Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,470 Times in 2,749 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: The prospect of just keeping mendenhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I would definitely keep him for cheap. It dosnt matter what rb we have, they won't do well without a good offensive line. The reason green bay always passes is because there line sucks as well. If everyone stays healthy Ithink Mendy can have a 1500 yard season .
The line makes the back. Look how well Chris Johnson did when he had a good offensive line(2006 yards) then how bad he looked once they lost there key blockers
not to mention he can be a dangerous receiver out of the backfield. his knee should be fully healed by next year.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
not to mention he can be a dangerous receiver out of the backfield. his knee should be fully healed by next year.
Health is key - also up for discussion - new and dynamic ways our OC can utilize the run game - its a copy cat league and I like the idea of combining some Texans-style off balance and RB as WR - Patriots style into our repetoire

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,470 Times in 2,749 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Health is key - also up for discussion - new and dynamic ways our OC can utilize the run game - its a copy cat league and I like the idea of combining some Texans-style off balance and RB as WR - Patriots style into our repetoire
one thing that's always driven me mad about arians is him never using mendenhall in the passing game enough. in his 1st year as a starter, he had great success at it, then in the years after that, arians stops doing what was working. typical BA though.

with his skillset, he could be a bigger, faster version of brian westbrook (good receiving skills, good in the open field, excellent at blitz pickup, breakaway speed). he just needs an OC who will use him properly and he will be a star in this league
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Wonder if Beanie Wells could be brought in if hes not lookin for a huge payday.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Quote from Dejan Kovacevic on Twitter just now:

"Just met with #Steelers GM Kevin Colbert here on South Side. Most noteworthy, I thought: VERY dissatisfied with RBs. Expect change."

IDK, that sounds to me like RB is definitely a high priority in the draft, assuming we don't go FA. Definitely doesn't give me the vibe that Mendenhall is getting another shot.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,922 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
one thing that's always driven me mad about arians is him never using mendenhall in the passing game enough. in his 1st year as a starter, he had great success at it, then in the years after that, arians stops doing what was working. typical BA though.

with his skillset, he could be a bigger, faster version of brian westbrook (good receiving skills, good in the open field, excellent at blitz pickup, breakaway speed). he just needs an OC who will use him properly and he will be a star in this league
I couldn't agree more on his utilization - any OC that will severely limit his role to what it was limited to needs to be shown the door - you don't not use your Rd1 RB? - the jury could still be out - but, can you imagine if we saw this out of Mendenhall if given a fair shot at it? It would be like the Ravens not dumping it off to Ray Rice and asking him to come in on 3rd and shorts and run it up the middle to no success, without consistently practicing it, or giving him something more creative that fits his skill set

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Wonder if Beanie Wells could be brought in if hes not lookin for a huge payday.
I'd rather have Steven Jackson from the Rams for the right price. He is a FA.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelers>NFL For This Useful Post:
pittpete (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #18
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Mendenhall's gone. No question.Especially after hearing Colbert talk today. Not much more to say than that.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #19
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,012 Times in 4,669 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Settlement Reached in Lawsuit Filed by NFL Star Fired as Pitchman for 9/11 Conspiracy Tweets

1/15/2013 by Eriq Gardner

The agreement comes after Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall's attorneys invoke Charlie Sheen to show Champion sportswear had acted arbitrarily in terminating his endorsement contract.

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall's $1 million lawsuit against clothing retailer Hanesbrands Inc. for canceling his lucrative endorsement deal has been cut short. On Tuesday, the parties filed a notice of voluntary dismissal after coming to a settlement.

Mendenhall brought the lawsuit in July 2011, and the resulting case had it all: Osama bin Laden, Charlie Sheen, free speech, morals clauses of celebrity contracts and more.

The NFL star's contract to endorse Champion sporting gear was terminated after the outspoken player tweeted about the 9/1 terrorist attacks, "We'll never know what really happened" and tweeted after bin Laden's death: "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side."

Mendenhall presented his case as defending the First Amendment right for celebrities to say controversial things. Hanesbrands countered by saying the dispute was really about whether a trademark owner that had built a famous brand was required to continue to pay a celebrity endorser whose opinions threatened to bring the company into public disrepute.

In April, a federal judge in North Carolina was tasked with deciding whether the case should be dismissed or allowed to be heard by a jury.

Judge James Beaty said that it should survive, denying a motion to dismiss.

Morals clauses tend to get lots of ink because celebrities often do stupid things. But disputes over contractual legalese like morals clauses rarely make it into a public courtroom, even if these morals clauses are written so broadly as to make their enforceability a bit of mystery.

In this case, Beaty ruled that Hanesbrands had an implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing "not to act arbitrarily, irrationally or unreasonably in exercising [its] discretion" to execute its termination rights under the morals clause of the contract with Mendenhall.

Did Hanesbrands act arbitrarily?

As the case proceeded into the discovery stage on the path to trial, Mendenhall's attorneys began building what will henceforth be known here as the "Charlie Sheen defense": pointing to another celebrity who has said outrageous things and putting the onus on the other party to explain why one endorsement deal was terminated and another wasn't.

Mendenhall quoted Sheen saying in an old radio interview: "It seems to me like 19 amateurs with box cutters taking over four commercial airliners and hitting 75 percent of their targets feels like a conspiracy theory. It raises a lot of questions."

Mendenhall's lawyers argued that Hanesbrands "hired Mr. Sheen as an endorser after he had gone public to challenge the United States government's explanation for the attacks of Sept. 11" and questioned why their client who had tweeted his own 9/11 conspiracy thoughts had been treated differently.

Soon thereafter, the parties reached a settlement, precluding what surely would have been a tweet-friendly trial. Terms of the settlement have not been revealed.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...iled-by-412750
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
MeanGee2047
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24036

I would like to get an offensive lineman in the 1st to shore up the line, RB in 2nd....preferably Lacy....but I think he'll be gone...if that's the case....then an OLB....
MeanGee2047 is offline   Reply With Quote