Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #61
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Again, are you ten years old? You don't have to be a pom-pom waving, drooling homer to be a fan of a team.

It's called "objectivity".

More people on this forum need to read this statement.
Terminator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #62
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
the fact that he made it to the next to last cut says the committee takes his career seriously - he will get in, just a matter of time

need to go back and watch some highlight reels. Anyone remember the days where you'd sit on the sofa and it was 3rd and short, 4th and short. Bettis lines up, everyone in the world knows Bettis is getting it. Defense is going right for him and every single Steeler fan could say with almost 100% certainty: "Oh yea, Jerome's got this" and not break a sweat. He really spoiled us in moving the chains. He was a special, special player. Only Steelers fans could appreciate his gritty style.

The Duce Staley argument is pretty much void - don't you remember him as Duce "Sweatpants" Staley. Staley had a huge hand in the emergence of Willie Parker. Staley - 3 years, 16 games with the Steelers. Hardly a usurper. Same with Amos - Zereoué rushed for 1,698 yards and seven touchdowns in his 4 season tenure. These guys were stop gap until Willie emerged. After that - we haven't had a dominant running game in 5+ seasons. Even when Mendy had 1100-1200 yards - it was in spurts.

We need a run game in the worst way. I'd take Willie Parker in the flat, and Jerome Bettis up the middle all day long.
again, you guys are getting too hung up on the 3rd and 1 runs. Shawn Alexander would break those for 40 yard tds. The Bus got the yard only. In that case Leroy Hoard is a hall fo Famer. No one was better than him getting a yard.

Remeber him?

" you need a yard I'll get you 3...You need 5 yards...I'll get you 3"

Classic
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #63
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,020 Times in 3,728 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

I think there's room for arguing stats, but in the end it comes down to how they played. And Bettis played his game for 13 seasons, which you want to say somehow makes him less of HOF worthy candidate.

Overall I just find your argument that he doesn't belong in the HOF as unacceptable.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #64
Steelers5895
Starter

he was on the path, his last 4 years he just kinda hung around and compiled stats. what impact he have his last 4 years?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #65
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

I respect that you have your own opinion of Bettis. I just don't find any of your arguments against him or your defining him as a "stat compiler" as acceptable reasons to say he isn't HOF worthy.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #66
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
Do people think that Steven Jackson is going to be a HOFer? I wonder.
If the Rams had stayed with Warner instead of going with Bulger then I think Jackson would have been a HOFer. 8 seasons in a row with 1000 yards is really impressive. Jackson has had a great career for a bad team and that won't get you into the hall.

Bettis will be a HOFer because he had a great career for a superbowl winning team. Bettis is a lock to get in at some point there is no possible way he does not get in... and that is looking at it objectively.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-04-2013), steelfury02 (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #67
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,651 Times in 934 Posts

For whatever it's worth, it is called the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Statisical Significance. Entry is not totaly governed by the numbers.

As much as I would like to see Jerome Bettis with a bust in Canton, IMO, he's a little lacking in the "Fame" quotient. Grant you, cool nicknames like "THE Bus",helps to get entry, but it still a subjective gauntlet you have to traverse to get there.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #68
Steelers5895
Starter

Too many our just looking at where he ranks wioth total yards but he has no other significant "stat" or " thing" that tells me he is immortal.

he didnt revolutionize the position. many before him like Campbell or Riggins were brusing backs.

he doesnt have a signature play (ala franco, ala Riggins in the Super Bowl, etc) , in fact his signature play is th fumble in the playoffs vs the Colts. Running over Urlacher is not a signature play

he never led the league in anything of significance

he was a back up or banged up for the last 4 years of his career

His one super bowl trip he was insignifcant

Cool nicknames dont count.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #69
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Too many our just looking at where he ranks wioth total yards but he has no other significant "stat" or " thing" that tells me he is immortal.

he didnt revolutionize the position. many before him like Campbell or Riggins were brusing backs.

he doesnt have a signature play (ala franco, ala Riggins in the Super Bowl, etc) , in fact his signature play is th fumble in the playoffs vs the Colts. Running over Urlacher is not a signature play

he never led the league in anything of significance

he was a back up or banged up for the last 4 years of his career

His one super bowl trip he was insignifcant

Cool nicknames dont count.
nice summary of your position, but it doesn't change a thing. Why do you have to be so disrespectful to Bettis by claiming his signature play is the fumble against the Colts? That's pretty poor.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #70
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,098 Times in 570 Posts

Bettis' last year was insignificant? So, the Steelers played like gang busters because they were playing for Big Ben? 2005 team played some of the most inspired ball I have ever seen, all in the name of getting The Bus home. By the way, when did insignificant mean scoring 12 TDs between regular season and playoffs? I'd say he was pretty significant considering he was in everyone's heart on that championship drive.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (02-04-2013)