Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2013 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,007 Times in 4,256 Posts
Default My First 'Official' Mock of 2013

Can mocks be official? Seems kind of silly. Anyway, here's my first 'official' mock of 2013.

R1. Dion Jordan - DE / converted to OLB - Oregon

This pick hasn't and won't change for me. I wrote an article about why I think he's an elite prospect and talent which is still sitting at 0 replies, so I guess that isn't the popular choice on these forums so because of that, I won't go into why I like him or why I think he'll be our first. Right now, he's the only guy I would take over Vaccaro because of the need we have at OLB and the lack of depth in this draft for legitimate pass-rushers.

R2. David Amerson - CB / converted to FS - North Carolina State

He's a ballhawk. 12 interceptions in 2011 and 16 pass defensed. This is the kind of guy we're missing in the backfield right now. We have Ryan Clark who is a very good Run Support FS, but he can't pick off passes consistently and is better when he's playing in the box. He's also up there in age as well. On the other side, we have Troy who hasn't been the same for years. He's obviously lost a step and can no longer create turnovers at the pace we need him to. Amerson is the kind of guy that can step in and create turnovers when he eventually takes over the reigns for Clark. He wouldn't start next year, but he would make an instantaneous impact on ST and has the potential to play specific packages for us.

R3. Jonathan Cyprien - SS - Florida International

Talk about a 1 / 2 punch with Cyprien and Amerson in 2014. Cyprien hits hard and plays harder. A guy that was turning heads all week at the Senior Bowl shot his draft stock up from a potentially undrafted to a third round draft choice - not bad for a weeks work. He's not only a big hitter, he's also great in coverage. He plays like a Polamalu in the fact that he can play in the box but also has the ability to blanket receivers and often times plays his best when he's able to play on the line of scrimmage and jam receivers when he's asked. He didn't get to showcase his ability to blitz or disrupt so that's the only question mark here for him. A great pickup for us.

R4. Marcus Lattimore - RB - South Carolina

Here he is. Look, this is probably the safest pick in the entire draft for us. A fourth round pick spent on a guy that has the potential to be our franchise Running Back for years. Everyone knows about his potential and the upside he brings so I won't ramble. I do think he's going to be ready for the NFL come September and I do think he's going to be our starting Running Back. Here's a picture for you guys - Marcus Lattimore running behind Pouncey and DeCastro. Yeah, I'll take it.

R5. Nico Johnson - LB - Alabama

I've been catching a lot of heat for knocking Spence and questioning his ability and whether or not he's going to be our guy. Now, I'm not going to open that can of worms, but I think Johnson is the better overall prospect and a better fit for us. He isn't great in coverage and this is something I'll concede, but most 'experts' had him as a sure-fire first rounder going into the 2012 season. He was overshadowed on a defense that has elite playmakers at every single position on the field and now that will ultimately benefit us. He's excellent against the run and can stuff plays at the line of scrimmage. He's a bigger, faster and stronger Larry Foote with better coverage ability. While he isn't great in coverage, he's good enough to free up Timmons and allow him to blitz and disrupt the line consistently which would ultimately help Jordan and Woodley get pressure.

R6. Michael Williams - TE - Alabama

This is another guy that turned heads at the Senior Bowl, but didn't do enough to launch his stock considerably. This is a project pick, but a great one. If he's able to work and learn under Miller, this guy is the next Heath Miller. He's fast and agile enough to get separation but big enough with sure-hands to be a legitimate redzone target. This could potentially be the best pick of the 2013 draft and not just for us - but period.

R7. Marquess Wilson - WR - Washington State

Another project pick. The guy can just catch passes. He possesses deceptive speed and is lean and athletic enough to get separation. The only knock on this guy is his size. He's listed as 6'3 188 lbs., but looks closer to 175 in reality. He needs to bulk up and continue to put size on but if he's able to accomplish this, I think he's going to be a very good pick for us. This guy has the potential to be the next Antonio Brown type player for this team.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,000 Times in 3,719 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: My First 'Official' Mock of 2013

very nice looking draft, sounds like the type of players we could use
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

1 - I don't like Dion Jordan ... obvious reasons i've stated before ...
2 - I love Amerson , and in the 2nd he's great, I would even think about him in the 1st ... Yes this year he played a couple bad games, but he's a playmaker and somebody I would feel comfortable with playing FS and even man coverage against TE as he got the length to get around their big bodies
3 - I really like Cyprien also , seems like a guy worth a 3-4th round selection... only question is who are you taking him over? somebody like Philip Thomas then no, but if he's off the board I would like Cyprien or Duke Williams
4- Yes i know clear cut 1st round guy before the injury... but no thanks , wayyy to many injury concerns for me... might make some team happy in a couple years , but don't think we are in the position to take that gamble... especially over guys like Gillislee or Barner
5 - No thanks on Nico Johnson... I think got to snag up Michael Williams here or even the 4th, I think the senior bowl showed he's more then just a blocker and can be a good all around TE
6 - I love Michael Williams but like I said I think that's to low for him after his senior bowl
7 - Good potential but with the character problems this year I doubt they take any "Fliers" this year
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

I like it. I'm growing worried that with more and more athletes making complete recoveries from ACL injuries in recent years, Lattimore will go much earlier than many expect him to, but to be honest I wouldn't be upset if we used our third or maybe even our second to snag him if that's what it took.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I like it. I'm growing worried that with more and more athletes making complete recoveries from ACL injuries in recent years, Lattimore will go much earlier than many expect him to, but to be honest I wouldn't be upset if we used our third or maybe even our second to snag him if that's what it took.
I thought about that for a while too. Then, Gillislee and Barner both had great Senior Bowl appearances and other scouts are starting to warm up to Knile Davis out of Arkansas. I think that most teams will watch that tape of Lattimore's injury and breeze right over him until the fifth round which can only mean we've found our franchise guy in the fourth.

If Colbert and Tomlin are feeling a little antsy about that though, I wouldn't be at all upset or surprised if they took him in the third round. This is a deep secondary class and someone like Lester or Thomas will be on the board in the fourth round waiting to be scooped. Either way, Lattimore in the Black and Gold is a good thing.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Injuries and bad character have plagued the steelers last year and years before. So I believe they will be looking for guys with a clean bill of health and good character ( rooney and Colbert already mention about chatacter )
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

1) Dion Jordan - Always a fan and love this pick. Could you share the link of your post? I think I have missed it.
2) David Amerson - Not sure if we would draft a CB in the second round. A WR or S will be more likely IMO.
3) Jonathan Cyprien - Like this pick. My third choice of Safety, behind Vaccaro and Elam.
4) Marcus Lattimore - Like this pick. Relatively low risk, high reward pick.
5) Nico Johnson - Like this pick. But I'm not sure he will still be available at this round.
6) Michael Williams- Always a fan and love this pick. Excellent blocker and he has shown that he can catch when he's given the opportunity. But like Nico Johnson, I'm not sure he will still be available at the 6th round. Picking him at the 5th may be safer.
7) Marquess Wilson - Not familiar with him so no comment.

I like your draft overall except the second round. I would pick a WR there.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
1) Dion Jordan - Always a fan and love this pick. Could you share the link of your post? I think I have missed it.
2) David Amerson - Not sure if we would draft a CB in the second round. A WR or S will be more likely IMO.
5) Nico Johnson - Like this pick. But I'm not sure he will still be available at this round.
6) Michael Williams- Always a fan and love this pick. Excellent blocker and he has shown that he can catch when he's given the opportunity. But like Nico Johnson, I'm not sure he will still be available at the 6th round. Picking him at the 5th may be safer.

I like your draft overall except the second round. I would pick a WR there.
Here's a link to my article I wrote on Jordan http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=96124

I agree that even if Lewis walks, our need for a CB would still be relatively low. However, I'm all for drafting Amerson and throwing him to FS and letting him be the FS of the future for this team. Cyprien and Amerson compliment each others' skillsets perfectly. Cyprien could play in the box and disrupt, while Ameson could play downfield and pick off passes. Man, I love that combination.

I honestly think Johnson is going to be there in the 5th. He had a pretty poor Senior Bowl and damaged an already down-trending draft stock. People aren't going to be willing to take a shot at him because of this and it will ultimately result to him being drafted later than he should have been. I'll admit that Williams is probably going to be gone before the 6th, but a guy can hope!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but apparently Lemonier is shooting up draft boards. I'd be willing to bet the Steelers have their eye on this kid. I'll come right out and admit it - I was dead wrong about this kid. I'll have to go reevaluate but Matt is a reliable and often times right on the money source.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #10
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but apparently Lemonier is shooting up draft boards. I'd be willing to bet the Steelers have their eye on this kid. I'll come right out and admit it - I was dead wrong about this kid. I'll have to go reevaluate but Matt is a reliable and often times right on the money source.
I hope they don't pick him ... another DE turned OLB that can't really drop back in coverage ... but this would be a Steelers pick
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote