Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #81
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steeltheone's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Harrisburg Pa.
Posts: 3,485
Gender: Male
Member Number: 6351
Thanks: 285
Thanked 388 Times in 231 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
In a season that was cut in half by a strike. And he got completely stuffed and was rendered a non-factor by the Raiders in the SB the following year. And it's not Bettis' fault that he lost out on two potential SB trips because his QB sucked. 1st and goal at the Broncos 5 in the '97 AFCCG, Bettis running wild, and what does Cowher do? He puts it in Stewart's hands who promptly throws an interception into triple coverage in the endzone.
I was at that game....Bettis could not be stopped. Gailey screwed up with not keeping it on the ground.
__________________
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Vince Lombardi
steeltheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #82
lloydwoodson
Head Coach
 
lloydwoodson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23495
Thanks: 708
Thanked 403 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

I think it is going to be harder and harder for Steelers to get into the HOF and Probowl. I feel like Roethlisberger and Timmons should have both gotten Probowl nods and instead of people sharing that opinion on this forum there were posts dedicated to trashing Mike Pouncey as not being worthy of Probowl recognition.

Pittsburgh is a small market town. Athletes who play there will get less recognition than athletes who play in larger markets like New York, Chicago or Los Angeles. If the fans don't get behind their teams and generate pressure to get these guys some recognition Bettis won't be the only one who doesn't get into the HOF.

Every argument made against Bettis could potentially be made against Ben and Hines. Ben does have his signature play in Superbowl 43 but I don't think anyone could say he revolutionized the game (Fran Tarkenton was the first scrambling quarterback and Steve Young comes to mind as another), or that he was the best at his position when he played. People are usually 50/50 on whether Ben is a top 5 quarterback right now and to me that doesn't say "immortal."

Hines is known as an overachiever. Hines had a great career without many of the assets of other great receivers like speed or size. Despite becoming the leading Steelers receiver of all time (Bettis would have been the Steelers leading rusher if he hadn't played 3 seasons for the Rams) Hines never was the best at his position and only made 4 Probowls to Bettis' 6.

If Steelers fans don't think their players are worthy of recognition then I don't see why anyone else should. The run of Steelers players making the HOF ends now. Feel free to criticize the current Steelers- none of them are getting into the HOF the bunch of bums because if you don't want them in the HOF/Probowl no one will.
__________________
Lloydwoodson's Top 5 Posters of All-Time:

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #83
Steelers5895
Starter
 
Steelers5895's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 543
Member Number: 23994
Thanks: 6
Thanked 165 Times in 105 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I think it is going to be harder and harder for Steelers to get into the HOF and Probowl. I feel like Roethlisberger and Timmons should have both gotten Probowl nods and instead of people sharing that opinion on this forum there were posts dedicated to trashing Mike Pouncey as not being worthy of Probowl recognition.

Pittsburgh is a small market town. Athletes who play there will get less recognition than athletes who play in larger markets like New York, Chicago or Los Angeles. If the fans don't get behind their teams and generate pressure to get these guys some recognition Bettis won't be the only one who doesn't get into the HOF.

Every argument made against Bettis could potentially be made against Ben and Hines. Ben does have his signature play in Superbowl 43 but I don't think anyone could say he revolutionized the game (Fran Tarkenton was the first scrambling quarterback and Steve Young comes to mind as another), or that he was the best at his position when he played. People are usually 50/50 on whether Ben is a top 5 quarterback right now and to me that doesn't say "immortal."

Hines is known as an overachiever. Hines had a great career without many of the assets of other great receivers like speed or size. Despite becoming the leading Steelers receiver of all time (Bettis would have been the Steelers leading rusher if he hadn't played 3 seasons for the Rams) Hines never was the best at his position and only made 4 Probowls to Bettis' 6.

If Steelers fans don't think their players are worthy of recognition then I don't see why anyone else should. The run of Steelers players making the HOF ends now. Feel free to criticize the current Steelers- none of them are getting into the HOF the bunch of bums because if you don't want them in the HOF/Probowl no one will.
Ward is a hall of famer but he will have an impossible time getting in. here is why he is a hall of famer.

1- best blocking wide receiver of all time
2- a rule change was put in place because of him

This is what I mean about signatire play/plays, etc- not that one block but the way he played made a rule change

3- got 1000 catches on a team that mostly ran the ball
4- 2 Time Super Bowl Champ
5- Super Bowl MVP
__________________
Win If You Can...Lose If You Must...But Always Cheat! Ken Patera
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #84
lloydwoodson
Head Coach
 
lloydwoodson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23495
Thanks: 708
Thanked 403 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Ward is a hall of famer but he will have an impossible time getting in. here is why he is a hall of famer.

1- best blocking wide receiver of all time
2- a rule change was put in place because of him

This is what I mean about signatire play/plays, etc- not that one block but the way he played made a rule change

3- got 1000 catches on a team that mostly ran the ball
4- 2 Time Super Bowl Champ
5- Super Bowl MVP
Wide receivers don't go into the HOF for blocking. There are 5 receivers with more catches that aren't in the HOF yet... what makes you think Hines is better or more deserving than them?

1- receivers don't go into the HOF for blocking centers do
2- Bettis had a rule put in place too- coin toss is now called before and not during the flip
3- got 13, 000 yards for teams that mostly ran the ball because they had an awesome running back
4- 1 time Superbowl champ- in his hometown Detroit- teammates declared they won it for him
5- Deion Branch, Santonio Holmes, Larry Brown, Desmond Howard should all go into the HOF too huh?

Bettis had a better career than Hines did. 6th leading rusher vs 8th leading receiver and Hines played longer. Bettis had more Probowl appearances and was a top 5 running back of his day behind only Emmitt, Barry and TD. Sorry Hines just doesn't say "immortal" to me.
__________________
Lloydwoodson's Top 5 Posters of All-Time:

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #85
dez09231
Bench Warmer
 
dez09231's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 214
Gender: Male
Member Number: 11142
Thanks: 3
Thanked 45 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Bettis was in the top 10 for voting this year. He'll be in within the next half decade.
dez09231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #86
lloydwoodson
Head Coach
 
lloydwoodson's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 1,537
Gender: Male
Member Number: 23495
Thanks: 708
Thanked 403 Times in 272 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by dez09231 View Post
Bettis was in the top 10 for voting this year. He'll be in within the next half decade.
I agree. There is no way Bettis does not get in. Hines and Ben will get in too but it will take them a long time. Only people that would disagree are fairweather or Ravens' fans.
__________________
Lloydwoodson's Top 5 Posters of All-Time:

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #87
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter
 
Bayz101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mansfield, Ohio
Posts: 8,178
Gender: Male
Member Number: 18856
Thanks: 1,911
Thanked 4,756 Times in 2,029 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I agree. There is no way Bettis does not get in. Hines and Ben will get in too but it will take them a long time. Only people that would disagree are fairweather or Ravens' fans.
At this point, I'd have to agree. Although another Super Bowl appearance for Ben would get him in sooner, and a win would possibly make him an immediate HOF selection. Thoughts?
__________________


"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #88
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 7,786
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 60,809
Thanked 10,338 Times in 4,143 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Another SB victory for Ben would put him in 1st round in my opinion. Ward should get in, I think even faster than Bettis with his catching abilities, blocking, 2 SB wins and 1 SB MVP.
__________________
OK, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called "two in a row". And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a "winning streak"... It has happened before!
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #89
kan_t
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,229
Member Number: 21653
Thanks: 317
Thanked 614 Times in 343 Posts
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
At this point, I'd have to agree. Although another Super Bowl appearance for Ben would get him in sooner, and a win would possibly make him an immediate HOF selection. Thoughts?
Another SB win will definitely make him a first ballot HOFer.

In regard to his HOF chance, at this stage he just needs to be Bettis - keeps piling up the stats.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #90
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 7,786
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 60,809
Thanked 10,338 Times in 4,143 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Bettis NOT a Hall of Famer- Here's Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
Another SB win will definitely make him a first ballot HOFer.

In regard to his HOF chance, at this stage he just needs to be Bettis - keeps piling up the stats.
you mean compiling

__________________
OK, we won a game yesterday. If we win today, it's called "two in a row". And if we win again tomorrow, it's called a "winning streak"... It has happened before!
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts