Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #31
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 8,357 Times in 3,324 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Young Money Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
I agree what you have said about Wallace and not be a great receiver when compared to others. But don't hate on him cause he wants money and here's why. Wallace knows this is his time and only time to get paid and paid big. He's in his 4 or 5 season and his time is running out that mean seem to early for him but the man is a burner and that's it, he takes the top of defenses and makes team gameplay for him. The thing is his speed won't last and won't be the same in year 8 and 9. So nows the time for him to make his money cause he won't be able to later on so I don't blame him for that.
I don't hate the guy, and I understand that he wants to get paid. We all understand that. It's how much money you want that matters. What we are talking about here is how much he is worth to the Steelers...period. If he wants $12 mil a year, let him get it somewhere else. He's not worth what he's asking, and he's a one trick pony. I'm not saying the guy sucks. I'm saying he's not in the class of the top receivers that he wants to get paid as much as. That's all.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #32
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
The whole point is that he wouldn't start on the Falcons. The amazing thing is that I don't hate the guy. I just think he has some deficiencies. If you want to blame the offense he's in, that's your opinion.
The Falcons don't need him or any other wrs in the league because they drafted their current squad to fit what they do. We have changed our system and are going in a new direction. I don't know what kind of game you're playing here but if the Falcons didn't have one of their big two, they'd love to have Wallace's talent. You keep changing your points as well, hmmmmmmm.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #33
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by pczach View Post
I'm comparing Wallace to other top receivers in the league. What are you guys talking about.? He's asking for money on par with some of the best receivers in the game. What does it matter where you are drafted? After your rookie contract, you are compared to those you want to get paid like. That's not an opinion, it's fact.

As far as Antonio Brown. I like Brown. I agree he had an off year, but he was awesome when he was the featured receiver. Wallace was that guy this year. The other thing is that many of you who think Haley's system is great are defending these receivers as being talented, while they performed vastly better last year in a different offense. It's hard to make sense of all of it.

I hope some of you also notice that since Boldin went to the Ravens, they have been winning more, while their defense has been getting weaker. Since their D is worse, they have gotten better for a reason.
It is fair to compare receivers who are making the same money you are right. However, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald are making 18 and 17 million a year respectively. Supposedly Wallace is asking for 10-12 which is closer to AB's 8.05.

After their first 4 seasons: Wallace 235 Recs 4042 Yds 32 Tds
Johnson 270 Recs 4191 Yds 33 Tds
Fitz 330 Recs 4544 Yds 34 Tds

Keep in mind when Wallace joined the Steelers he was behind Ward and Holmes on the depth chart. Yeah, Wallace is a 1 trick pony... all he does is score 60 yard Tds. Better look somewhere else for a receiver.

On a note unrelated to this topic but adressing Boldin- Flacco is the reason the Ravens are better. Flacco was bad his first two seasons and has been very solid since. Flacco has 3 back to back 100+ RTG games in these playoffs which is why the Ravens are going to the superbowl. 8 Tds 0 Ints is fairly impressive on the road vs Houston, Denver and New England.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #34
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Wallace has been under performing for a season and a half. His hands hurt us this year more then they helped. us. We do need a REAL #1 WR.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 AM   #35
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

[YOUTUBE]Q6nMMrlfDPg[/YOUTUBE]

This guy sucks! He can't catch! He is terrible in the red zone! We need a #1 receiver!

[YOUTUBE]t_RFniPfxiA[/YOUTUBE]

Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #36
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,681 Times in 950 Posts

I like the first Highlight film. Especially the the clip of Holi Ngta running him down from behind........

Wallace is good receiver for what we need him for, and that is to take the top off of the defense. IMO, that alone is not worth $10mil a year.

Somebody had a good point about how in the redzone all that speed doesn't mean as much as getting off the line and out on the route. A more consistent rushing attack might help in the redzone too.

In truth, we will miss him when he's gone as other than Brown, we have no home run options.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #37
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Touchdowns scored by wide receivers over the last 4 years:

Mike Wallace 32
Calvin Johnson 33
Andre Johnson 23
Reggie Wayne 25
Roddy White 36
Wes Welker 26
Brandon Marshall 30
Vincent Jackson 29
Larry Fitzgerald 31

Who the hell cares where Wallace scores from? The point is he scores. It is better that he scores on long plays from outside the redzone. 2 receivers in the NFL have scored more touchdowns than Wallace in the last 4 seasons and most people don't want him resigned.

Amazing.

The ironic part is the same people who think Ben needs to throw the ball down the field more also want Wallace off the team. Wallace is the only viable deep threat on the team. No one in the league can get seperation like he can.

What does Wallace do after he scores a touchdown? Throws the ball to the ref and hops in the stands or celebrates with a teammate... seems like Steelers material to me. There were 30 players who dropped more passes than Wallace in 2012 did but only 2 who have caught more touchdowns over the last four years. You people need to get a grip.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (01-23-2013), pete74 (01-23-2013), Steeler7BR (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #38
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219

It's not Wallace's numbers that concern me per say, it's his attitude, and some of the things that don't show up on the stat sheet. Things such as not attempting to catch a pass. Wallace is a great deep threat but he sure has trouble with short passes, which does not fit the current Haley offense. Wallace will probably have a good career, but I will be surprised if it's in pittsburgh. I'd like to keep him around but not if its going to cost 10- 12 million dollars a year, Id give him 8 though, if that's even possible for us.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #39
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

We're not keeping Wallace.
We need to be cutting anyways - not spending.

There are a few teams very likely to make a run for him and offer him big money. He needn't worry - someone out there WILL offer him a big contract.

Some teams -such as the Packers - who will need receiving help as they will likely be losing Jennings and more - have expressed no interest - because like us - they have serious "cap" issues right now and likely wouldn't have the money for him.
One such team that is being mentioned is the Minnesota Vikings. One of their focuses is to find another threat & deep thread for Christian Ponder - its a priority of theirs.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #40
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
[YOUTUBE]Q6nMMrlfDPg[/YOUTUBE]

This guy sucks! He can't catch! He is terrible in the red zone! We need a #1 receiver!

[YOUTUBE]t_RFniPfxiA[/YOUTUBE]
I am sure if we dig hard enough-- we can find some great highlights of Trent Dilfer out there on the web too. The fact remains, Wallace's hands directly costed us at least one or two games this year.

He left at least 2 uncontested TDs out on the grass in the first Bengals game. He alligator armed catchable passes in other games, watching stupidly as the opposing defender swooped in for the interception.

If it were just this year, we could probably overlook it as him just having an off year. But his drops and short-armed attempts at catching the ball have costed us for several years now. Heck, his running the wrong route in SBXLV costed us that title too.