Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Still the UNDISPUTED Super Bowl All-Time Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Nope.

To me, it's annoying to hear. I'm honestly sick of it.

"We had a complete shit season and didn't even make the playoffs, but at least we have 6 championships spread over 80 years of team history!"

We just watched the Ravens win the fucking SuperBowl THIS YEAR. Who CARES what we did 40 years ago?
This is just some of the "objectivity" Terminator has been talking about. It is Orwellian douplespeak where "objectivity" has nothing to do with impartiality and everything to do with being a cover for being as negative as possible.

Despite making it to the final round of selections in his first year of eligibility Jerome Bettis is not worthy of the HOF

+

Despite going to the playoffs in 14 of the last 20 seasons, and winning 2 out of 4 superbowls the Steelers haven't been good for 40 years

=

Objectivity.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #22
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,236 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I disagree only because of the historical pucker factor that Joe had against the Steelers in playoff and big games. Its about matchups, we matchup bad against the Patriots but matchup very well against the Ravens. Losing Heath would have been hard to overcome, but I wouldnt be scared of the Ravens in the playoffs. Playing in Denver without Clark would have had me more concerned. Not saying we could have won it all this year as we were set up, but I dont think the Ravens would have beaten us in the playoffs. They lost to us with Batch. Pschologically, that would have counted for something. They beat the Pats, the Pats beat us, but we beat the Ravens. Matchups.
If we hypothetically make it to the playoffs at 9-7 with no Heath, I say we hypothetically lose. They have been the better team overall for the past two seasons. They got healthy and hot at the right time. Momentum and health just as important. Based on what I saw - a Ravens team that went into Denver and New England, and just outgunned the 49ers, I still say this version of the Steelers loses. Previous Matchups don't matter much to me - if they did, I would say we had zero chance to ever beat the Patriots - even though we eventually did 2 seasons ago. Eventually, the Ravens could beat us in the playoffs, and I believe they would have this season. Just like they eventually could take the division, and they have.

That said, I believe we have a great shot at taking it back now that the pressure is squarely on them.

I'VE GOT SOME YOUTHFUL ADJUSTMENTS FOR 'DAT AZZ
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
If we hypothetically make it to the playoffs at 9-7 with no Heath, I say we hypothetically lose. They have been the better team overall for the past two seasons. They got healthy and hot at the right time. Momentum and health just as important. Based on what I saw - a Ravens team that went into Denver and New England, and just outgunned the 49ers, I still say this version of the Steelers loses. Previous Matchups don't matter much to me - if they did, I would say we had zero chance to ever beat the Patriots - even though we eventually did 2 seasons ago. Eventually, the Ravens could beat us in the playoffs, and I believe they would have this season. Just like they eventually could take the division, and they have.

That said, I believe we have a great shot at taking it back now that the pressure is squarely on them.
I have to agree. I give credit were credit is due and the Ravens were a much better team this year. Every season is different but this season the Ravens are world champions. They took a very hard road to the super bowl and Flacco shouldered the load, played like an elite QB thru the entire playoffs and won it all.

Hopefully the Steelers have a better team next year, Ben dosnt get hurt and play poorly at the end of the season and we win it all
Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
Terminator
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24492
Thanked 1,382 Times in 544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
This is just some of the "objectivity" Terminator has been talking about. It is Orwellian douplespeak where "objectivity" has nothing to do with impartiality and everything to do with being a cover for being as negative as possible.

Despite making it to the final round of selections in his first year of eligibility Jerome Bettis is not worthy of the HOF

+

Despite going to the playoffs in 14 of the last 20 seasons, and winning 2 out of 4 superbowls the Steelers haven't been good for 40 years

=

Objectivity.

Never said they haven't been good for 40 years.

What I am saying, is that what Pittsburgh did 40 years ago does not really matter today, in the grand scheme of things.

I see many Steelers fans constantly bring up the fact that our team has 6 SuperBowl rings to somehow validate themselves into believing the team is better than it really is. Hearing people bring up the "6 rings omg lol" argument this season makes me sick.

WE WERE TERRIBLE THIS YEAR. TERRIBLE.

Who cares that we won SuperBowls years ago? I care about RIGHT NOW. And right now we are sitting on an 8-8 garbage season with no playoff appearance and an uncertain future.

We last won a SuperBowl 4 years ago. Woopty doo. I guess that makes our 8-8 season not as bad as no SuperBowl appearance 4 years ago would.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,419 Times in 4,681 Posts

The Ravens won the Super Bowl after we had gone to three and won two. I don't understand why people are mad about this - they're going to have a hell'uva Super Bowl hangover, too. Losing Lewis, Eddy and Birk is going to leave a massive void in leadership on this roster and Flacco is going to be the new team captain? Yeah, I like my chances for us next year.

We don't have as many holes as people think. A legitimate OLB to play opposite Woodley, a healthy Woodley and for God sake a healthy Roethlisberger and we're a 12 - 4 / 13 - 3 team again. We just need to relax and see how this offseason goes. A healthy OLine is going to do wonders for us as well.

Stay positive, guys. They won a Super Bowl, great. They can have their one Super Bowl-appearance-per-decade and we'll take our 2 - 3 wins in the same time frame. Does that sound fair?
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #26
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,304 Times in 474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
We don't have as many holes as people think. A legitimate OLB to play opposite Woodley, a healthy Woodley and for God sake a healthy Roethlisberger and we're a 12 - 4 / 13 - 3 team again. We just need to relax and see how this offseason goes. A healthy OLine is going to do wonders for us as well.
Exactly. We were 6-3, on a 4-game winning streak and Roethlisberger was firmly in the discussion for league MVP and off to the best start of a season in his career when Tamba Hali and Justin Houston landed on top of him. That's where the season went off the rails. However, it is imperative that the Steelers get a competent backup QB as Lefty and Batch can't cut it anymore.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,165 Times in 1,475 Posts

We are picking #17 in the draft and SF was just a handfull of jersey away from winning another title. We got no reason to thump our chests.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #28
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

As it stands, the Niners are in better position to win 7 before we do, not just 6. This isn't like in 2009 where we will just bounce back. The Steeler way was still instilled in nearly every player on the field in 2009 and the vets weren't at the end of their careers. Now they are at the end and playing well under what we need from them, there are only a few backups that are starting quality (and even that's debatable), and nobody seems to have any heart. I'm not saying we're down for the count, and even if we are it won't be for more then a season or two, but let's stop acting like this team that under performed 2 years in a row with a bunch of players that are about to retire, is ready to do what they couldn't do these last two years.

As for the 6 ring argument, I definitely like that we still have that argument, but it is getting kind of worn out. I'm proud of what the 70's teams accomplished and even more so with the 2006 and 2008 teams (since I actually watched them play), but we're currently a LONG way from fielding a championship caliber team.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
The_Joker
Living Legend

Member Number: 24540
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
But we're currently a LONG way from fielding a championship caliber team.
Proof?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #30
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,304 Times in 474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
I'm proud of what the 70's teams accomplished and even more so with the 2006 and 2008 teams (since I actually watched them play), but we're currently a LONG way from fielding a championship caliber team.
Disagree, especially when it can be argued that the Ravens' entire season turned on a 4th-and-29 play and they lost 4 of their last 5 games.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote