Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21937
Arrow Best 2013 Salary Cap Options

Here to Stay
Ben Roethlisberger
Quote:
Roethlisberger is set for base salaries of $11.6 million in 2013 and 2015, and $12.1 million in 2014. Roethlisberger's total cap hit for 2013 is $20.595 million. The Steelers could take $10.5 million of Roethlisberger's base salary for 2013, and convert it to a signing bonus. He has three seasons left on his contract, including 2013. The prorated amount added to each season would be $3.5 million. The Steelers will save seven million against their team cap figure, although Roethlisberger's cap hits for 2014 and 2015 will increase by $3.5 million each.
VERDICT: Not worth restructuring, leave his contract alone. Cap hits for 2014 & 2015 would be around $19 million a year if we restructure his deal, putting us pretty much in the predicament we're in now with Ben's cap hit of $20.595 million.

Troy Polamalu
Quote:
The Steelers could restructure $6.4 million of his $7.5 million base salary into a signing bonus, they could charge half ($3.2 million) to 2014, saving an equal amount in 2013. If Polamalu wants to play in 2014, the Steelers could offer him an extension without its own signing bonus, giving them extra years to spread restructured money across. An extension would allow the team to deal with a reduced dead money penalty in 2015, covering only money restructured out of 2013 and 2014. So we'd free up $3.2 million of this years cap space.
VERDICT: Restructure contract to save $3.2 million in this years cap space and offer him an extension in 2014 IF he has healthy/strong season in 2013. Everything mentioned would be great for the future and for the present, hopefully Polamalu stays healthy and shows he's still a beast so the Steelers do offer him an extension in 2014.

Lamarr Woodley
Quote:
He is scheduled for a base salary of $9 million in 2013. His total cap hit is $13.24 million in 2013. The Steelers could restructure his deal by taking $8 million of his base salary and make it a signing bonus. The $8 million dollars is divided amongst all the years remaining on the contract including 2013, and added to each year's prorated bonus charges. This would save Pittsburgh $6 million dollars against 2013's cap hit, but add $2 million to each year after.
VERDICT: Not worth restructuring, leave his contract alone.

Lawrence Timmons
Quote:
Timmons is scheduled to receive a base salary of $5.375 million; but his accumulated prorated bonus designations add another $5.785 million, making his total cap hit $11.16 million. If the Steelers restructure his base salary so that $4 million is a signing bonus then the team would save $3 million in cap space this year, while adding only $1 million dollars to each year after.
VERDICT: This would be a good restructure as only an extra $1 million will affect the cap in the coming years, which isn't too bad.

Possible Releases
James Harrison
Quote:
Harrison counts for more than $10 million against the Steelers' 2013 salary cap. If the Steelers restructure his contract they'd only save less than $3 million. Pittsburgh would suffer a cap penalty of $4.93 million dollars for releasing Harrison. Subtracting this penalty from his original cap hit of $10.035 million Pittsburgh would save $5.105 million dollars against 2013's salary cap, and all $9.04 million against 2014. Another option would be to release him after June 1st. Going this route, the Steelers would suffer a penalty of $2.465 million dollars against both 2013, and 2014. Pittsburgh would save $7.57 million against 2013's original cap hit, and $6.575 million against 2014.
VERDICT: Cut Harrison and save $5.105 this year, but not have to worry about any cap hit in 2014.

Brett Keisel
Quote:
Keisel is due 4.5 million base salary in 2013. The Steelers have two choices: ask Keisel to take a pay cut that would save the team about $1.8 million or cut him and free up a little more than $2.8 million in cap space.
VERDICT: Cut him and free up a little more than $2.8 million in cap space.

Willie Colon
Quote:
He's scheduled to count $7.6 million against the cap in 2013. If the Steelers release him after the Super Bowl, the team would only save $1.2 million. However, If they waited until after June 1st, they would save a total of $4.425 million toward 2013, but would suffer a penalty of $3.225 million against 2014. There's another option here too, we could restructure his contract that is $5.5 million this year into a $4.5 million signing bonus and save $3 million in cap space, while adding $1.5 million to his dead money over the next two years.
VERDICT: Restructure his contract and save the $3 million in cap space. Mainly because he has proven that, when healthy, he can be a pretty good Left Guard. Also, if we ended up cutting Colon we'd have to either Re-sign Foster to be a starter or get a Offensive Lineman in the higher rounds and we all know that we have bigger priorities in the draft than Guard. Unless Chance Warmack magically appears at #17, this is the best option for the Steelers.

With my verdicts for Harrison, Keisel, Timmons, Polamalu, & Colon, The Steelers would save roughly $17.1 million of cap space.
However if the Steelers are trying to keep any of the these players: Keenan Lewis, Rashard Mendenhall, or Mike Wallace. Restructuring Woodley's deal so that $6 million cap space is made for 2013 and only $2 million per year dead money is added to Wooldey's cap hits for the rest of his contract, that's also another option so we would save $23.1 million of cap space.

Thoughts and comments?

Sources:
Steelers 2013 salary cap options - Offensive Line
Cost-Effective Moves the Pittsburgh Steelers Can Make This Offseason
Brett Keisel | Making the Call on Steelers' 8 Toughest Offseason Decisions
Exploring Steelers 2013 salary cap options by position - quarterback
Steelers 2013 salary cap options - Outside Linebackers
Steelers 2013 salary cap options - Safeties
Steelers 2013 salary cap options by position - Inside Linebacker

Last edited by Justp94; 01-23-2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added more details/options and better outcomes.
Justp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: Best 2013 Salary Cap Options

in a perfect world, all of your "best scenario's" would stay here forever - agree to all and any terms - and never leave or get cut.
However - a couple of those domino's on that list are sure to fall. I'm not a member of the FO team so i have no idea what they're thinking (nor does anyone else here), but it should be an interesting late winter/early spring around here.
I'm just not even sure how to guess how this is going to play out.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
in a perfect world, all of your "best scenario's" would stay here forever - agree to all and any terms - and never leave or get cut.
However - a couple of those domino's on that list are sure to fall. I'm not a member of the FO team so i have no idea what they're thinking (nor does anyone else here), but it should be an interesting late winter/early spring around here.
I'm just not even sure how to guess how this is going to play out.
Yeah, it's going to be a tough offseason with some big decisions to be made. I'm just hoping everything turns out good so we can at least be a winning team again next year and build on that for the 2014 season. However, I think that with enough hard work and training we could have some of our key drafts picks be a big influence in 2013.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

We restructure that many contracts then we're really screwed the next few years. I know some big name players will be gone but Pouncy and a lot more will need resigned. As for Heyward sitting another year and learning, there is no way you sit a first rounder for three years. He needs to start next season.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
We restructure that many contracts then we're really screwed the next few years. I know some big name players will be gone but Pouncy and a lot more will need resigned. As for Heyward sitting another year and learning, there is no way you sit a first rounder for three years. He needs to start next season.
I know that if we restructure this many we're screwed in 2014 and 2015. I was just trying to note the best options for each individual player for freeing Cap Space. I personally like the idea of Polamalu's contract restructuring.
Agreed with Heyward, however Ziggy Hood is the one I'm more concerned about... another former first round pick who really hasn't been as good as a first round talent should be.

Last edited by Justp94; 01-22-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Added better options and have given my choices for which players we should cut/restructure/give pay cuts to. Please give your feedback on the updated post and my choices.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

They pay alot of money for part time players: Ben, Woodley & Polomalu. WOW!!!
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Justp94
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
They pay alot of money for part time players: Ben, Woodley & Polomalu. WOW!!!
At one time in their careers they weren't, hopefully they can get back in good Steelers Football shape for this upcoming season and also stay healthy.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
exactly.

Other 1st rounders (even 2nd's) are starting all around and up and down the league, many in their first year and are making big impacts.
Yet - its somehow expected around here that they have to sit around "and learn for a couple years".
What? Huh? Why are they playing everywhere else but not here? Doesn't make sense to me, never did.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
exactly.

Other 1st rounders (even 2nd's) are starting all around and up and down the league, many in their first year and are making big impacts.
Yet - its somehow expected around here that they have to sit around "and learn for a couple years".
What? Huh? Why are they playing everywhere else but not here? Doesn't make sense to me, never did.
Because LeBeau's defense is TOO complicated.
Look at Keenan Lewis. He played very sparingly the first 3 yrs. Starts yr 4 and has a very good season. Then bang, he is a FA. And can get big money. They need to play the young more earlier and more...
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote