Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #21
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Lynn Swann update....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
One thing that I want to add to this equation is that ...all athletes have agents..and managers...when we all say that "Lynn Swann said...." or "Joe Montana said...."....there is at least the chance that neither of these guys ever talked to thte people involved but rather a manager gave the "usual comment" that he gives to all reguests for his client to show up. The managers and agents get a cut of all the bookings...so they probably dont care if the people at the other end of the reguest are hurt . In their perception they probably view any event that their client is booked "for free" as money they are not earning. Its not right..and an athlete who is paying attention will nix that type of bad publicity. Thats not to say that either of these guys are or are not tools...but the scenerio I mentioned is definataly a very good possiblity.
That's a very valid point and a reasonable possibility, LLT.

If Swann was up for Nice Guy of the Decade, I'd think twice about supporting him after reading Lambert's and others' posts, but like I said, I'm supporting him for Governor of PA regardless of past behaviors because I feel he is the better candidate of the two and I like his ideas and long term goals for PA. Nothing more, nothing less.

Lambert and I discussed this via PMs and we're cool, though we disagree on our opinions.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:40 PM   #22
pitt
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 474

I'm between a rock and a hard place with this election. I do not like Rendell or the job he is doing but I STILL don't know enough about where Swann stands on the issues to vote for him. Most of the fund raising letters I get from him have more football memories than tax cut ideas in them. I honestly don't care if hes the meanest SOB around as long as he gets the job done. I'm leaning towards him just because we are in the same party but that is a real lame ass excuse to vote for someone.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #23
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt
I'm between a rock and a hard place with this election. I do not like Rendell or the job he is doing but I STILL don't know enough about where Swann stands on the issues to vote for him. Most of the fund raising letters I get from him have more football memories than tax cut ideas in them. I honestly don't care if hes the meanest SOB around as long as he gets the job done. I'm leaning towards him just because we are in the same party but that is a real lame ass excuse to vote for someone.
Pitt - you can read all about Lynn's platform and his ideas for change here.

http://www.swannforgovernor.com/vision/

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 08-18-2006, 05:33 PM   #24
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

HometownGirl...I posted the reference material not because I feel you didn't believe me. It just seemed that it lacked integrity without the quotes...By the way, thumbs up for having class throughout the whole thread. Nice to have an adult on here who can have a difference of opinion and not take it personal...As far as the person who stated that the examples I used could have came via a political agenda...the book was written well in advance of Swann announcing his candidacy.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:38 PM   #25
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

Quote:
As far as the person who stated that the examples I used could have came via a political agenda...the book was written well in advance of Swann announcing his candidacy.
Being that person, I'd like to respond.

I don't know when this book was written. I do know that Swann was a likely cantidate long before he actually declared his cantidancy. If this book was written in the past 3 years, I maintain my position that it MAY have been politically motivated.

Let's look at the examples that you have given.

example 1
Quote:
Saylor had a story about Lynn Swann
Who is thas Saylor fella? Or is it a Saylor gal?

example 2
Quote:
Frank Caputo, who owns Caputo's Sports Collectibles in Century III Mall, said, " I heard a story
I heard a story? Sorry, but "a story" isn't a reliable source. Mr Capula may be the most honest man on Earth, but he didn't claim (nor can he) that that "a story" is true.

example 3
Quote:
Another story making th rounds was that Swann got into a dispute with a Steelers' marking rep
"another story" is as reliable a source as "a story"

example 4
Quote:
I said "Hi, Mr. Swann. I'm a big fan of yours.' He never even acknowledged my greeting. He just turned around and walked back out. It was a real letdown. I felt so stupid for liking him in the first place.
The fourth scenerio was a statement made by a fan who was meeting Swann for the very first time.
Is "a fan" related to "a story" and "another story"? Sorry, but I can't consider "a fan" to be a reliable source.

These claims may very well be true, but we should also consider the possibility of them being false. We all know that politicians are often liars. Often, a politician's supporters are also more than willing to lie in order to advance the cantidate of their choice.

Please understand that I am NOT saying that Jim O'brien lied when writing this book. I am, however, stating that the possibility exists that he did lie for political purposes. If you want to consider Swann a jerk based on what you've read in a book, that's your perogative. Personally, I'm sceptical of what I read, especially when the sources are "no first name Saylor", His or her cousin "a story", "A story's " brother "another story", and "another story's" illigitemit child "A friend"
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #26
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt
Most of the fund raising letters I get from him have more football memories than tax cut ideas in them.

