietly
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
Default The prospect of just keeping mendenhall

Say we don't end up going after a big running back in the draft. Say game one next season we have Mendenhall, Dwyer, Redman and Rainey.

Rainey- he is obviously too small to be a #1 running back, probably a better kick punt returner. So count him out besides of extremely rare circumstances.

Dwyer / Redman As much as they are different they are also very much the same. Neither have a lot of stamina but are capable of running straight forward and picking up a few yards from time to time, but they are NOT the answer either, and we all know this by now.

If it becomes clear that were keeping mendenhall at some point, it is going to be clear we plan on starting him, I know we had a couple of good seasons, the his running style got figured out and he never adjusted, he has a poor attitude but for some reason has the build of a man who should be able to plow over or maneuver around defenders. He just looks like such an atheletic guy with a attitude problem. I've been saying to junk him. But if we don't I think out best option is to change his running style, get him running more straight forward with a bigger burst of speed, hes fast, he doesnt need to dance around he can use time to get a yardage. My question is do you think its possible to get mendy back in to a#1 running back position if we keep him. He as all the tools and a bad attitude and we doesnt know how to use his tools. Someone really needs to get on his ass about this, I Know expectations were high. If Pitt does NOT pick up a RB in the first round they better be really changing the way mendenhall plays because right now it is some of the worst in foot ball. Just look at some of his vidoes he like hops around towards the sign line and looses yardage all the time, hardly ever runs the ball up the middle and when he does he gets smashed. For a guy in such great shape it seems we could make someting better out of that, it would sure make the draft a whole lot easier if we knew we had mendy back to his old self, which im not confident about,
Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,847 Times in 5,696 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: The prospect of just keeping mendenhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
Say we don't end up going after a big running back in the draft. Say game one next season we have Mendenhall, Dwyer, Redman and Rainey.

Rainey- he is obviously too small to be a #1 running back, probably a better kick punt returner. So count him out besides of extremely rare circumstances.
we cut Chris Rainey, he is no longer a Pittsburgh Steeler.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:12 AM   #3
BlaZeQuietly
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
we cut Chris Rainey, he is no longer a Pittsburgh Steeler.
Good.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #4
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts

Mendenhall, while not being a bust, has been a huge disappointment. Running backs are a dime a dozen. Do some homework and get one in the 3rd, and hope he pans out as the starter.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,071 Posts

Running backs are a dime a dozen only when your offensive line is solid, which was hardly the case the last two years. If they stay healthy, we should be able to run the ball with just about anybody back there.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
stiller39 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,769 Times in 2,249 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Running backs are a dime a dozen only when your offensive line is solid, which was hardly the case the last two years. If they stay healthy, we should be able to run the ball with just about anybody back there.
spot on - as indicated by Dwyer and Redman's performances before Ben and then the O-line got decimated again

Look at New England's stable - bunch of no names but they sure look productive behind that line

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
stiller39 (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,054 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

mendenhall is a better option than most rb's available in the draft. if we can keep him on the cheap then do it
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,769 Times in 2,249 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
mendenhall is a better option than most rb's available in the draft. if we can keep him on the cheap then do it
I wouldn't mind seeing Mendy go, but - I'm just hoping he can advance past the amateur act and commit to be not just a Steeler RB, but an all-around solid football player. There are worse things than tweeting something dumb such as not showing up to a game - but, even that can be overlooked if he can truly get a fresh start - maybe just too much water under the bridge though - who knows - we won't be worse off either way

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
kent
Bench Warmer

Speed Racer Champion! Big Truck Adventures 3 Champion! Bejeweled Champion! Helicopter2 Champion! Plupon Champion! Chain Reaction - Newgrounds Champion!
Member Number: 24510

I'm not willing to spend any money on Mendy. He hasn't produced enough and he has the kind of attitude we don't need on this team. If you can't show up at a game to support your team then that's just sad. I do believe Dwyer or Redman could be successful as long as the o line is healthy. That being said, I would only resign one of them due to how similar their running styles are. Batch is a special teams captain I believe so keep him for those purposes. I don't think he offers much as a back. I would look at free agency to try and pick up a 3rd down back that could also be worked into the passing game. In the draft I'd take someone in the 2ND or 3rd to be the future feature back.
kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I would definitely keep him for cheap. It dosnt matter what rb we have, they won't do well without a good offensive line. The reason green bay always passes is because there line sucks as well. If everyone stays healthy Ithink Mendy can have a 1500 yard season .
The line makes the back. Look how well Chris Johnson did when he had a good offensive line(2006 yards) then how bad he looked once they lost there key blockers