Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 AM   #91
jb500ex
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24020
Default Re: Big Ben vs Joe Flacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Depends on his stats. If he plays three more years and has the same stats as this year, projected to 16 games a year, he's a lock.

That will put him over 40K yards with 3 SB appearances and 2 rings.
Wrong with the numbers qbs put up now he won't make it especially with the lack of scoring he's done and the fact he missed the playoffs with the number 1 defense. He started his career off well on his way and he's gotten worse as he gets older that would hurt him unless he gets back to winning. His playoff numbers are no longer good so you can't even use the he's good in the playoffs any longer. Mark Sanchez has numbers far better the Ben in the playoffs
jb500ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #92
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb500ex View Post
Wrong with the numbers qbs put up now he won't make it especially with the lack of scoring he's done and the fact he missed the playoffs with the number 1 defense. He started his career off well on his way and he's gotten worse as he gets older that would hurt him unless he gets back to winning. His playoff numbers are no longer good so you can't even use the he's good in the playoffs any longer. Mark Sanchez has numbers far better the Ben in the playoffs
Actually passing numbers are not that important when the voters try to decide which QB is a HOFer. SB wins, MVP and QB win record count much more. For example, QB with 100 wins are all HOFers or future HOFers. Ben right now sits at 87 wins.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #93
JeromeBetties63
Starter

Member Number: 19049

Wake up people...seriously...wake up. Ben is a winner. I don't care if you like "intangibles" or not. There are guys who win big games (Big Ben) and guys who don't (Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, etc.). There are a lot of "stat" guys who can't match Ben for intangibles. No, he doesn't look pretty doing it...WHO CARES?

This guy won as a rookie...he has led the team to 3 Super Bowls in ten years. No, he didn't play great in the Super Bowls, but he was the key to the AZ victory and without him, we don't get there for the other two. Anyone remember the long drought? Why? No QB, thats why. No Big Ben. Seriously....WAKE THE HECK UP.

He has won and won and won with a MASH Unit for an O line...with no running game some seasons...with receivers who dropped the ball...Yes the D has been great at times but for the last 2 seasons they just never gave Ben short fields....that stuff adds up.

Ben was having a really good year until he got hurt. Honestly, I kinda blame the rest of the team for letting down in the Charger game and that sent us on a spiral out of the playoffs....but think about it. The rest of the team, the guys who play with him, thought, "Ben's back, we got this." Why? Because they know he is freaking good...thats why.

Finally, my thoughts on the latter part of this season. Honestly, Ben got married and became a dad. It appeared to me that he didn't have as much fire down the stretch. I think it is because he realized that there are more important things in life than self, fame and football. And guess what, while that sucks for football fans, he is right. Sure he gets paid big bucks to play the game so he should give it his all. You know what, I think next season could be his best. He will be used to Haley, he will be settled in as a dad, the spotlight will be on Flacco and the Ravens. He has something to prove again....Mark this post...barring injury, Ben will have great season in 2013 and lead the Steelers back to the playoffs with legit shot at the title.
JeromeBetties63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeromeBetties63 For This Useful Post:
BLACK_AND_YELLOW (02-05-2013), steelfury02 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #94
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,705 Times in 1,779 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Alright peeps.

What is more important to you as a Steelers fan? That they get recognition from other fan bases or that we have an enormously long list of players that contributed to the most SB victories of any franchise?

Was it you Lloyd talking about us saying our own legends don't deserve to be in the HOF, so why should anyone else think so? I think you have a point.

First things first though. Take a deep breath - quit worrying about what other fan bases and talking heads say, and enjoy them for what they are first - Pittsburgh Steelers with winning histories. The rest will take care of itself.

I've only read recently out of everyone what Ben could do with the line Flacco has enjoyed these playoffs. I've ragged on Ben and his need to up his game - but, remember where we were sitting at 5-3 after the Giants game? Now - imagine if we could at least keep that type of O-line going and they could all be healthy and gel in time for a run? It is possible - keep the faith. Ben is a HOF-QB. For every person saying the candidate doesn't have stats like X, there are people out there saying well, Marino doesn't have a ring but he is in. Ben will and deserves to get in.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #95
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeBetties63 View Post
Wake up people...seriously...wake up. Ben is a winner. I don't care if you like "intangibles" or not. There are guys who win big games (Big Ben) and guys who don't (Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, etc.). There are a lot of "stat" guys who can't match Ben for intangibles. No, he doesn't look pretty doing it...WHO CARES?

This guy won as a rookie...he has led the team to 3 Super Bowls in ten years. No, he didn't play great in the Super Bowls, but he was the key to the AZ victory and without him, we don't get there for the other two. Anyone remember the long drought? Why? No QB, thats why. No Big Ben. Seriously....WAKE THE HECK UP.

He has won and won and won with a MASH Unit for an O line...with no running game some seasons...with receivers who dropped the ball...Yes the D has been great at times but for the last 2 seasons they just never gave Ben short fields....that stuff adds up.

Ben was having a really good year until he got hurt. Honestly, I kinda blame the rest of the team for letting down in the Charger game and that sent us on a spiral out of the playoffs....but think about it. The rest of the team, the guys who play with him, thought, "Ben's back, we got this." Why? Because they know he is freaking good...thats why.

Finally, my thoughts on the latter part of this season. Honestly, Ben got married and became a dad. It appeared to me that he didn't have as much fire down the stretch. I think it is because he realized that there are more important things in life than self, fame and football. And guess what, while that sucks for football fans, he is right. Sure he gets paid big bucks to play the game so he should give it his all. You know what, I think next season could be his best. He will be used to Haley, he will be settled in as a dad, the spotlight will be on Flacco and the Ravens. He has something to prove again....Mark this post...barring injury, Ben will have great season in 2013 and lead the Steelers back to the playoffs with legit shot at the title.
I have it marked. Your last few sentences especially. There are plenty of things that go into the failures and successes of a season - you mention plenty of on and off field elements, all equally important. Ben has more motivation than he ever has - probably the most since the 06 season where he gutted it out. He has plenty to play for. Let's relax

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
The Following User Says Thank You to steelfury02 For This Useful Post:
JeromeBetties63 (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #96
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,475 Times in 537 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

One thing all you assholes who don't like Roethlisberger forget is that the surrounding talent on Joe Flacco's offense got better as he got better, while the surrounding talent on Roethlisberger's offense got worse as he got better. That does make a difference, especially in the playoffs.

By the way, Mark Sanchez also has a better playoff passer rating than Tom Brady, Peyton Manning and Eli Manning. Only an imbecile would care.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #97
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
One thing all you assholes who don't like Roethlisberger forget is that the surrounding talent on Joe Flacco's offense got better as he got better, while the surrounding talent on Roethlisberger's offense got worse as he got better.

By the way, Mark Sanchez also has better playoff numbers than Matt Ryan, Tony Romo and Philip Rivers. I guess he's better than them too, huh?
Mrs Smith, Gnutella called me an asshole.

Look into my eyes
SF Haters

Last edited by steelfury02; 02-05-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 02-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #98
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24551

I disagree with anybody who thinks that Roethlisberger is on the way down and out. He's still a top flight QB that plays at a high level. The Steelers need to focus on not getting him killed. Ben is tough as nails, but teams are exploiting the Steelers line and blowing him up. He's getting older, and he's not going to have the same ability to move around and ability to take hits that he used to. Look at the teams that made the Superbowl. Flacco barely got touched the whole playoffs against some fearsome pass rushes, and the Niners probably have the best blockers in the league.

As for Flacco, he's obviously the man right now. With his line and his playmakers, he had the best postseason by a QB that I've ever seen. If he pulls that level of play into the regular season, then he might just be the best guy at his position in the league. His playoff stats would extrapolate to over 4500 yards and 44 touchdowns and no picks, which would be the best performance by a QB ever. Now, I don't think that he can play at that insane level for a whole season, but I do think that Joe and Ben are roughly comparable at this point in their careers. There were plays that Joe made where I thought he looked a lot like Roethlisberger, but he's not taking the hits and has never missed a start.

Let's see what happens next year, after the Ravens are butchered by free agency. As close as they are to the cap and with as many guys that deserve to get paid, this is going to be a brutal offseason for them.
sw04ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #99
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

There is no comparison. Flacco is a turd. Wouldn't trade him for BB, so that's my assessment.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #100
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Lets compare the two QBs without actually comparing them, so to speak...

Flacco plays for a team that embraces modern day football. The Ravens don't cling to some outdated tradition that says they have to own time of possession or have balance on offense. They try to score and don't worry about how long it takes. For better or for worse, they unleash Flacco and let him go down field often - and it paid off this year. Flacco has receivers that make big plays. They'll go up and get a ball that isn't thrown with Brady-like precision. They aren't afraid to take a hit to make a play. The Ravens offense goes for 7 points, not 3. The Ravens defense isn't a stat defense. They take chances, they try to force turnovers so their offense can score more points. And if those chances don't pay off, they stiffen up in the red zone. The Ravens' special teams also helped them out quite a bit.

Ben plays for a team that wants to relive the past. The Steelers think it's more important to let tradition dictate strategy rather than talent. Time of possession is more important than scoring. Ben is reduced to a glorified game manager, just flipping the ball for a 3 yard gain. They go for 3 points, not 7. Of course, when that doesn't work, only then do they let Ben go because he has to bail the team out from its own stupidity. The Steelers defense is a stat defense. Good with yards, but doesn't make plays. Not enough sacks and even fewer turnovers. The few times a turnover happens, the offense doesn't go for the jugular because then they wouldn't possess the ball as long. The Steelers special teams is a complete joke and may have been the biggest negative on the team.

You can quote stats all you want, but if you actually watch the game instead of the box scores then there's no way in hell you can say the Steelers turned Ben loose.

It's not just the Ravens winning the super bowl that should be a slap in the face to the Steelers and their philosophies, but it should be the entire 2013 NFL playoffs. For better or worse those teams unleashed their best players and tried to score points, while the Steelers just try to grind out low scoring games because that's how it was done in granddaddy's day.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoFor7 For This Useful Post:
4G63 (02-06-2013)