Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Cowher persuades porter to report to camp?

Cowher talk persuaded Porter to report to Steelers camp

Posted: Thursday Aug 17, 2006 8:17 PM

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) -Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter, unhappy with his contract situation, said Thursday he considered not showing up for the Pittsburgh Steelers' training camp until a long talk with coach Bill Cowher persuaded him to report.

Porter is signed through 2007, making $4 million in salary and a roster bonus this season and $5.2 million in salary plus roster and signing bonuses next year. But he said he deserves a reworked contract after helping lead the Steelers to their Super Bowl victory last season.

"I definitely feel that I have outplayed the contract that I am under,'' Porter said Thursday night in an interview with the NFL Network. "The whole city of Pittsburgh knows what I bring, coach Cowher knows what I bring. We had a talk and it was 'I need you.' I was unhappy. There was no use me lying about it.''

Porter said Cowher reassured him that the coach will remain with the team, though Porter did not say specifically if that meant until the end of the linebacker's contract. Cowher and the Steelers broke off their contract talks this week and, while also signed through 2007, Cowher has not said if he will return next year.

"He's one of the main reasons why I'm back here at camp,'' Porter said. "Contract-wise, I wasn't too happy with the situation that we're going into. But I talked to coach Cowher and, after me and him had our words, he said he's going to be here. So he had a big impact on me being here in camp this year.''

Porter missed some of the team's voluntary workouts last spring, apparently because of his contract situation. After that, he needed arthroscopic knee surgery in May and missed the rest of the workouts.

"I didn't have to come out here and be nice to anybody, but me having a talk with coach Cowher and the relationship we have, I feel like I can suck it in, even though I'm not happy with the contract,'' Porter said. "I'll go out there for coach Cowher and play like I know how to play and just put it all in God's hands and see what happens next year.''

Porter's 2007 salary terms are not salary cap-friendly to the Steelers - he would have a cap value of $6.6 million - and it is possible they will ask him to rework the deal. Porter apparently wanted to redo the contract this year, getting some of the money this season he was due next year.

Porter, a three-time Pro Bowl linebacker and one of the NFL's best-known defensive players, seemed surprised by the questions about his contract situation and declined to discuss it further with The Associated Press following the NFL Network interview.

"That's over with it, I'm here now and it's nothing I'm going to bring up or talk about,'' he said.

Porter also said the Steelers have been unaffected by the uncertainty created by Cowher's contract situation. The Steelers and Cowher announced Tuesday they have ended their talks, though the team hopes to revive them once the season ends.

However, Cowher has purchased a $2.5 million home in Raleigh, N.C., where his wife and youngest daughter apparently plan to live this season. That has created considerable speculation that Cowher will retire and not coach next season, even though, at age 50, he would be relatively young next year by NFL coaching standards.

"The team hasn't been affected at all. Most guys talk about it - 'What do you think? Do you think he's going to be here?,' " Porter said. "Coach Cowher is here now. Until we see otherwise, we're going to go out there and fight for coach like we always do. If something happens before the end of the season then we'll know, but, right now, coach Cowher is here and we're going to play like he's here.''
I-Want-Troy's-Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts
Default Re: Cowher persuades porter to report to camp?

wow! thers is so much to be said about this article. kudos to porter and to cowher.

maybe if porter is let go cowher walks???? ive always felt that cowhers 2 favorite players were bettis and porter. why do you think cowher didnt do anything to shut up porter when he was running his mouth? remember after last year when lebeau wanted to remove porter from the openning game and porter plead to cowher? cowher let him go back in.

i like to see the players willing to do the right thing and run through a brick wall for their coach regardless. thanks for not being a t.o. porter!
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

we're going to go out there and fight for coach like we always do.

God i love the Steelers.....
Old 08-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
wow! thers is so much to be said about this article. kudos to porter and to cowher.

maybe if porter is let go cowher walks???? ive always felt that cowhers 2 favorite players were bettis and porter. why do you think cowher didnt do anything to shut up porter when he was running his mouth? remember after last year when lebeau wanted to remove porter from the openning game and porter plead to cowher? cowher let him go back in.

i like to see the players willing to do the right thing and run through a brick wall for their coach regardless. thanks for not being a t.o. porter!
Agree. I really hope ART II is up to the job. Porter is more an Omar thing. But the Cowher deal is all on the Rooneys. It's the kind of soap opera I prefer to see on other teams.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:27 PM   #5
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Well, there is only so much money to pass around, and come next season if it is between Troy P., Joey and Ike. It's later Joey. Have a good time wasting your time on another team.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

I think Porter would be willing to take less money to stay with the steelers....Hes just that kind of player
Old 08-17-2006, 10:15 PM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

So I guess those contract rumors dealing with Porter were not so far off.

In my opinion this had nothing to do with Cowher saving the day or Porter giving in and doing what's right and good for the team. Not to sound cold, but bottomline in my book; It came down to Porter knowing he wasn't going to get jack shit from the Rooney's.

While I respect Joey Porter just as much as the next Steeler fan, I'm taking into consideration his age and our current and future contract situations. Joey Porter is not going to get an extension and he knows it, nor should he in my opinion.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-17-2006 at 10:30 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
So I guess those contract rumors dealing with Porter were not so far off.

In my opinion this had nothing to do with Cowher saving the day or Porter giving in and doing what's right and good for the team. Not to sound cold, but bottomline in my book; It came down to Porter knowing he wasn't going to get jack shit from the Rooney's.

While I respect Joey Porter just as much as the next Steeler fan, I'm taking into consideration his age and our current and future contract situations. Joey Porter is not going to get an extension and he knows it, nor should he in my opinion.
history says a player like harrison stays and porter goes. porter was harrison 5-6 years ago. too stay, porter will be asket to take a pay cut relative to his current salary. he is already unhappy with making so little. there are teams who will pay him big $$$ on the free market. the writing is on the wall and harrison is deserving of a starters spot.

Last edited by tony hipchest; 08-17-2006 at 10:53 PM.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
history says a player like harrison stays and porter goes. porter was harrison 5-6 years ago. too stay, porter will be asket to take a pay cut relative to his current salary. he is already unhappy with making so little. there are teams who will pay him big $$$ on the free market. the writing is on the wall and harrison is deserving of a starters spot.
I agree completely. That's why I really didn't see the point in Porter bringing up his complaint in the first place.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
Steelersfan4life0655
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2163

damn, if we let go of porter, there went 100 bucks on a jersey i spent last season..
Steelersfan4life0655 is offline   Reply With Quote