Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,753 Times in 4,293 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Trib-Review Ranks Steelers SB Winners - 78 Team #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Agreed you can only compare teamns to others in the era in which they played but humans have not evolved much in 40 years - with weight training and whatever "supplements" today's NFL players are using I am assuming the 70s players would bulk up to comparable weights and be physicaly comparable to toady's players - it is not as if the game in the 70s was slow white folks only
Very good point. Also add the round-the-year training that today's players get and I don't doubt that the players of the past would be able to compete with the players of today.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,026 Times in 3,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Very good point. Also add the round-the-year training that today's players get and I don't doubt that the players of the past would be able to compete with the players of today.
I wonder how huge dick butkus would have been with today's supplements lol. wasn't be like 270 lbs playing way back when? dude was a monster, looked like a gorilla playing against midgets
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #23
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I agree. That team was unreal!
austinfrench76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #24
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
It's hard to compare teams 30 years apart. Some how I don't think a 220lb like Jim Clack would be real effective landing a trap block on 350lb Casey Hampton....

Truth be told, different game/different era/different player build. As much fun as it is to imagine, in reality, there is no comparison. Our current team would beat them to smithereenes.....not saying the 70's crew wouldn't make a respectable showing, but eventually the size and power of today's better equiped, better trained, much larger, and faster players, would win in a rout.
I think if you 1) put say the 78' team against the 2005 team for 10 games and 2) implemented the old rules for 5 games, and the new rules for 5 games, the 78' teams wins 6 or 7. They just seemed too have the one primary advantage to win games: " heart". The 70's team was "kill or be killed" for "every" game. I just don't see that in these newer guys at that 70's level. But I think there would be some close games.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM   #25
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,060 Posts

Just for the record, Jim Clack had trouble maintaining weight at 220 lbs, consuming in mega amounts of food calories daily AND anobolic steroids. (ref "About Three Bricks Shy of a Load").

Steroids are more effective than today's supplements ( like deer antlers) at adding muscle mass, and they were not outlawed. Steroids also had a side benefit, roid rage.

I met Joe Greene in the National Record Mart at 5th and Liberty back in 1976, and thought he was the biggest person I'd ever seen, @ 6'4" & 270lbs.... Some of the guys today, are closing in on a 100lbs more and 4 inches taller. I don't think better food and training would have added another 50-70lbs and 4 inches to Greene's frame for him to play in today's game., certainly not at DT.

One other point, I'm not so sure that with these players playing at the weight they do, is conducive to maintaining proper joint and muscle health. They have built themselves up to the point where they are violating the laws of physics exceeding their engineering capacity, which is why we see all of these muscle pulls, tears and ligament issues.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #26
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,753 Times in 4,293 Posts

Quote:
Just for the record, Jim Clack had trouble maintaining weight at 220 lbs, consuming in mega amounts of food calories daily AND anobolic steroids. (ref "About Three Bricks Shy of a Load").

Steroids are more effective than today's supplements ( like deer antlers) at adding muscle mass, and they were not outlawed. Steroids also had a side benefit, roid rage.
a lot of good points but I have to disagree, it's not just the food and steroids that bulk ppl up but also the training methods. Fact is we'll never know and it's fun to debate the question.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #27
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,727 Times in 2,232 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:

I met Joe Greene in the National Record Mart at 5th and Liberty back in 1976, and thought he was the biggest person I'd ever seen, @ 6'4" & 270lbs.... Some of the guys today, are closing in on a 100lbs more and 4 inches taller. I don't think better food and training would have added another 50-70lbs and 4 inches to Greene's frame for him to play in today's game., certainly not at DT.

One other point, I'm not so sure that with these players playing at the weight they do, is conducive to maintaining proper joint and muscle health. They have built themselves up to the point where they are violating the laws of physics exceeding their engineering capacity, which is why we see all of these muscle pulls, tears and ligament issues.
you make a fantastic point - I actually think due to the emergence of the passing game, we are going to see speedier, athletic, leaner guys on the defensive side of the ball - def a transition at what we're looking for on the D-line. Being taller with long arms is being sought over bulk and power. Now - that said, the taller guys are taller, and the faster guys are faster, and the hits are at higher speeds IMO - so yea, while we will see different body types now than in the past 10-20 seasons, there will be more damage just because of evolution, also - because the league is mandating less "football-ready" conditioning - aka if you aren't practicing taking a pounding as much before the season starts, you are seeing teams not being conditioned for it until later in the season.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
It's funny how much I love the Steelers I still have not seen a single game from the Bradshaw era. It was before my time but iI always wanted to watch those games
I downloaded the entire 1978 AFC Championship against Houston from youtube, but unfortunately I don't see it on youtube anymore.

That's probably why I downloaded it. I also have all four of the first Super Bowls on DVD, of varying quality.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #29
VaDave
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
a lot of good points but I have to disagree, it's not just the food and steroids that bulk ppl up but also the training methods. Fact is we'll never know and it's fun to debate the question.
No doubt training regimins have improved over the last 40 years, but back in the 70s there was more of an emphasis on speed ( what there was of it) and power over size. You're right, it is fun to think about it.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #30
VaDave
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
you make a fantastic point - I actually think due to the emergence of the passing game, we are going to see speedier, athletic, leaner guys on the defensive side of the ball - def a transition at what we're looking for on the D-line. Being taller with long arms is being sought over bulk and power. Now - that said, the taller guys are taller, and the faster guys are faster, and the hits are at higher speeds IMO - so yea, while we will see different body types now than in the past 10-20 seasons, there will be more damage just because of evolution, also - because the league is mandating less "football-ready" conditioning - aka if you aren't practicing taking a pounding as much before the season starts, you are seeing teams not being conditioned for it until later in the season.
Did anybody tell Ngata????? LOL!!!