Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-18-2006, 04:54 AM   #11
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480
Default Re: Lynn Swann update....

Let's all agree that when you run for office this is the kind of stuff people on both sides of the political fence look for. How many good, sincere people from either party dont engage in politics because they dont want to get roughed up?

The ebay thing is a good point. i have heard of some jocks who wont sign anything at all because of it. Speaking of ebay....picked up some good steeler things this week.
redst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:15 AM   #12
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Does anyone know just how he is doin in the governors race? Since I am in Baltimore I dont hear too much on it other then what my mom tells me. I guess he isnt doin so well...???
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
redst3
Starter
Supporter

From Politics 1

PENNSYLVANIA - GOVERNOR: Governor Ed Rendell (D) - 51%, Lynn Swann (R) - 41%. (Strategic Vision-R). That was released today, most polls have him farther behind....
Old 08-18-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
redst3
Starter
Supporter

anyway enough politics, lets talk football...

anyone have a favorite Lynn Swan moment? Mine was the catch in Super Bowl 14 in double coverage when Bradshaw got clobbered and hit him.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:32 AM   #15
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by redst3
anyway enough politics, lets talk football...

Amen to that.....
Old 08-18-2006, 11:35 AM   #16
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Thanks for taking the time to post that info, Lambert. I personally know Frank Caputo - he used to have a card shop here in my neighborhood and was one of my assistant coaches when I had his daughter on my girls' softball team years back and is a very honorable guy. If he said that's what happened, that's what happened.

While I feel that Lynn's attitude and actions mentioned are somewhat deplorable, it really doesn't shock me as there are a lot of professional athletes, past and present, who have the same shitty attitude. Joe Montana refused to come to his class reunion at Ringgold High unless they paid him a $5,000 fee up front - I got this from the woman who set up the event, as I used to work with her. Sometimes it is an ego thing and other times, it is because they just want to be left alone on their "off time". That being said, though, I've never felt it was right for an athlete to charge for his autograph during his playing days, as they sometimes forget that the fans are their bread and butter in the long run.

However, as I've stated previously - I don't look at a candidate's personal life (as long as they haven't been tried and convicted of a felony, are an axe-murderer, rapist, pedophile, etc.) when deciding upon a candidate to support. Everyone has a skeleton or two in their closets. If I weighed heavily on what a person did or has done in their personal lives which is viewed as "unacceptable" by some, I don't think I would have ever voted.

OK - now back to football. I just wanted to acknowledge and thank Lambert for his efforts here.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #17
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

[QUOTE=LambertIsGod58]As you may recall I posted a take about how much of a jerk I think Swann is. I stated that I ascertained my information from a book. I found the excerpts I was looking for. The book is "Lambert, The Man in the Middle" by Jim O'brien.

1) pg. 346 Chapter named "Signing Stories, Who's Nice and Who's Not"

Saylor had a story about Lynn Swann, a former Steelers' receiver who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in the summer of 2002. "I paid $75 a pop for his signature," recalled Saylor. "I had him sign a miniature USC helmet and a miniature Steelers helmet. I dropped $150 right there. I asked him if he'd put his number next to his name. Swann said, 'You're paying for my autograph--nothing else!'

2) pg 346

Frank Caputo, who owns Caputo's Sports Collectibles in Century III Mall, said, " I heard a story where someone asked Swann to sign some stuff that they were going to use to raise some funds for Mike Webster when he was hurting. Swann said he'd do it, but he had to get some money for it. That was disappointing to hear that."

3) pg 348

Another story making th rounds was that Swann got into a dispute with a Steelers' marking rep over how much of a commission the Steelers ought to get from Swann signing memorabilia. "Don't you know," said Swann in a huff, "that you are dealing with a HOF'er."

4) pg 348

I said "Hi, Mr. Swann. I'm a big fan of yours.' He never even acknowledged my greeting. He just turned around and walked back out. It was a real letdown. I felt so stupid for liking him in the first place.

The fourth scenerio was a statement made by a fan who was meeting Swann for the very first time.

I'm posting this just for anyone who questioned the integrity of what I was saying...[/QUOTE]
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:18 PM   #18
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

That would not be me. :)
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:38 PM   #19
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn
That would not be me. :)
I guess in a way, that would be ME, admittedly. I wasn't questioning Lambert's integrity as much as I was asking for some back-up documentation as to where he had heard this. I think that is a normal reaction. He provided the info and really, that's all I asked for.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #20
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
Thanks for taking the time to post that info, Lambert. I personally know Frank Caputo - he used to have a card shop here in my neighborhood and was one of my assistant coaches when I had his daughter on my girls' softball team years back and is a very honorable guy. If he said that's what happened, that's what happened.

While I feel that Lynn's attitude and actions mentioned are somewhat deplorable, it really doesn't shock me as there are a lot of professional athletes, past and present, who have the same shitty attitude. Joe Montana refused to come to his class reunion at Ringgold High unless they paid him a $5,000 fee up front - I got this from the woman who set up the event, as I used to work with her. Sometimes it is an ego thing and other times, it is because they just want to be left alone on their "off time". That being said, though, I've never felt it was right for an athlete to charge for his autograph during his playing days, as they sometimes forget that the fans are their bread and butter in the long run.

However, as I've stated previously - I don't look at a candidate's personal life (as long as they haven't been tried and convicted of a felony, are an axe-murderer, rapist, pedophile, etc.) when deciding upon a candidate to support. Everyone has a skeleton or two in their closets. If I weighed heavily on what a person did or has done in their personal lives which is viewed as "unacceptable" by some, I don't think I would have ever voted.

OK - now back to football. I just wanted to acknowledge and thank Lambert for his efforts here.

One thing that I want to add to this equation is that ...all athletes have agents..and managers...when we all say that "Lynn Swann said...." or "Joe Montana said...."....there is at least the chance that neither of these guys ever talked to thte people involved but rather a manager gave the "usual comment" that he gives to all reguests for his client to show up. The managers and agents get a cut of all the bookings...so they probably dont care if the people at the other end of the reguest are hurt . In their perception they probably view any event that their client is booked "for free" as money they are not earning. Its not right..and an athlete who is paying attention will nix that type of bad publicity. Thats not to say that either of these guys are or are not tools...but the scenerio I mentioned is definataly a very good possiblity.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote