Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,579 Times in 5,191 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Kurt Warner: OC Todd Haley good for Big Ben

Warner: Coordinator Haley good for Big Ben

By Alan Robinson
Published: Saturday, February 2, 2013

NEW ORLEANS — Kurt Warner is offering friendly advice to Ben Roethlisberger.

Warner knows Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley's system better than anyone. He ran it for two productive seasons, one that ended with a last-minute Super Bowl loss to the Steelers. He knows what makes it go.

Warner believes Roethlisberger can make it as much his offense as Warner did. All he needs is trust, a sense of entitlement and some inquisitiveness.

While Roethlisberger never fully wrapped is arms around Haley's controlled passing offense the way he did Bruce Arians' down-the-field system, he was on pace for his best season until getting hurt nine games in. Neither Roethlisberger nor the Steelers (8-8) were the same again.

“And then we have all these questions: Can the offense work? Well, we saw earlier in the year, from an offensive standpoint and having success, it can definitely work,” said Warner, now an NFL Network analyst. “But just like any offense, you have to have players buy into what you're doing and why you're doing it.”

To Warner, that's where Roethlisberger needs to take a stand: This offense isn't being forced on me; it's my offense.

Unlike a Peyton Manning or an Andrew Luck, Roethlisberger isn't known as one whose handprints are all over the playbook. He will follow the game plan but, at times, prefers to rely on his instincts and improvisational ability.

“He came out at one point and said, ‘It's just a dink-and-dunk offense.' And maybe it is compared to what he had done,” Warner said. “But (he should ask), ‘Why are we doing this? How does this benefit me? How does this play to my strengths? If the offense didn't play to his strengths, I think it would be tough to ever buy in. But I do believe it plays to his strengths.”

Warner said the misconception is Haley's offense — at least his Steelers offense — de-emphasizes the deep throw.

“They can eliminate hits and then they can take chances down the field, which is what Ben is so good at,” Warner said. “(The short passes) eliminate the risk factor of him having to get hit over and over again. Not just the risk factor for Ben but the risk factor for the team that when Ben doesn't play, this team is a different team.”

Warner threw for 3,417 yards despite making only 11 starts in 2007, then went 401 of 598 — yes, almost 600 attempts — for 4,583 yards, 30 touchdowns and 14 interceptions in the 2008 Super Bowl season.

“I think Todd's offense can be a good fit for any quarterback. What I know about Todd is he has the ability to change the way he runs an offense,” Warner said. “When we were together, we threw the ball down the field a lot. But we complemented that with a lot of the short-passing game — and we were limited at our offensive line position.

“It was understood, ‘Hey, we can't just drop back seven steps and try to wing the ball down the field all the time. I think when he went to Pittsburgh, he said the same thing: ‘I can't let Ben get hit this much, he's too important to our football team. So we're going to manage it.' ”

http://triblive.com/sports/nfl/34066...#ixzz2Jo3TSd1M
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552
Default Re: Kurt Warner: OC Todd Haley good for Big Ben

I'll give Warner credit, for his experience,... And forced to "wing" it, .., definitely cost them the SB, when we played them, just ask Harrison -Hahaha.

I agree, Ben HAS to buy into Haley's Offense 100%, for his offense to follow, else his offense won't follow, and it'll be a catastrophy, just like it was the 2nd half of our past season.
I'm certain Ben knows that now, but thanks Kurt, for the next seasons reminder. - note to Ben.

As far as Ben and Peyton Manning being that different?, well, they have been similar this past season in some respects.
Namely, they both threw the game-losing INT's ! ;)
- and that thanfully, is now in the past.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kanata-Steeler For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,427 Times in 2,101 Posts
My Mood: Fine

i have faith that Ben is over things a little, is getting some down time as a new father - haha, "down time as a new father" - kinda doesn't exist! - I just think he'll be more aware than ever of what it will take moving forward - especially since he hasn't been this humbled since 06 Season.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,063 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Just get the system working or we're ****ed!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,454 Times in 3,111 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

ben was having a career season until he got injured, i've got faith in the system, shit just happens.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,502 Times in 667 Posts

I guess Haley's a decent coach, but it's not like he'll ever be Coach of the Year.

BTW, do you know who WAS voted Coach of the Year?

(yeah I know...but I just couldn't resist)
Old 02-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
I guess Haley's a decent coach, but it's not like he'll ever be Coach of the Year.

Yep, now Arians is in the company of some other all-time great coaches who share the same honor like Dick Jauron, Jim Haslett, Wayne Fontes and Marvin Lewis. In the words of Jim Mora (who also won the award) it means "diddly poo."

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
BKAnthem (02-03-2013)
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,261 Times in 4,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post

you know, I was waiting for that. And now that it's happened, I'd have to say I would have been disappointed if you hadn't posted that.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,261 Times in 4,117 Posts

I think Haley's offense can work, but a vital part to keeping Ben healthy is getting a dangerous RB. If we want Ben to stay healthy, the RB has to be part of the plan.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,502 Times in 667 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Yep, now Arians is in the company of some other all-time great coaches who share the same honor like Dick Jauron, Jim Haslett, Wayne Fontes and Marvin Lewis. In the words of Jim Mora (who also won the award) it means "diddly poo."
And one could also say he's in the company of Bill Walsh, Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick.

Whether that means "diddly poo" or "Holy Shit!" remains to be seen, but I'd say that career-wise, BA could have done a lot worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
you know, I was waiting for that. And now that it's happened, I'd have to say I would have been disappointed if you hadn't posted that.
Glad to oblige!