Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #101
Blackout
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 20509
Default Re: Big Ben vs Joe Flacco

I think Jim Caldwell did pretty well in the playoffs.

"Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings
Blackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #102
GMU Steeler
Living Legend

Member Number: 16173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
I think Jim Caldwell did pretty well in the playoffs.
Flacco does well again next year and Caldwell may be looking at another HC gig. Really seems that Flacco started turning it on when they made Caldwell the OC and fired Cameron.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #103
jacobo
Team Captain

Member Number: 24766

Ben's a far better qb, Ravens are a better team with a MUCH better overall offense.
jacobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #104
zcoop
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Lets compare the two QBs without actually comparing them, so to speak...

Flacco plays for a team that embraces modern day football. The Ravens don't cling to some outdated tradition that says they have to own time of possession or have balance on offense. They try to score and don't worry about how long it takes. For better or for worse, they unleash Flacco and let him go down field often - and it paid off this year. Flacco has receivers that make big plays. They'll go up and get a ball that isn't thrown with Brady-like precision. They aren't afraid to take a hit to make a play. The Ravens offense goes for 7 points, not 3. The Ravens defense isn't a stat defense. They take chances, they try to force turnovers so their offense can score more points. And if those chances don't pay off, they stiffen up in the red zone. The Ravens' special teams also helped them out quite a bit.

Ben plays for a team that wants to relive the past. The Steelers think it's more important to let tradition dictate strategy rather than talent. Time of possession is more important than scoring. Ben is reduced to a glorified game manager, just flipping the ball for a 3 yard gain. They go for 3 points, not 7. Of course, when that doesn't work, only then do they let Ben go because he has to bail the team out from its own stupidity. The Steelers defense is a stat defense. Good with yards, but doesn't make plays. Not enough sacks and even fewer turnovers. The few times a turnover happens, the offense doesn't go for the jugular because then they wouldn't possess the ball as long. The Steelers special teams is a complete joke and may have been the biggest negative on the team.

You can quote stats all you want, but if you actually watch the game instead of the box scores then there's no way in hell you can say the Steelers turned Ben loose.

It's not just the Ravens winning the super bowl that should be a slap in the face to the Steelers and their philosophies, but it should be the entire 2013 NFL playoffs. For better or worse those teams unleashed their best players and tried to score points, while the Steelers just try to grind out low scoring games because that's how it was done in granddaddy's day.
Good post my man. You're right about the offense this year. We went to dink and dunk but expected to keep up with teams who were not affraid to sling it down the field. All of the teams that made it past the first round of the playoffs, threw the damn ball down the field. Trying to manage and control in today's game will not go very far.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #105
aa14
Banned

Member Number: 24529
My Mood: In Love

Ben probably only has two or three seasons left before he has to retire. Way too much wear and tear. He was once near the top of the league but I think it changes drastically next season. At this point due to age it is very easy to take Flacco. He will probbly win another one or two superbowls and I just don't see it happening with good old Ben.
aa14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #106
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 5,010 Times in 2,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Where do these two guys stack up against each other in the regular season and postseason?

Flacco's star appears to be on the rise, while Ben's seems to be on its way down. But wil a big SB win bring Joe back down to earth? Will he be as impressive in leading his team once Ray Lewis and Ed Reed are gone (I think not)?

I think this year's disappointment will be a good kick in the butt for Ben. But while we have been bashing Joe Flacco for years, has he silently become a viable postseason passer?

Discuss.
Did I miss something?

Has Balitmore beaten 'Burgh in the playoffs with Flacco?

Three of Flaccos' five W's vs. the Steelers have been against a QB other than Big Ben.

Flacco vs. BB : BB vs. Brady
NSMaster56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #107
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,684 Times in 984 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Lets compare the two QBs without actually comparing them, so to speak...
The comparison has nothing to do with team philosophy, and everything to do with the quality of weapons each QB has been given.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
TheVet (02-08-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #108
aa14
Banned

Member Number: 24529
My Mood: In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Did I miss something?

Three of Flaccos' five W's vs. the Steelers have been against a QB other than Big Ben.

The only thing that would have made the Ravens's ascent to the top sweeter would have been to dispose of the Steelers in the WC instead of Indy. Not the Ravens fault the Steelers couldn't make it to the dance though.
aa14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #109
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,684 Times in 984 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa14 View Post
The only thing that would have made the Ravens's ascent to the top sweeter would have been to dispose of the Steelers in the WC instead of Indy. Not the Ravens fault the Steelers couldn't make it to the dance though.
Considering the Ravens lost at home to a team QBed by Charlie Batch, it's no foregone conclusion that they would have beaten a team QBed by Roethlisberger, especially since the game would have been played eight weeks after his rib/shoulder injury. (It takes six weeks on average for such an injury to heal.)
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #110
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24551

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Did I miss something?

I don't really buy that line of thinking. That's like saying that Garrard is better than Ben because he has the advantage over Ben in their head-to-head playoff record. And beat him in Pittsburgh. Flacco had a legendary postseason, and now it's time for the Steelers to step up and show they've still got it.
sw04ca is offline   Reply With Quote