Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #51
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 735
Member Number: 24000
Thanks: 147
Thanked 410 Times in 225 Posts
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Guys we were 8-8. Things need to change. Just like colbett said things have to and will change. Both offense and defense. Stop be oblvious to that.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #52
lloydwoodson
Head Coach
 
lloydwoodson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23495
Thanks: 708
Thanked 403 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
and that is why ben is considered a championship quarterback. when he needed to be great he was. I cant say that for the defense.

the rare accorances? those are all playoff games. the non rare occurances were regualr season blown leads.

I dont get our offense a pass. When you dont get sacks and turnovers you give the offense long fields. How many times did we pin an offense inside the 10 and let them turn around field positon. that happens a ton and has as far back as I can remember.
Like I said I knew you were a Ben homer and just wanted you to say it. Thank you that is a big relief off my mind. Now I know you see Roethlisberger as "heroic" and nothing he ever does is wrong.

You pointed out the Jacksonville game- Ben threw a pick 6 and 2 other interceptions in that game. The Steelers lost by 2. Would the Steelers have had a better chance to win if Roethlisberger had not thrown 3 ints or a pick 6?

You pointed out the 2004 NWE game. Again... Roethlisberger threw 3 picks and a pick 6. It was his rookie season but don't put the game all on the defense when NWE scored 17 points off turnovers. Defense had a bad game but the offense sure didn't help.

Your "championship quarterback" had a playoff rating of 81.9 in the Arians era. That is almost identical to the career averages of Jake Del Homme, Neil O'Donnell and Dave Krieg. Joe Montana he is not.

There is a theme on this board amongst those who trash the defense: they all believe Roethlisberger is the greatest Steelers quarterback and that the Steelers could not win without him.
__________________
Lloydwoodson's Top 5 Posters of All-Time:

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #53
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach
 
ZoneBlitzer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,883
Gender: Male
Member Number: 16775
Thanks: 246
Thanked 476 Times in 252 Posts
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
.

Superbowl XLV Packers scored 24 (7 points from a pick 6 made 31). Packers scored 21 points off of 3 turnovers. A pick 6 and two drives that started on the GB 45.
This. That D played its ass off against a lethal GB attack. Harrison was right to be pissed off at Ben for shitting the bed. That crappy offensive performance started the trend of ineptitude that we have today. Of all things to point out I would never call out the D who has carried the majority of the load for years. YEARS.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #54
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,836
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 46,439
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

what i don't get is trying to bash the success we've had with Lebeau as the DC just to argue that we should now change to a 4-3 defense.

The defense held Seattle to 10 points when they averaged 28 pts per game (leading the league).
The defense held the Cardinals to 23 points when they had averaged almost 27 pts per game (3rd in the league). The Cardinals had put up more than 30 points in the previous 4 games, had 3 1000 yrd recievers (two of which had double digit TD's) and a QB who plays his best in the SB.

That's in two Championship games. If that's not Championship quality defense then you must be to use to Madden Football.
__________________
i'm not too happy with Sears right now, and on the 4th of July weekend.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #55
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
The problem is in the post-season the better QBs are playing. Generally, the Steelers do not do well vs the better QBs in the NFL. That's not to say they haven't done well in some games, but overall they are generally eaten up by the Mannings and Bradys. The talent/ability on defense is stagnant with barely any signs of improvement. Woodley was a reach when they gave him that absurd contract. The Steelers and many fans were fooled because he had some sacks. There is more to being a LB than sacks. Polamalu is old and injury prone, as is Harrison. The problem is they are still the two best players on defense. Hampton was kept too long. Kiesel is overrated by fans and has been for most of his career. Taylor still has a few miles left on him, but again he slowing down. Clark is doing well, for the most part, but he is old also. Timmons is pretty much the only bright spot on defense. The Steelers may need to do an overhaul, not a reload.

Currently there is really no one on the team to take the spots of Harrison and Polamalu.
our defense doesnt step up. The Giants faced Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady to win their championship because their defense made big plays, had sacks and turnovers and put Eli Manning in good situations.

That is an example of a championship defense

In their first championship they went through Favre and Brady.

Heck the Saints went through Favre and Manning.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 PM   #56
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
what i don't get is trying to bash the success we've had with Lebeau as the DC just to argue that we should now change to a 4-3 defense.

The defense held Seattle to 10 points when they averaged 28 pts per game (leading the league).
The defense held the Cardinals to 23 points when they had averaged almost 27 pts per game (3rd in the league). The Cardinals had put up more than 30 points in the previous 4 games, had 3 1000 yrd recievers (two of which had double digit TD's) and a QB who plays his best in the SB.

That's in two Championship games. If that's not Championship quality defense then you must be to use to Madden Football.
im not bashing, my opinion is this is not a championship defense.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #57
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,836
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 46,439
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
our defense doesnt step up. The Giants faced Matt Ryan, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady to win their championship because their defense made big plays, had sacks and turnovers and put Eli Manning in good situations.

That is an example of a championship defense

In their first championship they went through Favre and Brady.

Heck the Saints went through Favre and Manning.
doesn't step up? That's a bit of a cliche. I just don't see how you can just ignore the strength of a team that's won 2 SB's and been to another one for the past 8 years!
__________________
i'm not too happy with Sears right now, and on the 4th of July weekend.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #58
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Like I said I knew you were a Ben homer and just wanted you to say it. Thank you that is a big relief off my mind. Now I know you see Roethlisberger as "heroic" and nothing he ever does is wrong.

You pointed out the Jacksonville game- Ben threw a pick 6 and 2 other interceptions in that game. The Steelers lost by 2. Would the Steelers have had a better chance to win if Roethlisberger had not thrown 3 ints or a pick 6?

You pointed out the 2004 NWE game. Again... Roethlisberger threw 3 picks and a pick 6. It was his rookie season but don't put the game all on the defense when NWE scored 17 points off turnovers. Defense had a bad game but the offense sure didn't help.

Your "championship quarterback" had a playoff rating of 81.9 in the Arians era. That is almost identical to the career averages of Jake Del Homme, Neil O'Donnell and Dave Krieg. Joe Montana he is not.

There is a theme on this board amongst those who trash the defense: they all believe Roethlisberger is the greatest Steelers quarterback and that the Steelers could not win without him.

Ben Homer? yeah we cant win super bowls without him. Couldnt with O Donnell with a ton of super stars on that team. Couldnt with Kordell or Maddox. Ben takes over the same team both of them have andin year 2 we have a champsionship.

same defense with those guys as Ben had.

As for The Packer game, yes Ben wasnt good...why? He was playing against a championship defense. They made plays. They sacked him, intercepted him, returned one for a TD AND THEY STOPPED HIM ON THE LAST DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something our defense cant do.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelers5895 For This Useful Post:
stairway27 (01-22-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #59
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter
 
Bayz101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mansfield, Ohio
Posts: 7,684
Gender: Male
Member Number: 18856
Thanks: 1,224
Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,571 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

THIS is what a losing season results in. A bunch of people pointing fingers and blaming everything from the QB to the groundskeeper. God I can't wait for the off-season to end.
__________________


"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #60
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,836
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 46,439
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts
Default Re: Lebeau Defenses not Championship Defenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Ben Homer? yeah we cant win super bowls without him. Couldnt with O Donnell with a ton of super stars on that team. Couldnt with Kordell or Maddox. Ben takes over the same team both of them have andin year 2 we have a champsionship.

same defense with those guys as Ben had.

As for The Packer game, yes Ben wasnt good...why? He was playing against a championship defense. They made plays. They sacked him, intercepted him, returned one for a TD AND THEY STOPPED HIM ON THE LAST DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something our defense cant do.
what makes them a championship defense while Dick Lebeau's Defenses with us are mediocre???? You go on to say that they sacked Ben, intercepted him, and returned one of a TD and stopped him. Lebeau's defenses did all of those things to help win SB's. What do they have to do, throw shut-outs?
__________________
i'm not too happy with Sears right now, and on the 4th of July weekend.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts