Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #21
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784
Default Re: Cowher persuades porter to report to camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
From the Reebok site with the 40% off coupon that was posted on Tuesday. I got my shipping confirmation via email this morning. With S & H - $42.19! Can't wait to wear it!

Are those rhinestones sewn on those numbers???? Oh, that's got to be mine!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:21 AM   #22
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

And here I sit with my stupid authentic black home jerseys......
Old 08-18-2006, 09:23 AM   #23
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

It just seems after one story ends, another one pops up. Ben and the accident. Cowher and the contract situation. Santonio Holmes and his legal problems. Joey Porter and his contract situation.

Horrible timing on Porter's part in my opinion. This quote "I didn't have to come out here and be nice to anybody." kind of leads me to believe that Joey's intentions were not to take the heat off of Cowher and his contract situation but to make it a point that he's not very happy with his current contract situation; Will this effect his play on the field? Who knows for sure?

My main point here, what was the point? You know your not going to get an extension from the Rooney's when you still have two years left on your contract in which you will be paid $3.85 million this year and $5 million next season (including a $1 million roster bonus); Harrison waiting in the wings and other/larger contract situations coming up in the near future.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-18-2006 at 09:31 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:24 AM   #24
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNGold203
And here I sit with my stupid authentic black home jerseys......
Don't worry BNG203, I will buy you one for your B-day.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-18-2006 at 09:32 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #25
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Also.......some thoughts and points;

The deal Porter signed in 2002 was a good one for the team, but not awful for him. It's worth noting the market has moved considerably since then. Here's a history of franchise and transition tags, 1997-2006. Presently, LB is the 3rd high position, behind QB and DE, tho that changes year to year:

http://home.comcast.net/~tdgryn/fra...nsition9704.txt

Porter outplayed his deal in 2002 and, maybe, last year. However, he didn't have a great 2004 season, and, on the field, was less than ordinary in 2003 (although it was extraordinary he managed to come back from a gunshot wound). I doubt he discounted his service then, or gave back his check for that Cleveland game, 2004, when he got tossed. So. it's a push, more or less.

That's the way it is, that's the way it goes. Ray Lewis has gotten huge money for missing vast parts of 2 of the past 4 years while Tedy Bruschi led a couple SB defenses when playing for ~ 1.4M/season. In the LB market, like CB, compensation has been only lightly tied to value on the field.

I'm a Porter fan. IMO, he's the best of the Steeler LB, on point on the run or on man v. the pass. He's not an elite pass rusher but those are rare among LB. However, he's 29 and he's not gonna get Contract 3, not from me anyway. That said: the PS are up against it at that spot. Haggans is older than Porter, Harrison just a year younger and no one knows squat about Frazier (heard good things, but not proven) and the rest.

Looks like Joe will be ready to rumble for cash after this season. Trouble then for the PS FO, if, as i believe, they've got nuthin' in the pipeline. They could delay the inevitable, extending Porter for a season or two (not my choice), ala the deal they did last winter with Hartings. However, that'll be a rich deal, extending thru the period when TP and Ben will get re-done (we hope) and when the PS have decisions about the Smith Bros., Haggans, Faneca, etc...

LB is downlist among positions where players do well in C$3.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #26
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,765 Times in 4,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
It just seems after one story ends, another one pops up. Ben and the accident. Cowher and the contract situation. Santonio Holmes and his legal problems. Joey Porter and his contract situation.

Horrible timing on Porter's part in my opinion. This quote "I didn't have to come out here and be nice to anybody." kind of leads me to believe that Joey's intentions were not to take the heat off of Cowher and his contract situation but to make it a point that he's not very happy with contract situation. Will this effect his play on the field? Who knows for sure?

My main point here, what was the point? You know your not going to get an extension from the Rooney's when you still have two years left on your contract in which you will be paid $3.85 million this year and $5 million next season (including a $1 million roster bonus). You also have Harrison waiting in the wings and other/larger contract situations coming up in the near future.
i think sometimes joeys mouth dont follow his intentions. his point seems to be, "yeah im unhappy but im still showing up to play and im not being an ******* about it" in trying to express this maybe hes coming off as an *******.

joeys smarter than hes given credit for. he knows hes a lame duck this season. id be put off too. he wants to be a part of the next steelers dynasty. and whos gonna tell porter to zip his lip or when is a good time to speak his mind? its just joey being joey.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #27
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl
Are those rhinestones sewn on those numbers???? Oh, that's got to be mine!
Yep they sure are! The person who spills beer on that jersey is going to have a can of whoop ass opened up on them - LOL!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #28
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

So the point of Joey opening his mouth at this point in time was to let us all know he's not happy with his contract even though he still has two years left on his current contract (in which he is getting paid fairly nice) and that he's going to man up and play through it?

Okie dokie......

I still don't agree with it. But like you said, "Joey being Joey". Here's to hoping "Joey being Joey" doesn't effect Joey's play on the field this season.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #29
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
So the point of Joey opening his mouth at this point in time was to let us all know he's not happy with his contract even though he still has two years left on his current contract (in which he is getting paid fairly nice) and that he's going to man up and play through it?

Okie dokie......

I still don't agree with it. But like you said, "Joey being Joey". Here's to hoping "Joey being Joey" doesn't effect Joey's play on the field this season.

Yeah I had to man up and go to work today cause if I sit out trying to get more money they will fire my ass

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #30
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL
Yeah I had to man up and go to work today cause if I sit out trying to get more money they will fire my ass
Beautiful.