Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #141
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Big Ben vs Joe Flacco

That's nice and all that some fellow fan decided to blog on AOL that Ben is his hero and all but....

Why could we not score more than 27 points all season, except for a game that we lost to one of the league's worst? Whether we have been under Arians or Haley, this offense routinely lands around #20 at scoring-- which is the primary responsibility of the offense I thought.

There are such extremes around here! Some of you want to dump Ben at the first sign of trouble, and then there are the kool-aid drinkers that won't even acknowlege that a problem exists.
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #142
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,976 Times in 4,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcurtis View Post
I see it as a total lack of conditioning and coming to camp with more chins than a Chinese phonebook !
Ben isn't skinny, but he isn't a read option Quarterback. Part of his charm is the fact that he's hard to tackle and bring down thus he has amazing evasion.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #143
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,976 Times in 4,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Why could we not score more than 27 points all season, except for a game that we lost to one of the league's worst? Whether we have been under Arians or Haley, this offense routinely lands around #20 at scoring-- which is the primary responsibility of the offense I thought..
There's multiple reasons for this. Lack of turnovers for one. But, you don't need to score more than 27 points when you have the ball for 35 - 36 minutes / game. If our defense shows up next year in week 1 like they did in the back half of this year, we're going to be fine and we're going to be putting up points in Haley's offense.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #144
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24551

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Faulty comparison. Garrard was never a starter as long as either Ben nor Flacco. As such, he had a short track record of games vs. PIT (maybe four total).

Ben and Flacco are comparison worthy since they have both had immediate [playoff] success in their first five years (8-2 w/ two rings for Ben, 9-4 with one for Flacco) and both came up in traditionally 'defense first' teams.

Furthermore and most importantly, Ben and Flacco have had the last five years to face off twice a year (plus playoffs) and in that time their H2H record is:

Regular season: 4-2, Big Ben
Total: 6-2, Big Ben

Hence why a Ben/Brady comparison is valid, because [since 2004] Ben vs. Brady games have netted similar results in favor of Brady.

EDIT: Big Ben vs. Brady: 2-4 Reg. Season, 2-5 TOT
Garrard was a starter for 5 years. During that time he played the Steelers 3 times and beat them twice, including a playoff win. It's not exactly a storied rivalry, but it is a history. It illustrates why I don't think that David 'owns' Ben or the Steelers or anything like that.

At any rate, hopefully Ben can stay relatively intact this year so that he'll have the chance to show what he can do, because the last time he played against the Ravens was Flacco's last second drive for the win.
sw04ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #145
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
I said nothing about how Flacco performed vs. Big Ben in 2012-2013. I also said nothing about Flacco's last 4 games. Why are you making assumptions when I haven't voiced my opinion on those topics?
You're right. The only thing you voiced an opinion on is that people who (presumably) disagree with you are 'on the Ravens bandwagon'. It was probably a mistake on my part to respond to such an obvious troll post.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #146
sw04ca
Draft Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Ben isn't skinny, but he isn't a read option Quarterback. Part of his charm is the fact that he's hard to tackle and bring down thus he has amazing evasion.
No kidding. Ben's size and strength are a huge advantage in his game. How many times have we watched him outmuscle a defensive end trying to bring him down and launch a deep strike? His problem isn't his conditioning.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #147
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
That's nice and all that some fellow fan decided to blog on AOL that Ben is his hero and all but....

Why could we not score more than 27 points all season, except for a game that we lost to one of the league's worst? Whether we have been under Arians or Haley, this offense routinely lands around #20 at scoring-- which is the primary responsibility of the offense I thought.

There are such extremes around here! Some of you want to dump Ben at the first sign of trouble, and then there are the kool-aid drinkers that won't even acknowlege that a problem exists.
Might want to actually read the post I was responding to. It adds something called "context."
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:08 PM   #148
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,660 Times in 616 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Why could we not score more than 27 points all season, except for a game that we lost to one of the league's worst?
Because the Steelers had the third-fewest non-passing TDs of any team in the league. Only the Raiders and Jaguars had fewer.

The Steelers scored 36 TDs last year, which ranked 22nd in the NFL. Of those 36 TDs, 27 of them were passes. As a team, they ranked in the top 10 in TD passes (tied for 8th, to be specific), but in the bottom five in TD runs, defensive TDs and special teams TDs.

Quote:
Whether we have been under Arians or Haley, this offense routinely lands around #20 at scoring-- which is the primary responsibility of the offense I thought.
No, the team ranks around 20th in scoring, not just the offense. Let's do some math here: Ben Roethlisberger threw 26 TD passes in 12-and-a-half games. That's 2.08 TD passes per game. Multiply 2.08 by 16 and you get a number that rounds down to 33. In other words, Roethlisberger was on pace to throw 33 TD passes in 16 games. (Yes, I understand that he could have thrown fewer than 33 in 16 games, but he could have just as likely thrown more than 33.)

You know where 33 TD passes would rank among all NFL teams? 5th. Yes, Roethlisberger had the passing game on pace to score the fifth-most TDs in the NFL had he not been injured. When you consider that the Steelers only scored nine non-passing TDs all season (eight running, one defense, zero special teams), improving the TD pass tally from 26 to 33 would have only improved the Steelers to 15th in total TDs scored, despite ranking in the top five in TD passes.

The problem is that the Steelers aren't scoring enough by means other than the pass. The passing game is doing virtually all the work in terms of scoring TDs. It's time for the rest of the team to help out.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #149
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,650 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMaster56 View Post
Faulty comparison. Garrard was never a starter as long as either Ben nor Flacco. As such, he had a short track record of games vs. PIT (maybe four total).

Ben and Flacco are comparison worthy since they have both had immediate [playoff] success in their first five years (8-2 w/ two rings for Ben, 9-4 with one for Flacco) and both came up in traditionally 'defense first' teams.

Furthermore and most importantly, Ben and Flacco have had the last five years to face off twice a year (plus playoffs) and in that time their H2H record is:

Regular season: 4-2, Big Ben
Total: 6-2, Big Ben

Hence why a Ben/Brady comparison is valid, because [since 2004] Ben vs. Brady games have netted similar results in favor of Brady.

EDIT: Big Ben vs. Brady: 2-4 Reg. Season, 2-5 TOT
The problem with the Jags wasn't that Girard was that much better of a QB. The problem we had with Jaguars was a thing called zone blocking, which the Ravens have now adopted.

It's a weakness of LeBeau's defense, especially with Ziggy Hood and the ever so soft, Lamar Woodley in the line up. Woodley can't hold the egde, and Hood gets turned as easy as flapjacks on a griddle. Out ILBs get caught in the wash, and then there's nobody home to catch the cutback.
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #150
scottcurtis
Banned

Member Number: 24767

Tell me 2 QB's fatter then Ben ?
scottcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote