Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,491 Times in 3,334 Posts
Default Trib-Review Ranks Steelers SB Winners - 78 Team #1

Which was the best of the Steelers’ Super Bowl teams?

For at least one more week, the Steelers remain the only team to produce six Super Bowl winners — the 49ers could tie them next week — but it is their 1978 squad that stands above the others.

That 1978 team, which started the season with a seven-game winning streak, finished 14-2 and seemingly had a future Hall of Famer at every other position, was voted as the super team of those six Steelers Super Bowl winners by a panel of national and local journalists assembled by the Tribune-Review.

The ’78 Steelers, who rebounded from the worst season of the Super Bowl run (a 9-5 record in 1977) to win the first of successive NFL titles, received nine of the 15 first-place votes. Only the ’75 Steelers, who also beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowl, received more than one first-place vote; they earned four.

The 1979 and ’74 teams received the other two first-place votes.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2J1vkK1AK

IMO the 1975 team was superior because the defense was at its peak, Franco was younger, and the passing game was there when necessary (Swann had 11 TDs) - main argument for the 78 team was it rolled through the playoffs while the 75 team was not playing its best in the post-season (although the D had 7 sacks and 3 INTs in the Super Bowl)
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,948 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Trib-Review Ranks Steelers SB Winners - 78 Team #1

i have to agree with the article and I always feel that for them to go on another 2 consecutive title run after already being accomplished speaks volumes to the character of that team - that was the start of Bradshaw rounding into form

I'd have to put the SB teams in this order

6. XL
5. IX
4. XLIII
3. XIV
2. X
1. XIII

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

It's funny how much I love the Steelers I still have not seen a single game from the Bradshaw era. It was before my time but iI always wanted to watch those games
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,948 Posts
My Mood: Fine

what's odd for me anyways, is that I go back and watch those 70s SB runs, and Bradshaw, especially in the XIII and XIV runs remind me, extremely remind me, of Tom Brady and the dangerous down field connection he had with Moss. If you gave Brady a duo of talents like Swann and Stallworth - we would be talking 6 SB rings for Brady- he would have had the downfield threats who weren't afraid to catch in traffic. Imagine Stallworth, Swann, Welker Gronk, Hernandez all at their peak - that thought is scary.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 1,956 Times in 886 Posts

I notice the old school Steelers' team philosophy was 'try' to win every game during the regular season, and then 'try' to win every game in the post season (aka what 'Dynasties' have always done). Not contemporary Steelers teams, it's; "don't even begin to play hard until the middle of the season, barely make the playoffs, and then play the best you can in the playoffs. Unfortunately, this current group of Steelers does not even possess the ability to perform the later strategy anymore.

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
I notice the old school Steelers' team philosophy was 'try' to win every game during the regular season, and then 'try' to win every game in the post season (aka what 'Dynasties' have always done). Not contemporary Steelers teams, it's; "don't even begin to play hard until the middle of the season, barely make the playoffs, and then play the best you can in the playoffs. Unfortunately, this current group of Steelers does not even possess the ability to perform the later strategy anymore.
The worst we've started under Tomlin "halfway" through. Season is 5-3, 4 of his 5 years we've been 6-2, you think we're winning those games by virtue of forfeit?

I seriously doubt the team has a strategy to not win every game
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
The worst we've started under Tomlin "halfway" through. Season is 5-3, 4 of his 5 years we've been 6-2, you think we're winning those games by virtue of forfeit?

I seriously doubt the team has a strategy to not win every game
But the current team has a history of playing down to the level of its competition and losing to inferior teams

On the other hand, the former Sports Illustrated NFL writer Paul Zimmerman (aka Dr. Z) noted how the 1970s Steelers handled inferior competition:

You want to know what is meant by "a dynasty?" Try this statistic, which I think I must have mentioned triple-figure times: During the period of the Steelers' playoff run of the '70s, 1972 through '79, their record against teams that eventually finished the season below .500 was -- get ready -- 50-1. They simply did not lose to the bad teams. They were bullies, tough guys. A dynasty.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ins...1/drz_mailbag/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
BKAnthem (01-28-2013), Lady Steel (01-27-2013), SteelerEmpire (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
It's funny how much I love the Steelers I still have not seen a single game from the Bradshaw era. It was before my time but iI always wanted to watch those games
Here is the full broadcast of Super Bowl XIII

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4N-FlDmqJg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (01-28-2013), BKAnthem (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,553 Times in 2,784 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

those past teams were great but i think the 2005 would give any of them a fight.

our offense was pretty nasty to deal with, having BR/hines/bettis, and with troy p / harrison in their prime on defense. who knows maybe they'd even be able to beat the 78/79 teams
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
those past teams were great but i think the 2005 would give any of them a fight.

our offense was pretty nasty to deal with, having BR/hines/bettis, and with troy p / harrison in their prime on defense. who knows maybe they'd even be able to beat the 78/79 teams
IMO the 70s teams would have trouble without being able to bump and run receivers but still would have shut down Bettis and Parker

OTOH I can only imagine what Bradshaw, Swann, and Stallworth would have done under the current rules

Because we know the passing game was so good once the rules loosened up that 70s team still is superior to the second generation of multiple SB Steelers teams