Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #41
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Did Steelers make a rash decision to sign Antonio Brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
In no way is Brown making anywhere near Brandon Marshall money. His contract since it was an extension that included his last year is actually a reasonable amount of money to pay a 1,000 yard+ receiver who would have had those numbers again if not for injury. He is an incredible hard worker and will only get even better. His hands to make the catch are phenomenal . Besides where would they be now without his signing. Wallace gone, and Brown restricted and possibley leaving after the year? Brown's money would have only been even higher had they waited.
You better check your facts before you disagree with one of my posts because I always check the facts.

"After reviewing Marshall’s contract, which originally was a 5-year, $47.3 million deal struck with the Dolphins in April 2010, the Bears will owe him a little more than half of that for three seasons." --- Chicago Tribune.

"Wide receiver Antonio Brown signed a five-year contract extension Friday with the Pittsburgh Steelers. The deal is worth $42.5 million." --- ESPN.

I would say those are similar contracts.

Brandon Marshall 118 REC 1508 YDS 11 TDS
Antonio Brown 66 REC 787 YDS 5 TDS

Brown made the Probowl as a kick returner... he no longer returns kicks. All I said was that he is overpaid versus the performance he had shown (he had 2 career receiving TDs when the deal was signed). I know, I know... stats don't matter... Brown is amazing and Wallace sucks and it has nothing to do with Wallace holding out.

Brown is making more than AJ Green, Julio Jones or Dez Bryant because those guys are on their rookie contracts still. Which is a point I made in the "Defense has twice the salary the offense has" post- that young players make less than old players regardless of ability.

So I don't think you can accurately say Brown is making #2 WR money because if someone looked into it I bet there are a lot of teams that don't pay their top WR 8 M/Yr.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #42
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

I don't think the Steelers overpaid AB, he got what the market called for. However, contrary to some on this board, they got a real bargain for Wallace thus far. HIs rookie contract was worth 1.74m and last years tender of 2.74m totals less than 4.5m. Given the stats that he's put up over the last 4 years, there is no doubt in logical minds that the Steelers got the most out of the relationship. Wallace earned every penny he got and more.
zcoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #43
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
I don't think the Steelers overpaid AB, he got what the market called for. However, contrary to some on this board, they got a real bargain for Wallace thus far. HIs rookie contract was worth 1.74m and last years tender of 2.74m totals less than 4.5m. Given the stats that he's put up over the last 4 years, there is no doubt in logical minds that the Steelers got the most out of the relationship. Wallace earned every penny he got and more.
Very good point.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #44
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Besides a few dropped passes here and there, Brown is the man. The front office knows it. He is one of the more dedicated players Tomlin has drafted. Steelers wanted to lock him up before his contract expired and before the potential Wallace deal could pollute Browns mind and fuck up negotiations later down stream. I like Brown he is a hard worker, team player and is good for the teams image and the city.

Anyone who has a problem with Brown walking into the endzone backwards on that negated TD can go drink some gasoline. It ain't no different than high stepping, dancing, or waiving at an opposing player as you are going into the endzone. All of which never drew flags. Browns a great player. Besides Heath, Brown is one of the most dedicated, hardworking and consistent players on offense. I will be owning his jersey soon.

Cheers to Antonio Brown. To staying true to yourself and not letting money or fame poison your commitment.
BlaZeQuietly (01-18-2013), SteelCity4Life (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #45
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Besides a few dropped passes here and there, Brown is the man. The front office knows it. He is one of the more dedicated players Tomlin has drafted. Steelers wanted to lock him up before his contract expired and before the potential Wallace deal could pollute Browns mind and fuck up negotiations later down stream. I like Brown he is a hard worker, team player and is good for the teams image and the city.

Anyone who has a problem with Brown walking into the endzone backwards on that negated TD can go drink some gasoline. It ain't no different than high stepping, dancing, or waiving at an opposing player as you are going into the endzone. All of which never drew flags. Browns a great player. Besides Heath, Brown is one of the most dedicated, hardworking and consistent players on offense. I will be owning his jersey soon.

Cheers to Antonio Brown. To staying true to yourself and not letting money or fame poison your commitment.
Some of you must think this is the fucking plantation. Pollute Brown's mind? We're talking about grown azz men. Miss me with that bullshit.
zcoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #46
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
No, that was per the team's website, Wallace himself in interviews, and Wallace's agent.

Look how many times Wallace was targetted this season as opposed to Antonio....Brown isn't going to get yards if we are always trying to force the ball to our trojan horse #17.

Brown works hard and was expected to be a nobody (6th rounder). He earned his contract and had a down year. He did not hold out for a paychedck he did not earn.

One guy overachieved (Brown), while one guy underachieved (Wallace). Not coincidentally, the guy who underachieved, is the same one that was screaming for a bigger paycheck
Ok then post were wallace or his agent said he wanted Fitz money? As for Browns targets, if your open and the QB has faith in you then you get targets. Maybe he needs to run better routs, I don'tknow but if you think Brown had a good year then iIwould hate to see a bbad year. I'mnot saying wallace is great or anything , I think they both had a bad year but wallace definatly outperformed Brown
Old 01-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #47
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
he didn't deny the rumors, and he turned down an offer bigger than what they offered brown (99% likely), so it must be true.
He didn't deny them, he kept his mouth shut like he was supposed to so he didn'tfeed the media .
Personally I would rather keep Wallace then Brown if we could give him Browns contract but that dosnt matter becauseI Brown is here and Wallace will be gone . I just like Brown better as a #2 wr then a #1. Maybe we will take a WR round 1 and it will work out that way. Who knows. I'm just giving my opinion
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #48
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,663 Times in 768 Posts

Every single receiver (except Miller, in my opinion) on this team has an issue. Brown got paid, then dropped off in performance. Wallace didn't get paid, then dropped off in performance. Seems like money is the jinx. I've "never" been to big on Sanders. Plexico and Jerricho still have to be given enough chances to prove themselves on "this" team.
But will the Steelers lose an advantage if Wallace leaves ? Yes.
Is there an issue with motivation with Wallace ? Yes... but that's also true with the majority of players on this team !

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #49
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Brown is a playmaker for sure. I am not sure he can be a #1 when Wallace leaves. If he is a #1 he is no longer going to return punts or will be limited in that role.

He makes big catches, can do with all the attention he tries to get himself everytime he catches the ball (which is his job).

Brown will be a 1000 yard 8 TD wr for the length of his contract.

Who plays opposite him is anyones guess
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #50
SteelerEmpire
Team President

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,663 Times in 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
Spot on and very logical conclusion. But you can't tell some fans that. Just mention the name "Wallace" and they come back with an automatic, negative response.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote