Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,809 Times in 5,679 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Colbert, Steelers FO Allude to Changes on the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
There probably aren't any RBs worthy of anything higher than a 3rd round pick.
I would happily select Giovani Bernard from NC or Eddie Lacy from Alabama in Round 2 if they are still on the board when it's our turn to pick.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,510 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I would happily select Giovani Bernard from NC or Eddie Lacy from Alabama in Round 2 if they are still on the board when it's our turn to pick.
They are good, but are they that much betetr than (say) Mike Gillisee in R4?

Bang for one's buck.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I'm sure he's not happy with Woodley, Troy or Brown. Everyone keeps saying that Mendy andWallace and yes there both had disappointments but there also making less then the other guys. I'm sure Colbert can'tbe happy with Brown or WWoodley seeing there stats and how much there making

Last edited by pete74; 01-16-2013 at 03:54 PM.
pete74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #14
rpbncb
Water Boy

Member Number: 24679

no need to pick RB before round 4 or later. Mendy good as gone. GOOD!!! Too bad Woodley's not a FA cause he commited robery this past year.
rpbncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #15
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Here is what I deduced:

I could see Harriosn, Keisel, and even Troy needing to restructure.
I think we're done restructuring aging players with giant deals. That's how we got into cap hell, and it only digs us into a deeper hole. Troy and Harrison need to be cut, and signed for lesser amounts. No restructuring.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,925 Times in 779 Posts

Colbert is pissed. Good to see the Steelers coming to terms having the wiggle room to make the necessary adjustments on the roster to put together the right combinations to remain competitive. Roster shakeups to come. Can't wait to see this team get back to the basics and regain their edge.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

There was lots of interesting information in this thread. I was actually looking at the thread via my cell and felt compelled come on in and share my two cents.

Will Allen, Charlie Batch, Plaxico Burress, Larry Foote, Ramon Foster, Casey Hampton, Brandon Johnson, David Johnson, Byron Leftwich, Doug Legursky, Justin King, Keenan Lewis, Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Mundy, Leonard Pope, Max Starks, Mike Wallace, Greg Warren

RESTRICTED (6) – Jonathan Dwyer, Jeremy Kapinos, Steve McLendon, Isaac Redman, Stevenson Sylvester, Emmanuel Sanders

That's our FA list as listed ont he website. Of that list I expect us to resign:

Mike Wallace, Steve McClendon, & possibly Kellen Lewis(but I'm 75% sure he'll sign elsewhere).

I understand the opinions that suggest we should let Wallace go and I'm not sure I'd be upset if that happened, but I also believe that there is a good chance he stays here and I think that would ultimately be good for our receiver corps. I think Sanders really lost some luster with the coaching staff with the big errors he had this season with fumbling.

I think Harrison is gone. They'll save quite a bit of money by cutting him. I also think they'll ask Keisel and Troy to take pay cuts. I'd really be surprised if they just release Troy. I wish I was confident in that however.

A RB is definitely coming in this draft but I agree that we shouldn't take one prior to round 4. Mendenhall, who is DEFINITELY gone, was a R1 guy and look how that turned out.

I hope they cut Colon as well honestly, sure Ben likes Starks but aside from skill, age is the one thing he has a lot of. Woodley has to get into shape period or he won't be here much longer either. I also really believe the time of Ryan Clark is rapidly approaching its conclusion. I honestly expect Troy and Ryan to be here for one more season, but because of that, I expect SS and FS to be on the draft list. I think both will retire after the 2013 season.
teegre (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #18
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
I'm happy someone in the organization speaks this way. It's about time the players understand that it is not a given that they are wanted regardless of performance. That no one is untouchable or above criticism. They need a swift kick in the ass.
I agree completely! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Colbert is pissed. Good to see the Steelers coming to terms having the wiggle room to make the necessary adjustments on the roster to put together the right combinations to remain competitive. Roster shakeups to come. Can't wait to see this team get back to the basics and regain their edge.
And our Edge is something we have definitely lost. I mean really, if you think about it, if we look at the roster right now..what are the positions you'd say we really need?

If it were me..I'd say the following:

QB(legit backup)
RB(legit starter)
WR
OL(depth)
DT(if Hampton retires and Ta'amu goes to jail this is a major need)
ILB
OLB
CB
FS
SS

PUNTER
Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts

Those are grown man answers made my a grown ass man. Good for him. That was one of the best answers to questions I have heard in YEARS. Priority number 1 is Keenan Lewis on that list. Ike has one more year in him. Steelers are gonna need to get a CB in the first or second round this year. OR, take a flyer on the Honey Badger. If he can avoid the hippie lettuce, man, he would be a steal like Burfict was for Cincy this year.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,510 Times in 9,933 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
I think we're done restructuring aging players with giant deals. That's how we got into cap hell, and it only digs us into a deeper hole. Troy and Harrison need to be cut, and signed for lesser amounts. No restructuring.
Yes & no.

Omar Khan is a genius at pushing money around.

Furthermore, they take the player's huge contract, and push the larger paycheck to the end of the contract... and then, they cut that player (eg Hines Ward & James Farrior), or, at other times, the player sees the writing on the wall & takes a pay cut (Bettis).

I think that Troy restructures his deal to take less this year, and then he retires. I see Keisel simply taking a pay cut (he saw what happened with Aaron Smith AND Cameron Heyward is waiting behind him, for 1/16 the cost). James Harrison is interesting because:

a) he is still dominant (when healhty), because he did not start until he was 26; fresh legs.

b) there are conflicting reports about his cap hit. Some say that cutting him would reduce his cap number from $6.5 million to jut $1.5 million (a savings of $5 million). BUT, I have also heard the opposite: cutting him would only save $1.5 million, because he would still cost $5 million against the cap. If it's the prior, then he mihgt indeed be cut (although I don't like it); if it is the latter, then why not just keep him around (it would not save the Steelers that much to cut him).
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote