Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #31
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Woodley is going to get back into shape and back to football form and we're going to forget about his lucrative contract. We got into this situation because we have elite defensive players on our team and they deserve to be paid as such. That being said, I wouldn't blink twice about getting rid of Harrison, Troy, Keisel and Hampton and clearing cap space that way.

We were very good for a long time and have two DPOY players on our roster. That being said, they also got old very quickly and now their play and contributions aren't adding up with how much they're making.

As soon as these older guys are gone, we're going to be swimming in cap room. Harrison, Keisel, Troy, Hampton, Colon, Foster, Wallace and Mendenhall all gone will ultimately equate to 10's of millions in cap room. We just need Timmons, Woodley and Ben to restructure and we're fine for this year.
wow, who is your source? this sounds like wishful thinking

elite defensive players? uh what? you mean players able to play in lebeau's system. only elite were troy and harrison. the rest are good not great.
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #32
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,135
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,129
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
wow, who is your source? this sounds like wishful thinking

elite defensive players? uh what? you mean players able to play in lebeau's system. only elite were troy and harrison. the rest are good not great.
I don't need a source to be thinking realistically. Art Rooney already discussed they're looking into the fact that their players are getting injured more and more and perhaps better conditioning would fix it. So, I'm using what the owner of the team said as my fallback option. Ya know, again, quotes from the people that actually matter and not made up conversations that people think happened.

Ike, Timmons, Woodley and Clark are great players when they're healthy. Lewis and McLendon are knocking on the door of great. They both had solid seasons and are looking better every snap they're getting.

Heyward is a younger guy that applies consistent pressure when he's on the field. The rest of the guys are older and they're not playing the way they once were. This is where the draft plays a part for this team and helps us keep the mantra of 'reload not rebuild'.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #33
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 392
Member Number: 24256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I don't need a source to be thinking realistically. Art Rooney already discussed they're looking into the fact that their players are getting injured more and more and perhaps better conditioning would fix it. So, I'm using what the owner of the team said as my fallback option. Ya know, again, quotes from the people that actually matter and not made up conversations that people think happened.

Ike, Timmons, Woodley and Clark are great players when they're healthy. Lewis and McLendon are knocking on the door of great. They both had solid seasons and are looking better every snap they're getting.

Heyward is a younger guy that applies consistent pressure when he's on the field. The rest of the guys are older and they're not playing the way they once were. This is where the draft plays a part for this team and helps us keep the mantra of 'reload not rebuild'.
how much weight did woodley put on?
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #34
Darkstorm05
Team Captain
 
Darkstorm05's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 19897
Thanks: 7
Thanked 69 Times in 46 Posts
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
yet....it amazes me how much i'm STILL seeing "restructure" being thrown about on this board.

As for the big contracts - look at all that elite Brinks money we threw around - much of it coming at nearly the same time.
Ben - Troy - Harrison - Woodley - Timmons - Just those contracts alone are cringe-inducing when you think about it.
I still don't know how teams like the Patriots keep coming in way under the cap and have all this wiggle room to do anything they damn well feel like doing. We're not even in the same league as putting teams/players/money together like they do.
Some people just can't be shown the light. The people wanting to restructure Ben make me laugh the most. Say we push millions onto the tail of his contract in dead money, then he gets the concussion that washes him up?

The only way to get out of cap hell is to cut guys who have huge contracts, and get past the dead money we left out there with this restructuring shit. All this "Khan is a cap genius" stuff is a fancy way of saying the team knows how to burn up a credit card. Ben should be the only guy in the 10 million dollar club immune to being outright cut on this team.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #35
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,135
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,129
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
how much weight did woodley put on?
You're the one that is seemingly inside Woodley's thoughts and/or conversations, why don't you tell me?

He did put weight on and this comes as a surprise to you? He was injured and didn't handle his injury well and is hearing it from the fans which was, and still is, completely warranted. No one is saying you can't be critical of the players, but to make blanket statements in which the numbers and common sense both refute, makes it seem like you're saying these things for shock value instead of contributing to the conversation.

Look, be critical of Woodley - god knows I am. I can also recognize that when he was healthy, he was an absolute stud and when he returns to form, he'll be a stud again. It's just a matter of time and a matter of better conditioning.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #36
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 392
Member Number: 24256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
You're the one that is seemingly inside Woodley's thoughts and/or conversations, why don't you tell me?

He did put weight on and this comes as a surprise to you? He was injured and didn't handle his injury well and is hearing it from the fans which was, and still is, completely warranted. No one is saying you can't be critical of the players, but to make blanket statements in which the numbers and common sense both refute, makes it seem like you're saying these things for shock value instead of contributing to the conversation.

Look, be critical of Woodley - god knows I am. I can also recognize that when he was healthy, he was an absolute stud and when he returns to form, he'll be a stud again. It's just a matter of time and a matter of better conditioning.
where are your FACTS and STATISTICS that you claim to use when supporting your BS?
Show me the fact that you know woodley put on weight.
show me how just because you think woodley will get back into shape and produce this year is a fact but you know that harrision, keisel and hampton wont so they should be cut is a fact
you dont know shit, just like i dont know shit. i can make up scenarios that i believe could have happened just as easy as you can to take the opposite side.
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #37
FrancoLambert
Head Coach
 
FrancoLambert's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: tony soprano's neighborhood
Posts: 1,896
Gender: Male
Member Number: 20827
Thanks: 1,662
Thanked 1,496 Times in 781 Posts
My Mood: Breezy
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

You don't have to personally weigh Woodley to be convinced of his weight gain.
Just watch film from the 20008 season and compare it to this past season.
Seeing is believing in this case.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #38
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,135
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,129
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
where are your FACTS and STATISTICS that you claim to use when supporting your BS?
Show me the fact that you know woodley put on weight.
show me how just because you think woodley will get back into shape and produce this year is a fact but you know that harrision, keisel and hampton wont so they should be cut is a fact
you dont know shit, just like i dont know shit. i can make up scenarios that i believe could have happened just as easy as you can to take the opposite side.
My bullshit? So, because I can see someone got bigger than what they once were without having Woodley step onto a scale, I'm bullshitting?

I can tell you that Harrison, Keisel and Hampton won't be able to produce like they once were because they're older, slower and not able to contribute like they were back in their twenties.

Since you're trying to call out my 'bullshit' by not producing numbers, let's go look at some, ya?

Harrison is 35 years old and his cap hit will be over 10 million dollars next season. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell you with big charts and statistical breakdowns that a 35 year old ROLB that has severe back and knee problems won't be able to return to form and contribute like he once did.

Keisel and Hampton are both older, 34 and 35 respectively, and their hit next year would be a combined 5+ million. Once again, they won't be able to produce the kind of play we're expecting when we could draft younger, faster and more explosive guys at these positions for cheaper.

Are those enough numbers for you? I don't understand why it's so hard to understand this. They're old and aren't contributing, but for me to say I don't expect them to in the future and because their collective cap hit is over 15 million dollars, I don't know shit? Makes sense.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:04 PM   #39
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 392
Member Number: 24256
Thanks: 3
Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
My bullshit? So, because I can see someone got bigger than what they once were without having Woodley step onto a scale, I'm bullshitting?

I can tell you that Harrison, Keisel and Hampton won't be able to produce like they once were because they're older, slower and not able to contribute like they were back in their twenties.

Since you're trying to call out my 'bullshit' by not producing numbers, let's go look at some, ya?

Harrison is 35 years old and his cap hit will be over 10 million dollars next season. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell you with big charts and statistical breakdowns that a 35 year old ROLB that has severe back and knee problems won't be able to return to form and contribute like he once did.

Keisel and Hampton are both older, 34 and 35 respectively, and their hit next year would be a combined 5+ million. Once again, they won't be able to produce the kind of play we're expecting when we could draft younger, faster and more explosive guys at these positions for cheaper.

Are those enough numbers for you? I don't understand why it's so hard to understand this. They're old and aren't contributing, but for me to say I don't expect them to in the future and because their collective cap hit is over 15 million dollars, I don't know shit? Makes sense.
thought so, no fact on woodleys weight.
you saying woodley has put on weight and that accounted for his injuries has as much credibility as me saying woodely has tanked it because he got the big contract.
that is a fact!
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #40
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 7,135
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 5,129
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts
Default Re: Can someone tell me how we ended up in this cap hell situation?

I hope you realize how ridiculous you seem with what you're posting. I hope I'm being trolled for your sake.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts