Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #31
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: 3-4 to a 4-3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
We dont have the personell for anything other than a 3-4 right now. Nobody on the squad is a pass rushing DE...not Keisel, not Woodley. Both Timmons and Spence are better WILL LB's.

Kiesel won't be back next season. Woodley would be a good de he's at 270 already. He can rush every down and not worry about coverage. When he rushes now in the 3-4 he goes against the tackle which would be the same with him at de. McClendon and hood would be dominate in the middle making the oline decided between those two who to double block. So you would have Woodley alone against the tackle most of time and ill take that any day. You don't need a giants style 4-3 your basing your argument of how the giants run and use the 4-3 with wide 9 technique edge rushers.

Not sure what you mean by better will linebackers if your making a arguement for a 3-4 because those are positions in 4-3. You have mack and buck in 3-4 so learn your positions in each defense

Timmons was a outside linebacker in 4-3 in college and would be better suited for that in the nfl. He's come around as a 3-4 middle linebacker but his skill set is better suited for a 4-3. That has been the knock on him by this board for so long now. Spence would be a very good middle linebacker in the 4-3 he's very fast and covers a lot of ground, and he would not be best suited in the 3-4 very undersized. So your assessment of our players not being suited for a 4-3 is very wrong. So keep going its very assuming and entertaining
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #32
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
Kiesel won't be back next season. Woodley would be a good de he's at 270 already. He can rush every down and not worry about coverage. When he rushes now in the 3-4 he goes against the tackle which would be the same with him at de. McClendon and hood would be dominate in the middle making the oline decided between those two who to double block. So you would have Woodley alone against the tackle most of time and ill take that any day. You don't need a giants style 4-3 your basing your argument of how the giants run and use the 4-3 with wide 9 technique edge rushers.

Not sure what you mean by better will linebackers if your making a arguement for a 3-4 because those are positions in 4-3. You have mack and buck in 3-4 so learn your positions in each defense

Timmons was a outside linebacker in 4-3 in college and would be better suited for that in the nfl. He's come around as a 3-4 middle linebacker but his skill set is better suited for a 4-3. That has been the knock on him by this board for so long now. Spence would be a very good middle linebacker in the 4-3 he's very fast and covers a lot of ground, and he would not be best suited in the 3-4 very undersized. So your assessment of our players not being suited for a 4-3 is very wrong. So keep going its very assuming and entertaining
Thanks, but I coach football and have for several years, so I know the schemes. I also know that Timmons was ideally suited as a WILL LB in a 4-3 coming out of college, as is Spence. Woodley does not have the quickness or first step of a decent DE and would not be a great DE in a 4-3.

So basically, we would need to put Timmons and Spence at the Mike and Will. Find a Sam LB, use Hood and Heyward at DT and need to find 2 DE's that can play in a 4-3. Then coach up the entire defense on the new schemes and coverages.

You want to overhaul a top 5 defense so that it can get a few pick 6es? Kind of like a guy that wanted to dump Cindy Crawford so he could find a girl without that mole on her lip.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #33
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Thanks, but I coach football and have for several years, so I know the schemes. I also know that Timmons was ideally suited as a WILL LB in a 4-3 coming out of college, as is Spence. Woodley does not have the quickness or first step of a decent DE and would not be a great DE in a 4-3.

So basically, we would need to put Timmons and Spence at the Mike and Will. Find a Sam LB, use Hood and Heyward at DT and need to find 2 DE's that can play in a 4-3. Then coach up the entire defense on the new schemes and coverages.

You want to overhaul a top 5 defense so that it can get a few pick 6es? Kind of like a guy that wanted to dump Cindy Crawford so he could find a girl without that mole on her lip.
Sorry coach

You would have heyward ( and i know most of you think he wouldnt be good as a 4-3 de but the man has pass rushing ablilty but the 3-4 dosnt allow him to show case it) hood McClendon Woodley you would only need a Sam linebacker.

And I have never said I want and we need to switch all I did was present a article and make the point that a maybe we should of shouldn't switch with dick leaves. Or at the very least have packages for both and use them.

You do realize that top 5 d got lit up by the titans raiders and chargers.

Again I've said I love the 3-4 and thinks its great but you have to play to what you have on your team. And most of the great 3-4 guys we had left or are there way out like smith kiesel hampton foote Harrison farrior. In recent drafts we have drafted 4-3 guys you can't argue that it's a fact.

And if you remember we used a big nickel defense a little this year with four down lineman in kiesel Hampton heyward and hood not a ideal line but they got pressure and stopped the run effectively when used.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #34
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,069 Posts

Switch to a 4-3!! Its the greatest defense and will put the Steelers back in the super bowl!!

We can all await the same thread being started 1.just before training camp and 2. the same time next season.