Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713
Default Free Agent Possibilities?

I looked through the lists on Rotoworld/NBC Sports and tried to be realistic about guys who would be affordable. As you look at the guys Ive listed, outside of the running backs I have listed guys who have not met expectatiins but perhaos could fit into Pittsburgh.

Matt Moore

In no world is Matt Moore a premier starting QB, everyone knows that. But he has proven his worth as a backup, Specifically as someone who can win in the short term role.

Felix Jones
Shonn Greene
Peyton Hillis

Of the 3, I would say Greene would be most realistic but Colbert did suggest that Running Back may be a place they look yo Free Agency. That wouldnt mean we don't draft one. Peyton Hillis I think might be the most expensive of the bunch. Greene seems to have a good head on his shoulders but he got caught up in the circus in NY. He is a bruiser who had a pretty good season. Jones...he is a returner and a speedy guy, a multi purpose bqck if you will.

Steve Smith(Stl)
Lee Evans

Lee Evans is older, but couod still be a decent option, might come cheap. Steve Smith was great in NY, hasnt done much since, could come cheap and might be able to provide reliable depth.

Jeff Otah

To say he has been a disappointment would be an understatement. For that reason he will come cheap. Worst case scenario he would be a training camp body. Overall he is low risk/high reward.

[b]Chilo Rachal[b]

Havent really kept uo with him but I also don't recall hearing much if him. My guess, another low risk/high reward.

Amobi Okoye

If there is one thing this kid has, its heart and that is something Pittsburgh can work with. He isnt untalented but he also hasnt met expectations. Perhaos the staff in Pittsburgh could turn him around. Very low risk/extremely high potential reward

Brandon Siler

He has had flashes of the high level play but overall is a depth guy(not sure which scheme he plays in). If he fits in our scheme, there is almost no risk involved.

Quentin Groves

Of all the recent Day one picks this guy has got to be one of the biggest disappointments out there. I cant see anyone offering him a huge payoff and it is a guy I thought might fit here when he was drafted. Another low risk/high reward player.

Chris Carr

Carr is a guy the Steelers have gone after in the last few offseasons they just havent been able to get him. I think this is the year.

Looking forward to your thoughts and hey, if I overlooked someone, lets hear about it.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: Free Agent Possibilities?

Nobody on this list screams "difference maker." However, that's not unusual for an off season signing by the Steelers.

I guess Matt Moore would be an adequate back-up. Although, to be honest, I'm thoroughly intrigued by the Offense du jour - the Pistol. I'd like to see us draft an athletic QB that has the potential to run this type of offense, a la Kaepernick - if such a player exists in this draft. Give him a few plays here and there. Keep the D honest. It's truly a difficult offense to defend and appears to have some staying power.

Not a big fan of the RB list. Here again, I think we need a dynamic type player. A guy that can get to the edge, turn, and burn. Felix Jones may fit that bill, but at what cost? There are a hundred college guys that have potential to make that sort of impact. No need to overpay a vet here. Draft.

Receiver? Again, not a fan of this list. I think Cotchery deserves more PT and can fill the possession receiver shoes quite well. I believe the team will be looking for speed. Young speed. College, young speed.

If the Steelers reach into the FA pot, it will likely be to fill back-up depth needs. QB, OL, LB, and S/CB come to mind. Much is determined by whether or not they bring back Keenan Lewis. If not, it's possible we see a splash at CB into Free Agency. There again, not likely a big name, but someone to provide a safety net should Cortez Allen, Victorian, and Brown all fail.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
wwhickok
Starter

Thanks Reign, good points on the RB position. When I looked at the WR list, I wasnt that impressed either, those are about the only two guys I could bring myself to suggest.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

I think I seen WR Ramses Barden is a free agent from Giants ... I think he would be a good big body receiver, as he did good when he was called upon this year

If the price was right of course ... Giants might want to keep him though
cbrunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,142 Times in 1,162 Posts

I'm all for Cotchery, but have you noticed that he is NEVER wide open?

The guy is slow. Hines with his bad knees would bury him in the 40. Cotch is our offense's version of Ryan Munday. Great guys, alway prepared, they know exactly what is going on, but lack the top end speed to be effective.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Steven Jackson RB from the Rams.

Give him 2 yr - $6million contract. He can carry the load.
Steelers>NFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
wwhickok
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
Steven Jackson RB from the Rams.

Give him 2 yr - $6million contract. He can carry the load.
Wasn't a certain former Steeler a Ram? Just saying.

I actually think that is a real possibility. Colbert really did make it sound as though they would be open to signing a significant FA RB. Does it get any more significant?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,970 Times in 2,352 Posts
My Mood: Fine

me thinks Steven Jackson would have to be paid more than AB.

2 year 6 mill is a #3 WR contract
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,142 Times in 1,162 Posts

Jerome wasn't on the other side of 30 when we traded for him. Frankly, we need to get our oline up, functional, and healthy. When you got that going for you, runners look a whole lot better.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
wwhickok
Starter

Fury/Dave; good points, youre not wrong.