Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #121
OX1947
Living Legend
 
OX1947's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,560
Member Number: 723
Thanks: 136
Thanked 968 Times in 518 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

I cant wait for the 12th to get here so I can remove all memory of this clown off the steelers uniform.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #122
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter
 
Hawaii 5-0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Aloha State
Posts: 7,150
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24013
Thanks: 4,951
Thanked 6,864 Times in 2,978 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

By Dan Pompei | National Football Post

For the next week or so, the NFL will be a wide receiver world.

So many have wide receiver envy. Among the teams who could make wide receiver moves include the Dolphins, Vikings, Patriots, Browns, Steelers, Rams, 49ers, Bears and Jets.

Wide receivers are expected to be the stars of free agency, 2013. They already have been the stars, and free agency hasn’t even begun yet. The Chiefs coughed up a reported $56 million over five years to prevent up and down Dwayne Bowe from becoming a free agent. And the Dolphins paid Brian Hartline, who has had one 1,000 yard receiving season, an average of more than $6 million per year to keep him off the market.

“I think Brian could have gotten more money if he went to free agency,” his agent Drew Rosenhaus told me. “But he wanted to stay in Miami, so he was comfortable with it. There will be a couple of free agents paid a No. 1 receiver’s salary. A few will get No. 2 money. And a lot will get No. 3 and No. 4 receiver deals. We wanted to get to the top of No. 2 wide receiver salary tier with Brian.”

Mike Wallace: catch him if you can.

The Hartline and Bowe contracts were just warmup pitches. Other wide receivers with expiring contracts who are in line for paydays include Mike Wallace of the Steelers, Greg Jennings of the Packers, Wes Welker of the Patriots, Danny Amendola of the Rams and Brandon Gibson of the Rams. There even has been talk that restricted free agent Victor Cruz of the Giants will get some play. If he does, he could be the highest paid of all.

Otherwise, Wallace is likely to sign the biggest contract of any non-quarterback of the offseason. He is this year’s Mario Williams.

But that’s what gives some teams pause. Mario Williams didn’t exactly light up Buffalo last year. And there is a string of wide receivers who signed big money free agent deals who disappointed. The lastest is Robert Meacham. In previous years, there were T.J. Houshmanzadeh, Javon Walker and Alvin Harper.

And Wallace is likely to be highly overpaid. Those who should know speculate his new deal will average more than $13 million per season. “There is no Vincent Jackson this year,” a personnel director for an NFC team said. “Mike Wallace is more of an outside vertical guy, but he doesn’t go inside much. He isn’t real strong run after catch. He’s pretty good at comebacks and hitches because defenders play off him since they have to respect his speed.”

With wide, receivers, it’s always buyer beware. Free agency isn’t a sure-fire way to acquire a wideout, though it often is a more reliable way to land one than the high rounds of the draft.

There are a number of issues specific to wide receivers that increase the risk factor. Including:

*Receivers who fit well in one system don’t always fit well in another. They are not interchangeable parts.

“Some guys only can play inside,” said an AFC pro personnel director. “Some are only Xs. Some aren’t smart enough to learn all three positions, especially if they are in a new system.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfp-sun...3787--nfl.html
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #123
Fire Haley
Banned
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,359
Member Number: 763
Thanks: 53
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I'm surprised we haven't heard where he's going yet. .

We know what the talking heads are saying...



According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the "league-wide expectation" is that free agent Mike Wallace will sign with the Dolphins.


https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...80041578655744
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #124
TRH
Living Legend
 
TRH's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: eastern PA
Posts: 4,388
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17206
Thanks: 98
Thanked 222 Times in 155 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

i would be shocked if it wasn't the Dolphins. Not only are they front-runners and have made it clear they're going after him - Wallace himself has said he enjoys the warm weather.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #125
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,095
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 4,019
Thanked 7,207 Times in 3,113 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

Mike Wallace Reportedly Expected to Sign with Miami Dolphins

By
Alex Kay


Mike Wallace is one of the premier playmakers in the NFL, so it makes sense that the Miami Dolphins are going all-in to acquire the wide receiver’s services. In fact, it makes so much sense that it seems there is no one else even in the running for the free agent.

According to Ben Volin of The Palm Beach Post, Wallace to the Dolphins is now a “done deal,” even if the organization cannot officially sign the 26-year-old wide receiver until 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

This latest report fits the narrative that SI’s Peter King, ESPN’s Adam Schefter and USA Today’s Mike Garafolo have crafted, one which has connected league sources believing the former Pittsburgh Steeler is a lock to wind up in South Beach in 2013.

It’s going to cost the ‘Phins a pretty penny to add such an elite talent, but this team has to open their wallets if they are going to compete in the AFC East in the near future.

Considering Dwyane Bowe recently re-upped with the Kansas City Chiefs for five years and $56 million and Vincent Jackson signed a similar, five-year, $55 million contract in 2012, it should come as no surprise that Wallace is expected to be handsomely rewarded in the coming days.

It’s hard to argue against him deserving it, as the speedster just finished his fourth year in the NFL and was once again productive—despite the Steelers' struggles last season.

Wallace has career numbers of 235 receptions (on 404 targets), 4,042 yards and 32 touchdowns. He’s always a threat to score and often comes up with huge plays when the team needs them most.

The last time Miami broke the bank for a receiver was back in 2010, when the franchise splurged a tad over $47 million on Brandon Marshall—a player who was traded last spring to the Chicago Bears.

However, with Ryan Tannehill set to start for the second straight season, the front office has to surround him with potent receiving threats if he is going to develop into a franchise signal-caller.

The young quarterback performed admirably during a rocky rookie year and could be in line for a breakout 2013 campaign with a wideout like Wallace on the roster.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the next day or so, but don’t be surprised to see Mike Wallace ink a deal with the Miami Dolphins as soon as he is eligible on Tuesday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...miami-dolphins
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #126
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,757
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 2,784
Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,377 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Mike Wallace Reportedly Expected to Sign with Miami Dolphins

By
Alex Kay


Mike Wallace is one of the premier playmakers in the NFL, so it makes sense that the Miami Dolphins are going all-in to acquire the wide receiver’s services. In fact, it makes so much sense that it seems there is no one else even in the running for the free agent.

According to Ben Volin of The Palm Beach Post, Wallace to the Dolphins is now a “done deal,” even if the organization cannot officially sign the 26-year-old wide receiver until 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday.

This latest report fits the narrative that SI’s Peter King, ESPN’s Adam Schefter and USA Today’s Mike Garafolo have crafted, one which has connected league sources believing the former Pittsburgh Steeler is a lock to wind up in South Beach in 2013.

It’s going to cost the ‘Phins a pretty penny to add such an elite talent, but this team has to open their wallets if they are going to compete in the AFC East in the near future.

Considering Dwyane Bowe recently re-upped with the Kansas City Chiefs for five years and $56 million and Vincent Jackson signed a similar, five-year, $55 million contract in 2012, it should come as no surprise that Wallace is expected to be handsomely rewarded in the coming days.

It’s hard to argue against him deserving it, as the speedster just finished his fourth year in the NFL and was once again productive—despite the Steelers' struggles last season.

Wallace has career numbers of 235 receptions (on 404 targets), 4,042 yards and 32 touchdowns. He’s always a threat to score and often comes up with huge plays when the team needs them most.

The last time Miami broke the bank for a receiver was back in 2010, when the franchise splurged a tad over $47 million on Brandon Marshall—a player who was traded last spring to the Chicago Bears.

However, with Ryan Tannehill set to start for the second straight season, the front office has to surround him with potent receiving threats if he is going to develop into a franchise signal-caller.

The young quarterback performed admirably during a rocky rookie year and could be in line for a breakout 2013 campaign with a wideout like Wallace on the roster.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens in the next day or so, but don’t be surprised to see Mike Wallace ink a deal with the Miami Dolphins as soon as he is eligible on Tuesday.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...miami-dolphins
There's also a report that no one else was willing to shell out the big dough for Mikey - not a shocker really - the following article sites "a source" that getting Wallace is practically a "done deal." Enjoy it Mikey - you'll be in Siberia after Miami and then out of football - guaranteed. Best of luck
Report: Dolphins have No Competition for Mike Wallace
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...r-mike-wallace
__________________

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #127
VaDave
Team President
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 2,029
Gender: Male
Member Number: 479
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,207 Times in 705 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

At this point, I really don't care where he ends up. I'd love for him to stay, but since he more than likely isn't,,, NEXT!!
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #128
VaDave
Team President
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 2,029
Gender: Male
Member Number: 479
Thanks: 638
Thanked 1,207 Times in 705 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
There's also a report that no one else was willing to shell out the big dough for Mikey - not a shocker really - the following article sites "a source" that getting Wallace is practically a "done deal." Enjoy it Mikey - you'll be in Siberia after Miami and then out of football - guaranteed. Best of luck
Report: Dolphins have No Competition for Mike Wallace
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...r-mike-wallace
Siberia in Miami???? Expecting a cold front we don't know about????
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #129
Fire Haley
Banned
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 10,359
Member Number: 763
Thanks: 53
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

Palm Beach Post reports it's a done deal...

of course they would
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #130
harrison'samonster
Living Legend
 
harrison'samonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Youngstown, OH
Posts: 6,399
Gender: Male
Member Number: 17630
Thanks: 40,114
Thanked 7,127 Times in 3,043 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Siberia in Miami???? Expecting a cold front we don't know about????
i think he means Wallace will fail in Miami then be banished to the NFL's "Siberia" aka Cleveland.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I think so too, but there are about 50 players rumored to be first round draft choices so far. someone has to fall...
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts