Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #71
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,417
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 141
Thanked 792 Times in 306 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

The precedent has already been set - if Riggins is worthy of enshrinement, Bettis is more than worthy of it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #72
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
nice summary of your position, but it doesn't change a thing. Why do you have to be so disrespectful to Bettis by claiming his signature play is the fumble against the Colts? That's pretty poor.
what was his signature play then? its not being disrespectful just cant think of what makes him stand above his peers?

he will get in even though he, IMO, is not worthy.

his numbers will dwarf the current backs when they come up to eligibility because of the RBBC philosophy.

I just think of all years, this was the one, he had no other worthy back. In fact that could be why there was a 30 minute discussion about him.

we will agree to disagree. no point in going round and round. appreciated the debate.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steelers5895 For This Useful Post:
Terminator (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #73
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,836
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 46,439
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Bettis' last year was insignificant? So, the Steelers played like gang busters because they were playing for Big Ben? 2005 team played some of the most inspired ball I have ever seen, all in the name of getting The Bus home. By the way, when did insignificant mean scoring 12 TDs between regular season and playoffs? I'd say he was pretty significant considering he was in everyone's heart on that championship drive.
I agree completely with what you're saying. Very well said. He was a big part of why we went 15-1 the year before as well.
__________________
i'm not too happy with Sears right now, and on the 4th of July weekend.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #74
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
The precedence has already been set - if Riggins is worthy of enshrinement, Bettis is more than worthy of it.
Riggins carried his team in the super bowl. Bettis was carried in his.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #75
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,836
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 46,439
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
what was his signature play then? its not being disrespectful just cant think of what makes him stand above his peers?

he will get in even though he, IMO, is not worthy.

his numbers will dwarf the current backs when they come up to eligibility because of the RBBC philosophy.

I just think of all years, this was the one, he had no other worthy back. In fact that could be why there was a 30 minute discussion about him.

we will agree to disagree. no point in going round and round. appreciated the debate.

I respect that you have your own opinion about Bettis
__________________
i'm not too happy with Sears right now, and on the 4th of July weekend.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #76
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 17,417
Member Number: 1984
Thanks: 141
Thanked 792 Times in 306 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Riggins carried his team in the super bowl. Bettis was carried in his.
In a season that was cut in half by a strike. And he got completely stuffed and was rendered a non-factor by the Raiders in the SB the following year. And it's not Bettis' fault that he lost out on two potential SB trips because his QB sucked. 1st and goal at the Broncos 5 in the '97 AFCCG, Bettis running wild, and what does Cowher do? He puts it in Stewart's hands who promptly throws an interception into triple coverage in the endzone.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #77
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Bettis' last year was insignificant? So, the Steelers played like gang busters because they were playing for Big Ben? 2005 team played some of the most inspired ball I have ever seen, all in the name of getting The Bus home. By the way, when did insignificant mean scoring 12 TDs between regular season and playoffs? I'd say he was pretty significant considering he was in everyone's heart on that championship drive.
how does that enter in the hall of fame equation? he was inspirational?

That goes to what I am saying. Just becasue he was beloved and a great teammate and the fans love him doesnt make him an immortal player worthy of the hall of fame.

when people say HOF running backs, how many think Bettis? In fact I think Harris above him and he had 4k less yards.

We think brown, emmit, sayers, marcus allen, sanders on and on and on.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #78
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 534
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 157 Times in 100 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
In a season that was cut in half by a strike. And he got completely stuffed and was rendered a non-factor by the Raiders in the SB the following year.
throwing team that year. they were the highest scoring team of all time in 1983 from throwing. remember the smurfs? That stood until 1998 and the Vikings.
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #79
tanda10506
Team President
 
tanda10506's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Smoky Mountains, TN
Posts: 2,104
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17319
Thanks: 814
Thanked 366 Times in 206 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Jerome Bettis is the #6 rusher of All-time, and you need look no further than that. Hall of famer. He'll be in next.
This ^ pretty much ends the argument.
__________________
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tanda10506 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #80
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend
 
El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 8,850
Member Number: 8264
Thanks: 229
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
what was his signature play then? its not being disrespectful just cant think of what makes him stand above his peers?

he will get in even though he, IMO, is not worthy.

his numbers will dwarf the current backs when they come up to eligibility because of the RBBC philosophy.

I just think of all years, this was the one, he had no other worthy back. In fact that could be why there was a 30 minute discussion about him.

we will agree to disagree. no point in going round and round. appreciated the debate.
I think his signature play was running over Urlacher in his final season to start that incredible run to the Super Bowl XL title.

He never won a rushing title. He went to very few pro bowls that I know of. He was always a durable and reliable performer that put up total numbers without ever being considered one of the great RB's in his era.

I think it will take a while for him to get in, kind of like Art Monk. I can see your point and one could say the Hall is reserved for Greatness......not really good.
__________________
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts