Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #121
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,338
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 4,012
Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,803 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
If Bettis signature play is running over a linebacker, you are making my point. that may be his most famous play but was insignificant for hall of fame reasons.
What does a signature HOF-worthy RB play look like then?
Does it involve juking, spinning, diving, or a long run?

What was Franco's signature HOF play outside of the immaculate reception - which pretty much is a once in a millenium type miracle play that any of the other HOF RBs never made? What was his signature move/play when running the ball?
__________________

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #122
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter
 
teegre's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 13,523
Member Number: 24108
Thanks: 17,906
Thanked 19,000 Times in 8,016 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
If Bettis signature play is running over a linebacker, you are making my point. that may be his most famous play but was insignificant for hall of fame reasons.
Insignificant? That was a play-off* game.

*If the Steelers lose that game, the season was over. In the biggest moment, he scored the touchdown... which sparked an eight-game winning streak (in which, every week, they HAD to win).

What was Barry Sanders' signature play? What was LaDainian's? Please, enlighten us on what a signature play should look like.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #123
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,934
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 48,887
Thanked 8,192 Times in 3,455 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Insignificant? That was a play-off* game.

*If the Steelers lose that game, the season was over. In the biggest moment, he scored the touchdown... which sparked an eight-game winning streak (in which, every week, they HAD to win).

What was Barry Sanders' signature play? What was LaDainian's? Please, enlighten us on what a signature play should look like.
Not to mention that this is just one person's viewpoint. A player doesn't in fact NEED a signature play to get into the HOF.

Just because he doesn't want to accept this as a great play doesn't make him right.
__________________
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #124
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Insignificant? That was a play-off* game.

*If the Steelers lose that game, the season was over. In the biggest moment, he scored the touchdown... which sparked an eight-game winning streak (in which, every week, they HAD to win).

What was Barry Sanders' signature play? What was LaDainian's? Please, enlighten us on what a signature play should look like.
Ok, here's is now I look at it.

Barry Sanders running style which was never seen before or since was his signature

LT was one of the best scoring running backs in the league, hence having the single season rushing TD at one point

Emmitt Smith had his game he played with his sperated shoulder not to mention rings and the title

Hines ward was his blocking

Terrell davis was his 2000 yard season

see where I am going? Signature play, more like signature on the NFL

See where I am going. Bettis was a power back, he didnt revolutionize anything. he is not even the BEST power back of all time. He may be in the top 5 but he is not the best at anything. Barry Word ran over line backers is he a hall of famer? Look what MJD did to Merriman as a small RB, is that really a signatire play?

To say that one running play, in the snow on a bad trackion field where Urlacher didnt hit him head on with a full head of steam is Bettis claim to fame is nuts.

his signature play was the fumble vs the Colts.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #125
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
Not to mention that this is just one person's viewpoint. A player doesn't in fact NEED a signature play to get into the HOF.

Just because he doesn't want to accept this as a great play doesn't make him right.
so that one under 10 yeard play defined his career? sad if so.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #126
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,934
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 48,887
Thanked 8,192 Times in 3,455 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
so that one under 10 yeard play defined his career? sad if so.
I never said it defines his career. You're the one who insists that there must be one single play that make's a player's career. I don't agree with you that a player needs a signature play.

I do think dismissing that play is ignoring a major moment in his career though.
__________________
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #127
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,338
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 4,012
Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,803 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Ok, here's is now I look at it.

Barry Sanders running style which was never seen before or since was his signature

LT was one of the best scoring running backs in the league, hence having the single season rushing TD at one point

Emmitt Smith had his game he played with his sperated shoulder not to mention rings and the title

Hines ward was his blocking

Terrell davis was his 2000 yard season

see where I am going? Signature play, more like signature on the NFL

See where I am going. Bettis was a power back, he didnt revolutionize anything. he is not even the BEST power back of all time. He may be in the top 5 but he is not the best at anything. Barry Word ran over line backers is he a hall of famer? Look what MJD did to Merriman as a small RB, is that really a signatire play?

To say that one running play, in the snow on a bad trackion field where Urlacher didnt hit him head on with a full head of steam is Bettis claim to fame is nuts.

his signature play was the fumble vs the Colts.
Is Hines Ward a HOFer in your opinion and if so, why?
__________________

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #128
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
Is Hines Ward a HOFer in your opinion and if so, why?
Steelfury02, yes Hines Ward is a hall of famer.

1- best blocking WR of all time
2- revolutionized the WR position to where WR's are expected to be blockers rather than run deep to draw players away from the line. he wasnt a big wr so it made offenses realize it can be done with their wrs
3- a rule change was made based on his blocking.
4- 1000 catches
5- leading wr in many stats on a team with 2 hall of fame wrs
6- super bowl MVP
7- 2 time Super Bowl champion

keep in mind he did this on a predomitely running team with quarterbacks like Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Charlie Batch and Tommy Maddox. he was already putting solid pro bowl seasons before Big Ben.

negatives:

1- not flashy
2- never led the league in anything

UNlike bettis, he made an impact on the sport where bettis didnt.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #129
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,934
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 48,887
Thanked 8,192 Times in 3,455 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Steelfury02, yes Hines Ward is a hall of famer.

1- best blocking WR of all time
2- revolutionized the WR position to where WR's are expected to be blockers rather than run deep to draw players away from the line. he wasnt a big wr so it made offenses realize it can be done with their wrs
3- a rule change was made based on his blocking.
4- 1000 catches
5- leading wr in many stats on a team with 2 hall of fame wrs
6- super bowl MVP
7- 2 time Super Bowl champion

keep in mind he did this on a predomitely running team with quarterbacks like Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Charlie Batch and Tommy Maddox. he was already putting solid pro bowl seasons before Big Ben.

negatives:

1- not flashy
2- never led the league in anything

UNlike bettis, he made an impact on the sport where bettis didnt.
nice to see you're not completely insane

One reason he did so well early in his career was because he was working with a HOF running back.
__________________
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #130
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,338
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 4,012
Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,803 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Steelfury02, yes Hines Ward is a hall of famer.

1- best blocking WR of all time
2- revolutionized the WR position to where WR's are expected to be blockers rather than run deep to draw players away from the line. he wasnt a big wr so it made offenses realize it can be done with their wrs
3- a rule change was made based on his blocking.
4- 1000 catches
5- leading wr in many stats on a team with 2 hall of fame wrs
6- super bowl MVP
7- 2 time Super Bowl champion

keep in mind he did this on a predomitely running team with quarterbacks like Kordell Stewart, Kent Graham, Charlie Batch and Tommy Maddox. he was already putting solid pro bowl seasons before Big Ben.

negatives:

1- not flashy
2- never led the league in anything

UNlike bettis, he made an impact on the sport where bettis didnt.
ok - glad we agree - but - The Bus had another nickname - The Closer - something Bill Cowher called Bettis. When the Steelers needed to close out a 10 point lead, they simply handed the ball off, and we ate up yards and closed out games. Not too many guys could do that when defenses know its coming. He might not have been the first - but, there hasn't been anything like him since. He is the last of the big backs with that kind of impact on the outcome of a game. He had a larger impact on the outcome of a game than our QBs had.
__________________

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts