Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #1
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

I cannot believe my eyes, looking at all of these threads, comparing Ben to Flacco, even one suggesting that its time to maybe "blow it up" and trade Roethlisberger.

I only have one question: are you people out of your fucking minds?

Ben is widely regarded as an upper-echelon quarterback in the NFL. He has played in three Super Bowls (yes, I know he was less-than-stellar in 2 of them. It still takes a lot of great quarterback play to get there, and Ben was magnificent in Denver and Indy in 05.) He was actually having, judging by the eye-test, his best season until his injury against KC this season, and that completely derailed the offense upon his return.

Ben still has at least 5 seasons of high-level play in him. For all the talk of his injuries, he's never had one that caused him to be out more than 3 or 4 games (no ACL tears, significant elbow/shoulder injuries, or anything of that nature.) For anyone to question his standing as our starting quarterback is beyond moronic.

Who do you people suggest we get to play QB? I'll be waiting a long time for any kind of reasonable answer that will give us a signal-caller even approaching Big Ben's level.

Guess what? Our biggest rivals just won the Super Bowl. And yes, former national punchline Joe Flacco played spectacularly in getting them there. That DOES NOT mean we have to compare him to our guy, who has won an awful lot of football games around here. That DOES NOT mean that it's time to start questioning whether or not we'd be better off with someone - what? More like Joe Flacco? What the hell do you people want?

There's no reason to believe that we can't bounce back and be Super Bowl contenders NEXT YEAR, with a few roster tweaks but also largely intact. Do you think the Giants expected to win the Super Bowl after an average 2010?

So, please, anyone who will defend the ditch-Ben line of thinking, let's hear it. What do you suggest? Alex Smith? Michael Vick? Trade him for a couple first-round picks and draft Matt Barkley? Bring in Jamarcus Russell for a tryout? Ask the Jets about Sanchez' availability?

Or do we stick with the guy whose won 3 AFC championships and 2 Super Bowl rings, with an astronomical winning percentage in 9 seasons here, who was on top of his game before an injury this season, and who is still in the prime of his career? Tough choice.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to LayingTheWoodley56 For This Useful Post:
AndyWitmyer (02-08-2013), Bayz101 (02-06-2013), desertsteel (02-06-2013), DevinX43 (02-07-2013), Fire Arians (02-08-2013), harrison'samonster (02-07-2013), JeromeBetties63 (02-06-2013), MACH1 (02-06-2013), Penn (02-06-2013), stairway27 (02-06-2013), Steelers5895 (02-06-2013), truesteelerfan (02-07-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,621 Times in 919 Posts
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

We are going to have more than a few roster tweaks this off-season.

Overall, I'm with you on Ben. Yep, we have to give credit to Flacco for his run, but to discount what Ben has put up at this point in his career by some in the great Steeler Nation, is absurd.

Last year everybody was all about Eli, the year before Brady, the year before, it was Rivers, the year before it it the other Manning, the year before..... recognize a pattern here???
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Here is what I think. Everyone SHOULD be questioning Ben. He HAS to play better but he also has to stay health and that goes hand in hand with his ability to play better.

We can all agree that unless theyre trading for Kirk Cousins there isnt a starter out there that is going to be of comfort. (Kirk Cousins is going to.start somewhere in the future.

But I agree Ben is 50X better than Flacco and There is no way we should consider trading him.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Steeldude
Living Legend

There is nothing wrong with questioning any player on the roster.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post

We can all agree that unless theyre trading for Kirk Cousins there isnt a starter out there that is going to be of comfort.

Huh? Trade BR for Kirk Cousins?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
VaDave
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
Here is what I think. Everyone SHOULD be questioning Ben. He HAS to play better but he also has to stay health and that goes hand in hand with his ability to play better.

We can all agree that unless theyre trading for Kirk Cousins there isnt a starter out there that is going to be of comfort. (Kirk Cousins is going to.start somewhere in the future.

But I agree Ben is 50X better than Flacco and There is no way we should consider trading him.
Everybody needs to play better..... Unfortunately, as long as there are humans playing the game, you got to look at the averages, and frankly, Ben's numbers are pretty stinking good.

Sure, there are s subjective measuments, sometimes refered to as "The Eyeball Test" we'd all love to see improve, but dang, this is a pretty stinking great QB we got here.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
wwhickok
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Huh? Trade BR for Kirk Cousins?
No no no. I meant acquiring Cousins period. Not for Ben.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
VaDave
Team President

Gottcha... my bad...
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #9
wwhickok
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Everybody needs to play better..... Unfortunately, as long as there are humans playing the game, you got to look at the averages, and frankly, Ben's numbers are pretty stinking good.

Sure, there are s subjective measuments, sometimes refered to as "The Eyeball Test" we'd all love to see improve, but dang, this is a pretty stinking great QB we got here.
I agree completely. I am just saying that if you are going t cticize him, make sure its applied in the right place. I. Would not want ANY other QB including Tom Brady, Drew brees, or Aaron Rodgers. Yes I am dead serious.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
VaDave
Team President

w,

Good post. Sorry, I go nutz when Steeler Nation goes all reflective and picks at every scab when we don't win a SuperBowl.... It's like some birthright that has been taken from them.

So far I've read on this board that we need to run not only Ben out of town, but at least 30 other players, and most of the coaching staff to boot. The expectation is that we will find the second coming of Vince Lombardi to coach, the modern day equivalent of Otto Graham, along with a cast of potential hall of fame players, filling out a team that will win the super bowl in perpituity, all of whom will fit into our cap space of $131,000,000.

Sorry for the rant.