Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #41
VaDave
Team Owner

Member Number: 479
Thanked 2,097 Times in 1,139 Posts
Default Re: I'll say it plainly - anyone questioning Big Ben is an IDIOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Not much of an argument here at all- just hurt indignation.

Obviously, none of us have thrown a football at the professional level, after an injury or otherwise. That is a bobby-trapped statement.

However, that does not absolve Ben of anything, nor does it mean we aren't justified as fans to criticize when they players turn in sub-par performances.

Alot of people criticize the President, and I am fairly certain none of them have ever given an order that will result in someone's death before.

Using your logic, then nobody has any right to criticizde or critique poor performance if they do not work in the same field or hold the same title.

So....

* We can't criticize Goodell as Commissioner anymore-- none of us have ever had to run a major sports franchise.

* We can't criticize Joe Flacco or any other NFL player on another team anymore-- we have not played their position at a professional level, right?

* We can't criticize the referees anymore-- most of us have never had to make a penalty call at the professional level before right?
Maybe life would be better if we weren't so critical?? It's like going on a beautiful scenic drive, but only noticing and talking about the cracks in the road.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #42
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Going into next season, the Steelers will have an offense line with only 10 total years of NFL experience, and no deep threat at WR. Yet, all of yinzer nation is saying Ben needs to "step up." Really? Yinz want Ben to do more, but he's surrounded by utter crap.

"The Steelers will run the ball!"

Yeah, and when that doesn't work?

If anything, the Steelers shut down their own offense by not going deep enough and using Mike Wallace properly. Yeah, he had bad drops. All the WRs did. But Brown had such a good year in 2011 because the other team had to worry about Wallace going deep. When other teams caught on to the fact the Steelers were just trying to play the possession game, it was much easier to shut down their passing game.

That's not surprising considering the team refuses to embrace modern day football.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #43
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
Maybe life would be better if we weren't so critical?? It's like going on a beautiful scenic drive, but only noticing and talking about the cracks in the road.

I hear ya, Dave and agree somewhat. But this is football- the most tactically sophisticated team sport in the world (eat it, Euros). It is meant to be overanalyzed....

Not a "negative nancy" myself, but I have a very strong analytical/strategic personality type (according to the stupid new-age tests they give us at work all the time) and am an engineer by trade. I like to break things apart, analyze them, and then rebuild them better.

My criticisms of Big Ben or the team are done so with the intent of generating objective analysis, not to bash or make the sky fall down.

Anyone questioning Big Ben right now, is NOT an idiot, contrary to the OP. However, you could make a good argument that the folks who say to trade him now, for (insert name of undeserving QB), are a bit on the panicky side and prone to crack under pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #44
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFor7 View Post
Going into next season, the Steelers will have an offense line with only 10 total years of NFL experience, and no deep threat at WR.
Get off it. The Cowboys threw an Oline at us that was missing all of its starters and they handled James Harrison, Lamar Hampton, Hood, Kiesel, and the Hutt just fine.

The Steelers have won two Superbowls in recent history with no deep threat at all besides Holmes.

Wallace's contribution to this offense is vastly overrated.

Quote:
Yet, all of yinzer nation is saying Ben needs to "step up." Really? Yinz want Ben to do more, but he's surrounded by utter crap.
LOL. You have been saying this for some time now, and it is no more true than it was a month ago.

Ben lives behind an Oline that has, count them, 2 1st round picks, and 2 2nd round picks. That is not a bad pedigree at all.

He has one of the best TEs in the league to throw to.

He had the fastest receiver in the NFL to throw to.

He had the first guy to earn 1000 yards receiving and 1000 yards on kick returns, and who scored a TD on his very first NFL play ever.

About the only thing on that offensive unit you could criticize for being sub-par were the RBs.

Quote:
If anything, the Steelers shut down their own offense by not going deep enough and using Mike Wallace properly. Yeah, he had bad drops. All the WRs did.
Not really. Brown and Sanders both had a fumble catastrophe this season each, but it was largely an isolated incident.

They were averaging at least two deep balls to Wallace per game. Anymore than that and you run the risk of making your offense one-dimensional and dependent on gimmicks (or you waste lots of downs throwing iincomplete passes and leaving your defense out to dry).

There is no reason why any #1 WR should only be able to be counted on while running a single type of route. Wallace got his deep balls-- and he dropped them.

Quote:
But Brown had such a good year in 2011 because the other team had to worry about Wallace going deep. When other teams caught on to the fact the Steelers were just trying to play the possession game, it was much easier to shut down their passing game.
THis is another one of your self-propogating beliefs. No team plays for just possession-- that is just plain stupid.

All teams play for points. It just so happens that possession was one of teh goals of this offense IN ADDITION to scoring.

Maintaining time of possession is a sound strategy. Especially when half your defense is on the wrong side of 30.

It worked against New England in 2010-- the key to slowing down the league's hig-flying passing attacks is to not allow them on the field by using a high-percentage passing game and keeping possession of the ball. Football 101.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #45
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

If you don't think Flacco has surpassed Roethlisberger recently you are a COMPLETE IDIOT. I'm just going to come out and say it. Flacco has thrown 18 tds vs 2 ints in his last 3 postseasons. In that time Roethlisberger has thrown 5 tds and 5 ints in the postseason. Yeah, all the Ben homers want to point out how bad Flacco was as a ROOKIE and as a SOPHOMORE. Why not look at his flawless postseason play since then? What part of 11 tds to 0 ints and a Superbowl MVP do you not understand?!

How good is Roethlisberger? Almost as good as Joe Flacco.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #46
VaDave
Team Owner

Riddle,

LOL!!! I married Negative Nancy.

Though I'm not an engineer, (something this world needs a lot more of IMO), but I do a fair amount of reclamation work of my own as a financial planner. Somethings need time to shake out. I'm sure you heard this one, "it didn't work out like we drew it up".

Edison had how many failures along the way, and yet history views him as a resounding success. What was Babe Ruth known for? Home Runs? Less known is that he struck out more than anybody for almost 50 years, until the 1980s, but he's still known as one of the best hitters in the history of the game.

As for Ben, there are things he does that drives me to distraction too. Then again, Bach wrote some music that I'm not real into as well, and my neighbors yard maintinence..... I digress

Seriously, Ben also had done some incredible work in his time here, and IMO, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt more, and a better shake than he's getting , generally speaking.

Unfortunately, a fair amount of Steeler Nation has indeed gone over the edge, well beyond useful analysis, to the point of hysteria over a .500 season, and hence, this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to VaDave For This Useful Post:
Gnutella (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #47
VaDave
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
If you don't think Flacco has surpassed Roethlisberger recently you are a COMPLETE IDIOT. I'm just going to come out and say it. Flacco has thrown 18 tds vs 2 ints in his last 3 postseasons. In that time Roethlisberger has thrown 5 tds and 5 ints in the postseason. Yeah, all the Ben homers want to point out how bad Flacco was as a ROOKIE and as a SOPHOMORE. Why not look at his flawless postseason play since then? What part of 11 tds to 0 ints and a Superbowl MVP do you not understand?!

While I'll agree that Flacco is a good deal better than what he gets credit for in these parts, but lets give him a few more years before we ship him off to Canton. OK?
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #48
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,698 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post

There's literally 0 logic in this. I'm going to throw in what MasterPuppets said earlier today,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
up untill this season there's no truth to that whatsoever.

miami - 9-23-135 yds...0 tds
tenn - 11-22- 161 yds....1 td
pitt - 13-30-141 yds....0 td

NE - 4-10-34 yds...0 td
indy - 20-35-189 yds....0 td

KC - 25-34-265 yds....2 tds
pitt - 16-30-125 yds.......1 td

hou - 14-27-176 yds .....2 tds
NE - 22-36-306........2 tds

whats so impressive here ? the fact that he gets credit for a win while only completing 4 passes ? or the fact that they won 3 playoff games with flacco only throwing 1 td in those 3 games?
So, because Flacco played brutal secondaries like the Pats and 9ers, he's better than Roethlisberger? I'm going to throw this at you too - is he better than Drew Brees? Brees has had a pretty bad couple last postseason games as well, is Flacco taking over his seat?

I know what you're going to say. But, Flacco had a great regular season!!!!!one

No, he didn't.

59.7% completion, 3800 yards and 22 TDs in 16 games. Roethlisberger had more TDs, a higher completion % and less yards only because he played less games. Since you love stats so much, break those down for me please. I'd love to hear how Roethlisberger is almost as good as Flacco when he was playing behind a Frankenstein offensive line and no legitimate Running Backs. Flacco has both of these things, so the offense wasn't one-dimensional.

Saying blanket statements like this is flat out wrong, man. You like stats, I gave you some.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #49
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
There's literally 0 logic in this. I'm going to throw in what MasterPuppets said earlier today,

So, because Flacco played brutal secondaries like the Pats and 9ers, he's better than Roethlisberger? I'm going to throw this at you too - is he better than Drew Brees? Brees has had a pretty bad couple last postseason games as well, is Flacco taking over his seat?

I know what you're going to say. But, Flacco had a great regular season!!!!!one

No, he didn't.

59.7% completion, 3800 yards and 22 TDs in 16 games. Roethlisberger had more TDs, a higher completion % and less yards only because he played less games. Since you love stats so much, break those down for me please. I'd love to hear how Roethlisberger is almost as good as Flacco when he was playing behind a Frankenstein offensive line and no legitimate Running Backs. Flacco has both of these things, so the offense wasn't one-dimensional.

Saying blanket statements like this is flat out wrong, man. You like stats, I gave you some.
I don't care about regular season stats. Brees has had bad playoffs recently? Brees last 3 postseasons he has thrown 17 tds to 2 ints. If Brees had the Steelers defense he would win the Superbowl every year even with his 6th round WR, and UDFA offensive line. Brees threw for 462 yards and 4 tds in the last playoff game he lost.

Stats don't matter right? They must not or people would realise that Ben has been surpassed. Sorry, but Flacco is in the company of the all-time greats with the playoff performances he has put on.

Roethlisberger isn't going anywhere. Not sure why all you babies are crying like someone is going to take him away from you with a post. Fact is Roethlisberger isn't half as good as homers make him out to be.

Superbowl MVPs Flacco 1 - 1 Roethlisberger 0 - 3

Shouldn't you be pimping a first-round 4-3 DE who can't shed blocks and a new defensive coordinator right now? Lovie Smith is still available I believe.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #50
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Got to spell it out for you dummies who still aren't getting it...

Flacco's first two postseasons: 1 TD 6 INTs Durrrrrr Flacco bad durrrrrr

Flacco's last 3 postseasons: 18 TDs 2 INTs Durrrrr Flacco good durrrrrr

Flacco was a dropped pass in the end zone from going to the Superbowl last year. The Ravens could have been 2x defending champs right now. That is the level Flacco is playing at.

In that time Roethlisberger lost a shootout to Tebow and sat at home watching the playoffs. Truth hurts but hey it is what it is.