Problem here though. If the federal government is going to cut taxes while supporting a war, then the state is going to have to raise taxes to support that infrastructure that the feds no longer subsidize... or if the state doesn't then the county or the township will have to. It's not a matter of cutting taxes as much as it is sensible allocation of existing money; maximizing value, you might say. Over on this side of the state, people love the guy. Swann has his work cut out, if he turns it into an east-west battle he'll lose.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:35 PM   #27
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
HometownGirl...I posted the reference material not because I feel you didn't believe me. It just seemed that it lacked integrity without the quotes...By the way, thumbs up for having class throughout the whole thread. Nice to have an adult on here who can have a difference of opinion and not take it personal...As far as the person who stated that the examples I used could have came via a political agenda...the book was written well in advance of Swann announcing his candidacy.
Kudos to both of you for being classy here. I just love it when things work out!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #28
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertIsGod58
Thank you Lambert - I really appreciate that. You answered my question and it's all good buddy. Thanks again for being such a gentleman throughout this "debate".

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 08-19-2006, 06:31 AM   #29
HometownGal
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca
Problem here though. If the federal government is going to cut taxes while supporting a war, then the state is going to have to raise taxes to support that infrastructure that the feds no longer subsidize... or if the state doesn't then the county or the township will have to. It's not a matter of cutting taxes as much as it is sensible allocation of existing money; maximizing value, you might say. Over on this side of the state, people love the guy. Swann has his work cut out, if he turns it into an east-west battle he'll lose.

Tom
Very good post, Tom. Lynn's stronghold is Western PA, Fat Eddie's is Philadelphia. Lynn is also doing well in the central part of the state and Erie, though heavily Democratic, is up for grabs at this point. I mentioned in another thread that because Philly is so predominantly African-American, Lynn has a half decent chance there of getting some crucial votes in Rendell's back yard. He's been out on the road every day and is going to put on a media blitz right before the election, which is a very smart tactic. Keep that name fresh in people's minds.

I worked with a State Treasurer candidate in 1988 who was down 36 points to her opponent the night before the general election. We never let her get down that night and we felt confident. On election day, she trounced him! You just never know what voters are going to do when they get behind that little curtain. What also bodes in Lynn's favor is that we currently have a Governor who really has done nothing in his 4 years in office. Pennsylvania has become stagnant in growth and it is time for a change, imho. A lot of Demos here in the Burgh are quite upset with Mr. Rendell because he is dragging his feet on the slots license and keeping the Pens here in town where they are beloved. It should be quite an interesting couple of weeks leading up to the election.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 08-19-2006, 11:06 AM   #30
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertLunatic
Being that person, I'd like to respond.

I don't know when this book was written. I do know that Swann was a likely cantidate long before he actually declared his cantidancy. If this book was written in the past 3 years, I maintain my position that it MAY have been politically motivated.

Let's look at the examples that you have given.

example 1

Who is thas Saylor fella? Or is it a Saylor gal?

example 2

I heard a story? Sorry, but "a story" isn't a reliable source. Mr Capula may be the most honest man on Earth, but he didn't claim (nor can he) that that "a story" is true.

example 3

"another story" is as reliable a source as "a story"

example 4

Is "a fan" related to "a story" and "another story"? Sorry, but I can't consider "a fan" to be a reliable source.

These claims may very well be true, but we should also consider the possibility of them being false. We all know that politicians are often liars. Often, a politician's supporters are also more than willing to lie in order to advance the cantidate of their choice.

Please understand that I am NOT saying that Jim O'brien lied when writing this book. I am, however, stating that the possibility exists that he did lie for political purposes. If you want to consider Swann a jerk based on what you've read in a book, that's your perogative. Personally, I'm sceptical of what I read, especially when the sources are "no first name Saylor", His or her cousin "a story", "A story's " brother "another story", and "another story's" illigitemit child "A friend"
Jim O'Brien has written many Steeler books...The one where I read the excerpts I posted was one of them. Am I to believe that this man has in one way or another covered the Steelers for many years...just to have a political agenda vs Lynn Swann? And as far as my opinion of Swann...it's personal experiences, yes plural, that have formed this opinion. Before you open your mouth, maybe you should establish the facts. Read ALL the information.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote