Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,008 Times in 4,256 Posts
Default Re: Any players we can trade for?

As much as I would love to get Larry a ring, his cap hit is too high for us. Look at these numbers quickly,

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/arizona-c...ry-fitzgerald/

So, next year he's slated to make 9.5, but in the following years he's making 17, 20, 17, 17 and 15. While he's worth every penny, we just don't have the room for him on this team. We'd have to get rid of guys like Woodley, Timmons, Pouncey, Troy, Clark and Ike to even consider taking on a contract like that and I'm not willing to part with Woods, Timmons or Maurkice.

Oh, and it would take a first round pick and a third round pick to get Larry. Anything less and you'd be laughed out of the room.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

good points but i figured we can handle the 9.5 as we were looking to pay wallace 10million.

Then the restructuring happens then eventual cut.

Woodley, Clark, Ike and Troy will be gone after next year if they are even on the team in 2013.

We can hold Timmons and Pouncey for sure.

I also disagree it will take a 1st. The Cards have decent WRs, are 2-3 years away and can get rid of a HUGE contract.

2 and 4, heck maybe with a player or 2 to help the cap could do it.

it wont happen but its not impossible liek that idiot Lloydwoodson thinks
Old 02-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post

Yeah I'm the idiot that considers Chad Brown an OLB only because he played 81% of his career at OLB.

I'm the idiot that thinks Bettis deserves a spot in the HOF.

I'm the idiot that doesn't think it is realistic to entertain the idea that Fitzgerald will be a Steeler. (Yeah, a human being is going to sacrifice 10 million dollars a year to play for a team that has won 2 playoff games in the last 4 years... sounds like everyone I know).

I'm the idiot who doesn't know who Rick Woods is because it turns out he played his entire career in Pittsburgh before my first memory.

I'm the idiot who didn't bother posting on your thread listing every member of the defense and asking if they are worth trading.

That's me. I'm just your average every day idiot.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,789 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
good points but i figured we can handle the 9.5 as we were looking to pay wallace 10million.

Then the restructuring happens then eventual cut.

Woodley, Clark, Ike and Troy will be gone after next year if they are even on the team in 2013.

We can hold Timmons and Pouncey for sure.

I also disagree it will take a 1st. The Cards have decent WRs, are 2-3 years away and can get rid of a HUGE contract.

2 and 4, heck maybe with a player or 2 to help the cap could do it.

You can cool it with the personal attacks. Thanks.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #15
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,787 Times in 8,647 Posts
My Mood: Dead

On trading for Larry Fitzgerald.

PROS:
His $9.5 million salary (for next season) could easily fit into the current cap. As others have stated, if Wallace was going to get $10 million, getting Fitzgerald for $9.5 is a steal!!!

Even if he does not restructure, by adding him & winning the SuperBowl, Troy WOULD retire... as would many of the other hefty contracts. Thus, again, even if he did not restructure (which he would), there will be a ton of salaries gone vis a vis people retiring.

Worst case: trade for him... win #7... and if he does not restructure, cut him.

CONS:
Arians is bitter at the Steelers. There is NO WAY he trades his BEST player to a team that he hates.

Even if he did, he would ask for an insane amount in return: two R1 picks, Antonio Brown, and the heart of Mike Tomlin served on a platter.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,050 Times in 1,789 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

As for the 9.5 million for Fitz as compared to Wallace's supposed 10 million contract, didn't Brown get a deal in Wallace's place? Smaller, I know, but still. Wouldn't that effect the chances of this even been possible?

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

PROS:
His $9.5 million salary (for next season) could easily fit into the current cap. As others have stated, if Wallace was going to get $10 million, getting Fitzgerald for $9.5 is a steal!!!

Even if he does not restructure, by adding him & winning the SuperBowl, Troy WOULD retire... as would many of the other hefty contracts. Thus, again, even if he did not restructure (which he would), there will be a ton of salaries gone vis a vis people retiring.

CONS:
Arians is bitter at the Steelers. There is NO WAY he trades his BEST player to a team that he hates.

Even if he did, he would ask for an insane amount in return: two R1 picks, Antonio Brown, and the heart of Mike Tomlin served on a platter.
i agree with the Cons, but we cant pretend to know what people think and if it made sense for the Cards I am sure Arians would trade. keep in mind the last thing an OLDER first year head coach wants is his star player unhappy as this will be Arians only shot at a head coach. That will spread through any locker room. If Fitz wants out they will give it to him. The issue is Fitz is too much of a class guy to cause a stir.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #18
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
As for the 9.5 million for Fitz as compared to Wallace's supposed 10 million contract, didn't Brown get a deal in Wallace's place? Smaller, I know, but still. Wouldn't that effect the chances of this even been possible?
The Steelers still want Wallace (they say they do), for about $10 million. Thus, if they were going to pay Wallace $10 million/if they have a plan to allot $10 million for his contract... then they could afford that same amount ($9.5 million) for Fitzgerald.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #19
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
i agree with the Cons, but we cant pretend to know what people think and if it made sense for the Cards I am sure Arians would trade. keep in mind the last thing an OLDER first year head coach wants is his star player unhappy as this will be Arians only shot at a head coach. That will spread through any locker room. If Fitz wants out they will give it to him. The issue is Fitz is too much of a class guy to cause a stir.
So, what you are saying is that I need to start a fake Twitter account, posing as Larry Fitzgerlad, where he is bashing Arians. Will do. (You talkt o Colbert about working out the trade.)

Really though, I could see Arians trading Fitzgerlad to 30 teams (the Taperiots & Rams come to mind, with their multiple picks)... but, not to the one team which we want.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,100 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post

PROS:

CONS:

Bidwell's make the final decisions. If they want to trade Fitz, they will do it. Arians or not.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
nikstar (02-07-2013)