Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,128 Times in 3,910 Posts
Default Re: defense next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
No way spence is a safety. Although I'm not sold on him either only because he had a redshirt year so to speak but he's listed on the steelers website as 231lbs, foote is listed as 239lbs and farrior when he played was 240 or less through the season. I'm sure with the strength training program, he will be around what foote is coming into training camp.
He's also under 6 ft. tall. He's small, agile and fast, something I've already said, but 10 pounds is a lot for someone to bulk up and not lose their main asset. If he were to put on 10 pounds, do you think he'd be able to maintain the same speed he has now? It would hinder it, which is the only thing Spence has going for him.

Quote:
Like I said I'm not sold on him either that's just cause he hasn't played( I think he will contribute once he can show what he can do ), but don't say he's to small and that's why you don't think he can play.
I'm sorry, that's exactly why he can't play. Look at some of the best inside guys in the game right now - they're all over 240 and over 6 ft tall. When he played people kept talking about the flashes and potential he had, but I didn't see any of that. In fact, I saw a guy that was getting knocked around by bigger Running Backs.

He's too small. He's not big enough to play inside with Timmons. Do you honestly think he'd match up well against someone like Richardson? He'd get his ass handed to him time and time again. He's decent enough in coverage due to his speed, but this can also be a liability. If he's forced to tackle someone like Gronk, Hernandez or even Pitta, he's going to struggle. Again, his size works against him.

He has the instincts and awareness of Polamalu, but this doesn't translate to ILB.

Quote:
Nico Johnson would not be the answer , he is terrible in coverage, good to stop the run but bad in coverage, and we all want someone next to Timmons that can cover to free Timmons from those responsibilities.
Nico Johnson is 6'1 245 and isn't terrible in coverage. Have you watched Alabama games? He doesn't have the same speed as Spence but he's able to locate and tackle efficiently. He's great against the run and can blitz effectively. He's the anti-Spence and at this point, that's all I'm asking for.

He's big enough to be disruptive at the line of scrimmage but also has decent enough speed to cover TEs and slot receivers over the middle effectively. He also wouldn't get bent over trying to make tackles against bigger receivers and TEs.

I'm all for finally letting Timmons be used effectively, but if we're using Spence it would ultimately cause more problems than it would solutions. Spence would be a liability in the run game and would get easily knocked around by bigger Backs and wouldn't be able to blitz effectively. Spence is a one-dimensional Linebacker.

Johnson can cover and blitz, something that Foote and Farrior weren't capable of doing. He's just fast enough to be a cover guys over the middle but can blitz and disrupt the line with Timmons.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #12
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,258 Times in 2,974 Posts
My Mood: Goofy

I really like the idea of drafting Mike Mauti from Penn State. I know he has the knee injuries, but he should be available late. He's a real playmaker. He's a natural leader and a quality kid. He's very good in pass defense and catches the ball when it's anywhere near him. He's also an everydown linebacker and a very good tackler. I say play who we have and let this guy heal up and learn our system. I think he has a chance to be an outstanding linebacker. This sums him up well. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...fl-draft-stock
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #13
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,496 Times in 781 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

I can't see spence becoming an NFL safety.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Spence was drafted with special teams in mind. fast enough to get down field and blow up the special teams plays. no one looked at him as a potential starter. Injury fill in maybe. dont be shocked if he is cut. his knee injury was catostrophic from what I heard.

I have no expectations for this defense.

Now, this was the first time in 3 seasons Troy and Harrison entered the off season without a nagging injury or the need for surgery. That will keep Troy on the team but wont save Harrison.

Worlids replacing Harrison and a Woodley in better shape and witht he way Timmons played last year this could be the standard top 5 defense in yards again.

the question is, can they create splash plays, turnovers, sacks and hold leads?

I dont see any play makers.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

Nico Johnson is 6'1 245 and isn't terrible in coverage. Have you watched Alabama games? He doesn't have the same speed as Spence but he's able to locate and tackle efficiently. He's great against the run and can blitz effectively. He's the anti-Spence and at this point, that's all I'm asking for.

He's big enough to be disruptive at the line of scrimmage but also has decent enough speed to cover TEs and slot receivers over the middle effectively. He also wouldn't get bent over trying to make tackles against bigger receivers and TEs.

I'm all for finally letting Timmons be used effectively, but if we're using Spence it would ultimately cause more problems than it would solutions. Spence would be a liability in the run game and would get easily knocked around by bigger Backs and wouldn't be able to blitz effectively. Spence is a one-dimensional Linebacker.

Johnson can cover and blitz, something that Foote and Farrior weren't capable of doing. He's just fast enough to be a cover guys over the middle but can blitz and disrupt the line with Timmons.
This is from walterfootball, there are many other scouts take on Johnson that say the samething.

Skill-Set Summary: The biggest strength for Johnson as a defender is his run defense. He is tough and physical at the point of attack. Johnson has no issues wrapping big backs and bringing them to the ground. He flows pretty well in the direction of plays and is able to get on some perimeter runs. There is no hesitation in taking on blockers and Johnson does well holding his ground.

Johnson does not look like the best of athletes. He is not a fast linebacker that can cover a lot of ground. His instincts and awareness seem to be a little slow as well. If he improves his ability to read his keys and shows better instincts that could help make up for a lack of foot speed.

In pass defense Johnson does not cover a lot of ground. He also looks like a mismatch in man coverage versus backs or tight ends. The best route to go with Johnson as a pass defender is to have him blitz the quarterback. He's looked pretty good as a blitzer in limited opportunities, but he should see many more opportunities in 2012.

In the NFL, Johnson looks like he would best used as a rotational linebacker in obvious running situations. That probably means Johnson is just a backup because the NFL is based in the passing attack and nickel defenses. He would fit best on the inside of a 3-4 defense and doesn't have the speed to be a middle linebacker in a 4-3. Johnson should be a good special teams contributor.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...13njohnson.php
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Spence was drafted with special teams in mind. fast enough to get down field and blow up the special teams plays. no one looked at him as a potential starter. Injury fill in maybe. dont be shocked if he is cut. his knee injury was catostrophic from what I heard.

I have no expectations for this defense.

Now, this was the first time in 3 seasons Troy and Harrison entered the off season without a nagging injury or the need for surgery. That will keep Troy on the team but wont save Harrison.

Worlids replacing Harrison and a Woodley in better shape and witht he way Timmons played last year this could be the standard top 5 defense in yards again.

the question is, can they create splash plays, turnovers, sacks and hold leads?

I dont see any play makers.
drafted in the 3rd round to play special teams?

If Worilds and Woodley get better pressure on the QB, and Polamalu and Timmons can play together and stay healthy I think this defense could make the big plays next year.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
drafted in the 3rd round to play special teams?

If Worilds and Woodley get better pressure on the QB, and Polamalu and Timmons can play together and stay healthy I think this defense could make the big plays next year.
I cant see any other logic. The 3-4 ILB have to be big enough to stuff the run. The DL take the blockers to free up the LBs to make the plays. His weakness was run stuffing. Our weakness was special teams. He could have been a special teams monster.

i doubted the pick from when it was made. another wasted pick
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #18
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
He's also under 6 ft. tall. He's small, agile and fast, something I've already said, but 10 pounds is a lot for someone to bulk up and not lose their main asset. If he were to put on 10 pounds, do you think he'd be able to maintain the same speed he has now? It would hinder it, which is the only thing Spence has going for him.

I'm sorry, that's exactly why he can't play. Look at some of the best inside guys in the game right now - they're all over 240 and over 6 ft tall. When he played people kept talking about the flashes and potential he had, but I didn't see any of that. In fact, I saw a guy that was getting knocked around by bigger Running .
So London fletcher is a bad linebacker because he is 5-10 Zach Thomas was also bad because he was 5-11. Drew Bree's, russel Wilson, Doug flute, were to small to be good at Qb. Wes walker being 5-9 same as Steve smith make them bad receivers because wr should be 6-0 taller as well. Bob sanders, Antonio Winfield, are 5-8 5-9 safeties that's should be to small as well right? I can keep going

Don't judge a player based on his height and weight because it was proven to be wrong every year with players not being the prototypical size and height and being great.

We have seen spence only in preseason his rookie year in limited time. And no 10 pounds wouldn't hinder the fact that he can cover. Also to the point of weight I can find the article so take this for what you want but farrior has said during the season he would be around 230 that was his playing weight.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Spence was drafted to be the Starter ... his size will hamper him a little but his instincts more then make up for it ... as long as he comes back healthy

He was also drafted cause I really believe Tomlin wants to move to a 4-3 after Lebeau is gone , whenever that will be...
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #20
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
So London fletcher is a bad linebacker because he is 5-10 Zach Thomas was all bad because he was 5-11. Drew Bree's, russel Wilson, Doug flute, were to small to be good at Qb. Wes walker being 5-9 same as Steve smith make them bad receivers because wr should be 6-0 taller as well. Bob sanders, Antonio Winfield, are 5-8 5-9 safeties that's should be to small as well right?

Don't judge a player based on his height and weight because it was proven to be wrong every year with players not being the prototypical size and height and being great.

We have seen spence only in preseason his rookie year in limited time. And no 10 pounds wouldn't hinder the fact that he can cover. Also to the point of weight I can find the article so take this for what you want but farrior has said during the season he would be around 230 that was his playing weight.
Another player in this draft I like that's getting over looked because of his size is DB Nigel Malone ... all he does is make plays, someone I would look at in the 6th or 7th
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote