Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #21
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000
Default Re: WR/Safety in the First Round

Kenny vaccaro is the pick if available at 17
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #22
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
Kenny vaccaro is the pick if available at 17
I've been saying this and I am glad that others are too. He actually reminds me a lot of Troy but I think he is a bit less 'wreckless'(though not much less) and a better wrap up tackler. Obviously there are areas he needs to improve but as often as Troy is injured Kenny figures in to be an immdiate help.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #23
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
I've been saying this and I am glad that others are too. He actually reminds me a lot of Troy but I think he is a bit less 'wreckless'(though not much less) and a better wrap up tackler. Obviously there are areas he needs to improve but as often as Troy is injured Kenny figures in to be an immdiate help.
Kenny vaccaro would make an immediate impact in our nickel defense either covering the slot guy or tight ends which he did a lot in Texas, then take over at safety once Troy/Clark are gone
Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #24
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Exactly. If the Steelers pick a WR in the first you will have the same fans next year asking for a WR in the first and so on...

Replacing Wallace shouldn't be difficult. All they need to do is find a WR with a great 40 time. To be like Wallace all the WR needs to do put forth minimal to zero effort, drop passes and run straight ahead. Then do all of that for a fraction of what Wallace wants.
Yes it's difficult to replace him. Everyone knows that he would run straight ahead and he still beat most of the coverage. He is that fast. He demands other teams' deep coverage which is a huge advantage to other WR and TE. The real question is whether the Steelers needs to replace his deep threat role. He is a perfect fit in a big play scheme but not so much in Haley's scheme.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
Yes it's difficult to replace him. Everyone knows that he would run straight ahead and he still beat most of the coverage. He is that fast. He demands other teams' deep coverage which is a huge advantage to other WR and TE. The real question is whether the Steelers needs to replace his deep threat role. He is a perfect fit in a big play scheme but not so much in Haley's scheme.
Exactly Wallace's skills didn't fit Haley system all to well. If we go wr and if he drops to us in round 2 I'm all for deandre Hopkins from Clemson. You can look up his skills, strengths and weaknesses but I just want to point out other than being a great wr prospect the guy is not a showboat. Watch game film and specially highlights, when he scores a td he throws the ball to the ref and goes on the sideline. I hate when brown and sanders get first downs and act like its the biggest play that day----get back to the huddle and score. Seems like Hopkins is a good character guy as well ( that's just from what I saw on film)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #26
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,111 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
Exactly Wallace's skills didn't fit Haley system all to well. If we go wr and if he drops to us in round 2 I'm all for deandre Hopkins from Clemson. You can look up his skills, strengths and weaknesses but I just want to point out other than being a great wr prospect the guy is not a showboat. Watch game film and specially highlights, when he scores a td he throws the ball to the ref and goes on the sideline. I hate when brown and sanders get first downs and act like its the biggest play that day----get back to the huddle and score. Seems like Hopkins is a good character guy as well ( that's just from what I saw on film)
Coming from a Clemson fan Hopkins is the real deal, just the the way he played this year and also coming up in big clutch moments like he did against LSU in the Sugar Bowl that last drive was beautiful lol
[YOUTUBE]dCVWGxNjF_k[/YOUTUBE]
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #27
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

No WR in the first round. That would be plain stupid. We have a lower draft pick than we have had in awhile. Get a stud LB or CB (if we don't hang onto Keenan Lewis). Did someone actually mention a QB in the first round? You have got to be kidding. There is no way they draft a QB first. I think Hoyer would be a good backup if they can get him back. He is not geriatric and worked in a good system under Belicheat. I think he would be good enough to play a few games if needed. He would probably be at least as good as a lot of the starters we had back in the 90s which is all you need for a backup QB.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #28
AgentGold007
Banned

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

I think we get the best value by drafting an impact player that can start on day one on defense. Although I would not be disappointed at all if they drafted Vaccaro in the first round, I doubt very seriously he'll be a day one starter, unless Troy or Clark are injured, which wouldn't be a shock either, but under the assumption they stay relatively healthy, we won't see Vaccaro for maybe two years. I think we'd get the most immediate impact if we drafted either an ILB, OLB, or DT. Not saying necessarily that we have to take them in the first round to get immediate impact, just saying that the chances are a lot higher for getting a quick return on our investment if we addressed those positions with premium talent. With that being said, I still don't think that Manti Te'o would be out of the question if he's sitting there when the Steelers pick. I know there's a lot of drama surrounding him right now, but he's still the same player that most of us would have jumped for joy if the Steelers had a chance to draft him. He may have imaginary girlfriends, but he's still a hell of a football player, and I guarantee if we pass on him, the ravens won't. Maybe we can draft ILB, OLB, or DT in the first and then pick up Baccari Rambo in the 2nd or 3rd.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #29
AgentGold007
Banned

Member Number: 20176
My Mood: Cool

I doubt very seriously that we draft a WR in the first round. I think with the Steelers success of finding receivers in the third round and beyond, I think they believe that they can find a legit receiver after the first round.
AgentGold007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #30
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,741 Times in 8,635 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentGold007 View Post
I doubt very seriously that we draft a WR in the first round. I think with the Steelers success of finding receivers in the third round and beyond, I think they believe that they can find a legit receiver after the first round.
Colbert had flat-out stated that teams can find WRs and RBs in the later rounds... which, he has.

The one "exception" was Spinny... which, seemed more of a "Tomlin not liking FWP & wanting a RB NOW" than a Colbert type of move.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote