Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #31
wwhickok
Starter
 
wwhickok's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Williamsport, PA
Posts: 426
Gender: Male
Member Number: 24713
Thanks: 9
Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
How many of you armchair quarterbacks have tried throwing a football at a professional level a few weeks after separating your shoulder and a rib?
Im not even an armchair QB. I am an armchair WR that runs about a 5.5 40 time, weighs 165, is as short as MJD, but has great hands....not that theyd help when i get crushed by any NFL player lol.

I get your point and people are naive to think they could do better.
__________________
The Stong Conquer the Weak, The Mighty Make the Rules -- self-written.
wwhickok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,282
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 6,393
Thanked 11,772 Times in 4,803 Posts
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
I can understand supporting and liking Ben as the Steelers starting QB but you'd really rather have Ben than a young Luck, RG3, Kaepernick...all who have another 12-15 years or a better NOW QB in Brady or Rodgers? Well, that is going a little too far imho
You think that Kaepernick has 12 - 15 read option years ahead of him? Or, more realistically, teams do what the Rams did and make him a complete liability instead of an asset next year when they have substantial film on him.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #33
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,117
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 5,912
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherpower View Post
you had me until 'student of the game'. That would be the last thing I would call Ben. In fact I would say that is THE one thing other than hitting the gym that is preventing him from being one of all time best.
the games where he has systematically dismantled defenses with quick throws and with 10 different receivers is an indicator of someone that is studying and taking what the defense is giving him - he has shown flashes of understanding defenses and knowing situations - I said flash, not that he has become or is now fully capable - just sayin
__________________
MacReady: Beaver pics - don't think we're in much shape to do anything about this thread
Childs: Well, what do we do?
MacReady: Why don't we just . . .wait here and post for a little while longer . . . see what happens?
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #34
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach
 
Riddle_Of_Steel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 1,955
Gender: Male
Member Number: 13727
Thanks: 2
Thanked 887 Times in 442 Posts
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
How many of you armchair quarterbacks have tried throwing a football at a professional level a few weeks after separating your shoulder and a rib?
Not much of an argument here at all- just hurt indignation.

Obviously, none of us have thrown a football at the professional level, after an injury or otherwise. That is a bobby-trapped statement.

However, that does not absolve Ben of anything, nor does it mean we aren't justified as fans to criticize when they players turn in sub-par performances.

Alot of people criticize the President, and I am fairly certain none of them have ever given an order that will result in someone's death before.

Using your logic, then nobody has any right to criticizde or critique poor performance if they do not work in the same field or hold the same title.

So....

* We can't criticize Goodell as Commissioner anymore-- none of us have ever had to run a major sports franchise.

* We can't criticize Joe Flacco or any other NFL player on another team anymore-- we have not played their position at a professional level, right?

* We can't criticize the referees anymore-- most of us have never had to make a penalty call at the professional level before right?
__________________
GO STEELERS!!
"On the S-2-7 train"
Riddle_Of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
fer522 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #35
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter
 
steelfury02's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6,117
Member Number: 6076
Thanks: 5,912
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Not much of an argument here at all- just hurt indignation.

Obviously, none of us have thrown a football at the professional level, after an injury or otherwise. That is a bobby-trapped statement.

However, that does not absolve Ben of anything, nor does it mean we aren't justified as fans to criticize when they players turn in sub-par performances.

Alot of people criticize the President, and I am fairly certain none of them have ever given an order that will result in someone's death before.

Using your logic, then nobody has any right to criticizde or critique poor performance if they do not work in the same field or hold the same title.

So....

* We can't criticize Goodell as Commissioner anymore-- none of us have ever had to run a major sports franchise.

* We can't criticize Joe Flacco or any other NFL player on another team anymore-- we have not played their position at a professional level, right?

* We can't criticize the referees anymore-- most of us have never had to make a penalty call at the professional level before right?
wrong - Sloppy Joe is Joe Flacco in disguise
__________________
MacReady: Beaver pics - don't think we're in much shape to do anything about this thread
Childs: Well, what do we do?
MacReady: Why don't we just . . .wait here and post for a little while longer . . . see what happens?
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #36
casteeler
Head Coach
 
casteeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Heinz field West
Posts: 1,545
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15446
Thanks: 212
Thanked 294 Times in 198 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
Welcome! Let me introduce you to the sect known as 'SteelerNation'. We're a spoiled bunch and after one season - a .500 season, mind you - we question Tomlin and Roethlisberger, both of whom are Super Bowl champions. But, if we don't go 12 - 4 / 13 - 3 every single year while picking between 28 - 32, we have to blow up the franchise because, well, we're spoiled.

People who are saying a) Flacco is better than Roethlisberger and b) we should trade Ben are flat out stupid. Every fanbase has them and you're seeing ours. That's all.
This team with its current players will never be as good as they once were, we are spoiled but lack the good judgement it takes to say "Maybe he will never be as good as he once was". Ben is better than Flaco but for how long
casteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #37
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter
 
StainlessStill's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,941
Gender: Male
Member Number: 12999
Thanks: 743
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

I'll say it to the day he retires. Give me a MEGAPHONE if you have to. GIVE ME BEN ROETHLISBERGER OVER ANYBODY ELSE IN THIS LEAGUE AS THE LEADER AND STARTING QB UNDER CENTER AND LETS ROLL!
__________________
"I believe the game is designed to reward the one's who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!" -Jack Lambert
StainlessStill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StainlessStill For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #38
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter
 
MACH1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Potataho
Posts: 14,940
Member Number: 3236
Thanks: 2,120
Thanked 6,471 Times in 2,384 Posts
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Not much of an argument here at all- just hurt indignation.

Obviously, none of us have thrown a football at the professional level, after an injury or otherwise. That is a bobby-trapped statement.

However, that does not absolve Ben of anything, nor does it mean we aren't justified as fans to criticize when they players turn in sub-par performances.

Alot of people criticize the President, and I am fairly certain none of them have ever given an order that will result in someone's death before.

Using your logic, then nobody has any right to criticizde or critique poor performance if they do not work in the same field or hold the same title.

So....

* We can't criticize Goodell as Commissioner anymore-- none of us have ever had to run a major sports franchise.

* We can't criticize Joe Flacco or any other NFL player on another team anymore-- we have not played their position at a professional level, right?

* We can't criticize the referees anymore-- most of us have never had to make a penalty call at the professional level before right?
But it's okay to play judge/jury/executioner with a players career after coming back early with major injuries and one bad TEAM season?
Okay I get it we're only allowed to be jealous whiny little b******.

FIRE BEN
__________________


ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #39
Gnutella
Head Coach
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,958
Member Number: 13861
Thanks: 1,829
Thanked 2,686 Times in 984 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Why the fuck are we even asking if we'd trade Roethlisberger for some young QB? First of all, it's never going to happen, so there's no point in asking. Second of all, I don't see Patriots fans asking if they'd trade Tom Brady for Colin Kaepernick, or Saints fans asking if they'd trade Drew Brees for Russell Wilson. Those fan bases don't take their franchise QBs for granted, and neither should we. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Enjoy the next five years or so of Roethlisberger's career, and then give him a toast when he retires.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter
 
SteelersCanada's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,282
Member Number: 24400
Thanks: 6,393
Thanked 11,772 Times in 4,803 Posts
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
This team with its current players will never be as good as they once were, we are spoiled but lack the good judgement it takes to say "Maybe he will never be as good as he once was". Ben is better than Flaco but for how long
You realize this was all said after the 2009 season, right? Everything you just said has been said before.

Now, I thought it was ridiculous before and now, if it's possible, I think it's more ridiculous now. For you to come out and say Flacco could be taking over Roethlisberger because of 4 good games he had is ridiculous. You know who had a great regular season? Matt Ryan. Is Matt Ryan taking over Ben's seat now, too?

Look at Flacco's playoff stats before these four games and tell me this Quarterback is going to strike fear into anyone. He isn't. He's average and the front office of the Ravens knows it.

My answer for how much longer will Ben be better than Flacco? Until Ben hangs 'em up. He's done more with less and he's won a Super Bowl with the worst offensive line this team has ever seen. Flacco has viable targets at RB, WR and TE and we're all clamoring over him because he had a good postseason? His regular season stats were mediocre. It's amazing how hot and cold this fanbase is after one average season.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts