Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #41
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,533 Times in 4,058 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Who will be our HB next year?

2013 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Mike Gillislee

By Charlie Campbell

Mike Gillislee, 5-11/207

Running back

Florida

Strengths:

Excellent cutting ability
Phenomenal blocker
Quickness
Shifty in the open field
Can break off long runs
Decisive runner
Vision
Surprising power and strength
Physical runner; runs with authority
Picks up yards after contact
Good receiver
Reliable hands
Runs good routes
Plays hurt
Fresh legs; not a lot of wear-and-tear
Stamina; runs well in second half

Weaknesses:

Size
Durability
Good, but not great, size
Good, but not great, speed

Summary: Gillislee spent the first three years of his college career as a backup to running backs Chris Rainey and Jeff Demps. After seeing what Gillislee did as a senior, his former coaches should be regretting having him on the bench so much. He carried the Gators' offense this season and was probably the MVP of a Florida team that surprised the country with an 11-2 record and four wins over top-15 teams.

Gillislee started off the season against Bowling Green by collecting 148 yards and two touchdownson 24 carries. He played the next week with an ankle injury, but still ran for 83 yards on 14 carries with two touchdowns in a road win at Texas A&M. Gillislee then carried Florida to a win over LSU with 146 yards and two touchdowns in a phenomenal performance. Gillislee had similar outing for 140 yards and two scores in a road victory over Florida State. The senior averaged 4.7 yards per carry in 2012 on his way to 1,152 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also caught 16 passes for 159 yards and two scores.

Gillislee is extremely well-rounded as a player and a ball-carrier. He is a very decisive runner and doesn't dance behind the line of scrimmage. Gillislee simply makes one cut and quickly charges ahead. He has excellent cutting ability to dodge defenders and pick up positive yards.

Gillislee additionally has good enough speed to get to the second level of the defense. He is shifty and makes defenders miss while retaining deceptive power. Gillislee has the ability to run through arm tackles and pick up yards after contact.

In the passing-driven NFL, Gillislee is exactly what many NFL offensive coordinators are looking for. He is a good receiver out the backfield who can run routes in the short part of the field as well as going downfield. Gillislee has very good hands, and he is a better receiver than his totals indicate.

The NFL is going to love Gillislee's blocking ability given his excellence in blitz protection. He does a good job of reading the defense to pick up the right man. Gillislee fits up his blocks extremely well to hold his ground after the initial contact. His offensive coordinator and running backs coach are going to love Gillislee's ability to protect the quarterback.

Gillislee is more than a simple pass-blocker in that he is still an aggressive blocker when other ball-carriers have the ball. One example came in the LSU game when Gillislee had an astounding block where he blasted defensive end Sam Montgomery to the ground on a jet sweep.

Gillislee may be best as part of a running back stable at the next level. He just isn't the biggest of backs; giving him 300 carries a season may be too much of a load and will lead to him getting injured. Gillislee should, at very least, turn into a good third-down back. He should quickly take over that role. Gillislee should be on the field for the majority of plays in a passing offense.

Player Comparison: Jamaal Charles. The Chiefs stole Charles in the third round of the 2008 NFL Draft. Charles (5-11, 200) is a touch undersized, but he is a quick back with a versatile skill set. Gillislee is the same with his well-rounded style to do anything a team could ask. Like Charles, Gillislee could go in the third round and reward the team that takes a chance on him.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingre...mgillislee.php
Old 02-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #42
nick5574
Water Boy

Member Number: 24779

i am hoping for mike gillislee. From what i have seen of him he is a well rounded back that could play all 3 downs for us.
nick5574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #43
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

I actually think it will be Rashard Mendenhall. After reading a very interesting on NFL.com about the likely switch to a Zone Blocking scheme and like release of Willie Colon and walking of Starks and Foster, I actually believe what the article suggests and expect the steelers to bring back Mendy and cut loose Redman and Dwyer.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #44
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
I actually think it will be Rashard Mendenhall. After reading a very interesting on NFL.com about the likely switch to a Zone Blocking scheme and like release of Willie Colon and walking of Starks and Foster, I actually believe what the article suggests and expect the steelers to bring back Mendy and cut loose Redman and Dwyer.
Please God no...

Steelers, Heat, Caps, Nats, Kevin Harvick #4
The_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #45
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,043 Times in 550 Posts

We need a Trent Richardson or Alfred Morris. Otherwise, anyone else will be another dud and Ben will be in harms way just the same. The only way to limit stupid play is a solid running back.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
The_Joker (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #46
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhickok View Post
i think you might be right. it all depends if the money is right and whether the FO thinks his attitude is ok
Old 02-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #47
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

He kind of reminds me of a Arian foster type player. Great cut ability with good speed. Going to zbs the offense looks like it needs a back who can stretch the run play out side and have that good cut back.

I've like Gillesie all season. And the more important thing might be that he is a very good blocker.

With him and Dwyer I think we would have a nice one two punch. That is if mendenhall does not return. And frankly I like mendenhall and he would thrive on the new system some say, and I find to be more true than false.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #48
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,043 Times in 550 Posts

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results".

You can ask Raider fans all about that, they have known this in the worst way the last decade. However, the Pats have been doing the same thing over and over again for a while now, and if not for 2 plays, would have two more super bowls.

However, Mendenhall, while talented, has major focus issues. Focus is what killed this team this year. We can blame injuries all we want, but there were games that were virtually over that the Steelers let slip away in the final quarters. When a team loses to shitty teams, with double digit leads in the final quarters, its focus that lets it slip. This is the fault of the head coach and your leaders on the team. The Steelers do not have a leader on this team, the last two retired last year, Farrior and Ward.

Big Ben is not a leader, no matter what anyone thinks. Troy and James are wrecking balls of fury, they are lead by example types. The only ones close to being a leader is Ryan Clark, and Larry Foote after him. But they are at the end of their careers as well.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #49
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results".

You can ask Raider fans all about that, they have known this in the worst way the last decade. However, the Pats have been doing the same thing over and over again for a while now, and if not for 2 plays, would have two more super bowls.

However, Mendenhall, while talented, has major focus issues. Focus is what killed this team this year. We can blame injuries all we want, but there were games that were virtually over that the Steelers let slip away in the final quarters. When a team loses to shitty teams, with double digit leads in the final quarters, its focus that lets it slip. This is the fault of the head coach and your leaders on the team. The Steelers do not have a leader on this team, the last two retired last year, Farrior and Ward.

Big Ben is not a leader, no matter what anyone thinks. Troy and James are wrecking balls of fury, they are lead by example types. The only ones close to being a leader is Ryan Clark, and Larry Foote after him. But they are at the end of their careers as well.
I agree with you there. If you want evidence of poor leadership, look to the losses to low quality teams.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 AM   #50
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post

What we need is a 'Patrick Willis'. A guy who isnt overly emotional but is a strong leader and if we get a guy with the talemt of Willis thats great too.