Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,971 Posts
Default Re: Painful Cuts Ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
If all those guys were to be cut we'd be looking at a 1-15 season next year
I don't think we'll ever be that bad as long as we have ben under center, but the team is going through a transition.

as much this opinion may be unpopular, it may be 2-3 years before we are in contention for the title, we have some adjustments to make that will take more than 1 year to fix. and the AFC is getting increasingly difficult to win with more contenders popping up. andrew luck is eventually going to give team fits a la another tom brady in the AFC
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #22
blackandgoldsc
Water Boy

Member Number: 17548

This really parallels the government don't you think? Always trying to find ways to extend or manipulate the debt ceiling yet never really SOLVING the problem of too much debt...
Really this isn't a political post at all, don't care about politics but I thought it was eerily similar. I think that the Steelers groomed so many stars that we will be in cap hell every year for a long time. Sure we hope the cap limit raises to give us relief (similar to govt) but it is only temporary. I just see this same thread happening every year for the next 5 years +
blackandgoldsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #23
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,179 Times in 3,102 Posts

We're going to be 1-15 because we're shedding the dead weight on this team and replacing them with younger and more explosive guys? Getting rid of Harrison, Keisel, Hampton and Troy might make our defensive more explosive. Harrison is struggling with severe knee and back problems while Keisel and Hampton have clearly lost a couple steps to their game. Great, they're vocal leaders in the locker room but at this point, we're worse off on defense when they're on the field than when they're not.

Enter Polamalu. He's easily going to be the most controversial and hardest cut this team is going to have to make, but I think it's a necessary one. Do you guys think he's worth the 10 million dollar cap hit we're going to take for him to stay on this team? For me, it's an easy no. He's lost a step, too, but because of his play style and not necessarily his age, but I'm sure that factors in as well. He's no longer the explosive, playmaking Safety we've all come to expect on Sundays and this defense was actually better against the pass when we had two Safeties deep, playing a more conventional 3-4 defense rather than relying on Troy as our only playmaker on the field. Either talk him into retirement or cut him loose because we've dug ourselves into a hole with all these older players and their ridiculously high cap hits.

They're just not worth it anymore. They're not contributing and, as hard as it is to say good-bye for some of you, it's a no-brainer for me. Harrison isn't worth a 10 million dollar cap hit, neither is Polamalu. Keisel isn't worth his 4.5 million dollar cap hit, either and these guys have to be shown the door so new blood can come in. Sorry guys, it's time to let the younger guys take over the reigns.

Draft OLB, S/WR, ILB in that order and let them fucking play. I'm getting tired of LeBeau's 'rookies aren't ready!' bullshit and letting these aging guys play over their faster and more explosive counter-parts. If we need a change in defensive ideology (not scheme, chill) then so be it. Why didn't Heyward play over Keisel? Why wasn't McLendon playing over Hampton despite obviously outplaying him every single snap he was on the field? Why are younger guys punished for making a play in the backfield when our OLBs are struggling to make plays?
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We're going to be 1-15 because we're shedding the dead weight on this team and replacing them with younger and more explosive guys? Getting rid of Harrison, Keisel, Hampton and Troy might make our defensive more explosive. Harrison is struggling with severe knee and back problems while Keisel and Hampton have clearly lost a couple steps to their game. Great, they're vocal leaders in the locker room but at this point, we're worse off on defense when they're on the field than when they're not.

Enter Polamalu. He's easily going to be the most controversial and hardest cut this team is going to have to make, but I think it's a necessary one. Do you guys think he's worth the 10 million dollar cap hit we're going to take for him to stay on this team? For me, it's an easy no. He's lost a step, too, but because of his play style and not necessarily his age, but I'm sure that factors in as well. He's no longer the explosive, playmaking Safety we've all come to expect on Sundays and this defense was actually better against the pass when we had two Safeties deep, playing a more conventional 3-4 defense rather than relying on Troy as our only playmaker on the field. Either talk him into retirement or cut him loose because we've dug ourselves into a hole with all these older players and their ridiculously high cap hits.

They're just not worth it anymore. They're not contributing and, as hard as it is to say good-bye for some of you, it's a no-brainer for me. Harrison isn't worth a 10 million dollar cap hit, neither is Polamalu. Keisel isn't worth his 4.5 million dollar cap hit, either and these guys have to be shown the door so new blood can come in. Sorry guys, it's time to let the younger guys take over the reigns.

Draft OLB, S/WR, ILB in that order and let them fucking play. I'm getting tired of LeBeau's 'rookies aren't ready!' bullshit and letting these aging guys play over their faster and more explosive counter-parts. If we need a change in defensive ideology (not scheme, chill) then so be it. Why didn't Heyward play over Keisel? Why wasn't McLendon playing over Hampton despite obviously outplaying him every single snap he was on the field? Why are younger guys punished for making a play in the backfield when our OLBs are struggling to make plays?

I agree with you in a couple of your points.

1 - replacements for those guys you listed may actually make our defense better
2 - Troy. Steeler fans are going to have to get over the "nostalgia" highlight reels and the emotional connection - and let him go.. You are absolutely right - while he's worth something - he sure as HELL isn't worth the $10 million figures that he's being paid - not even close.
People have made comments about offenses "having to take account for him". Not $10 million dollars worth.

I love those guys, but i wont' be sad if Troy, Harrison, Kiesel and Hampton are all cut. I'm really looking forward to moving on to the next thing.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #25
sloppyjoe
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24256

just think of the extra guys we would have to cut if the walllass lovers had their way and gave him 10+ for the next 5
sloppyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sloppyjoe For This Useful Post:
OX1947 (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppyjoe View Post
just think of the extra guys we would have to cut if the walllass lovers had their way and gave him 10+ for the next 5
haahahahahaha Wallass. I cant believe i didnt think of that first. Props!
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #27
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Aaaaaaaaaaand someone mentioned Wallace. How long did it take? 25 responses? I guess that's not bad, usually it's within the first 15 or so.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #28
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Aaaaaaaaaaand someone mentioned Wallace. How long did it take? 25 responses? I guess that's not bad, usually it's within the first 15 or so.
i don't think there's a thread on this board in existence that doesn't evolve into blame, bash, and throw stones at either Wallace or Ben - no matter what the subject. Sad.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRH For This Useful Post:
SteelersCanada (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #29
Blacksburg Zach
Head Coach
Supporter

Super Mario Flash Champion! Ragnarok Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Member Number: 24584
Thanked 1,973 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
i don't think there's a thread on this board in existence that doesn't evolve into blame, bash, and throw stones at either Wallace or Ben - no matter what the subject. Sad.
Don't forget about Tomlin and Haley. Plenty of people on the board bash them as well.
Blacksburg Zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #30
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Very, very true.