Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger is our John Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
that last part, the young guys stepping up is key to us getting #7 - we need to let them take a few lumps and gain some in-game speed and confidence

If the Ravens can put McKinnie or whoever at LT that late in the game, we can let our guys make more mistakes in the beginning. Have to take the training wheels off and let them be aggressive - we'll never know what our strengths are on D if we can't let them make mistakes
Totally. I'd rather see what we have with Spence/Slyvester than have Foote back.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,097 Times in 3,895 Posts

They're actually very similar players in more than just stats. But, it's a very interesting post and so far so good with the feedback.

Wallace / Brown is a 1-2 punch that rivals any WR set in the NFL if they're used in the correct system and one of them doesn't hold out and have to catch up on the book midseason. That being said, I think Emmanuel Sanders is a better overall WR than Wallace is anyway, he just needs to get out of the habit of fumbling the ball. Brown does, too, but their mistakes are coachable and ultimately, fixable mistakes. If we start to utilize Cotchery, then we have a solid 3 set for Roethlisberger. We don't necessarily need an All-Star WR and we're not going to find one in this draft anyway.

Ben just needs a stable of legitimate RBs to return to the week 10 form of this year. I feel sure we'll get there.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #23
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915

What makes you think that the Bronco fans weren't bitching? I'm sure they were.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #24
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 7,222 Times in 2,958 Posts
My Mood: Hot

Let's also not forget that for years he had to survive in Dan Reeve's offensive philosophy. Run the ball and play defense. Then, when everything else fails, go out and win the game for us.....sound familiar?

Enter Mike Shanahan. The rest is history. Late in Elway's career, Shanahan stated he was the greatest qb he's been around, and wished he had had the chance to coach him much earlier in his career. He said he would have owned every qb record by the end of his career if he had played in his system his entire career.

Let's hope Todd Haley figures out a way to maximize Ben's abilities and he is given the weapons to help them become a devastating offense. Let's also hope that the organization is smart enough to understand that you only hurt your team when you try to force an offensive style of play when you don't have the talent to run it.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #25
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

I posted a somewhat similar thread about much the same. Ben up to this point compared to Elway has much better numbers, playoff and regular season. Elway could not get a Superbowl win until the Broncos had a very good RB named Davis. We need a stable of good RBs and/or quality offensive line play to have better production out of our run game. While playing a quicker passing game we still need to open it up down the field much like the Ravens have done,(really do not think we will get as many PI calls though)
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #26
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,963 Times in 3,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricco Suavez View Post
I posted a somewhat similar thread about much the same. Ben up to this point compared to Elway has much better numbers, playoff and regular season. Elway could not get a Superbowl win until the Broncos had a very good RB named Davis. We need a stable of good RBs and/or quality offensive line play to have better production out of our run game. While playing a quicker passing game we still need to open it up down the field much like the Ravens have done,(really do not think we will get as many PI calls though)
I think getting a RB who can keep the pressure off of Ben is necessary to protect him and help him avoid injuries.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #27
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Ben Roethlisberger has had the worst weapons of any top-tier QB in the NFL in the last five years. The offensive line and RBs have been mediocre if not downright bad, and the WRs have been overrated. Heath Miller and Maurkice Pouncey have literally been the only other players on offense who have been consistently good.
This is total bullshit, check the stats of our Wrs and the top-tier teams you're referencing and I think you'll realize that. Two of ours were All-Pro last year and the year before we were in the SB (lost); won it in 2009. Check the stats over the five year period and come back and post an intelligent response.

Some of you said that Arians offense sucked, yet you expect the wrs to be great, then we get the dink and dunk which produced about 1000 less yards that his teams did, again its the wrs fault. When it comes to Ben's failures, its, you guessed it the wrs fault yet again and of course the Oline. Football is a TEAM sport. Miss me with the stupid shit man.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #28
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,341 Times in 488 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoop View Post
This is total bullshit, check the stats of our Wrs and the top-tier teams you're referencing and I think you'll realize that. Two of ours were All-Pro last year and the year before we were in the SB (lost); won it in 2009. Check the stats over the five year period and come back and post an intelligent response.
What's Santonio Holmes done since leaving the Steelers, aside from turning the Jets locker room into a dumpster fire? What does Mike Wallace do consistently well, aside from catching deep passes in wide-open spaces? What impact plays did Antonio Brown make this past season, aside from two momentum-killing fumbles? The only consistently good WR the Steelers have had in the last decade is Hines Ward. The rest of them have been overrated.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #29
Gnutella
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 1,341 Times in 488 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
What makes you think that the Bronco fans weren't bitching?
Bronco fans don't treat their QBs like shit the way Steeler fans do. Bronco fans loved Tim Tebow. Steeler fans hated Terry Bradshaw.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnutella For This Useful Post:
fansince'76 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #30
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
What's Santonio Holmes done since leaving the Steelers, aside from turning the Jets locker room into a dumpster fire? What does Mike Wallace do consistently well, aside from catching deep passes in wide-open spaces? What impact plays did Antonio Brown make this past season, aside from two momentum-killing fumbles? The only consistently good WR the Steelers have had in the last decade is Hines Ward. The rest of them have been overrated.
Cut the shit, I'm still waiting on you to intelligently back-up the post that I still call bullshit. Can you do that please?
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote