Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 9,131 Times in 3,913 Posts
Default AB Ready to Take on Leadership Role for the Steelers

Brown working hard, ready to lead

By: Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

On a bitter cold winter morning, with temperatures hovering in the single digits and most people not wanting to venture outside the comfort of home, receiver Antonio Brown was at the Steelers’ practice facility on the South Side.

With no required workouts until OTAs begin in the spring, Brown didn’t have to be there. He could have easily stayed home, and stayed warm. But instead he stayed on course, as he has done since the season ended, working out one his own either at the team’s facility or elsewhere.

“The battle is ongoing. It’s never ending,” said Brown. “I have taken a break as far as pounding my body, but you have to keep the cardio up, which keeps my strength up.”

Brown’s workouts range from some light weight lifting, to basic cardio to swimming, allowing him to work on breathing, heart rate and endurance.

“You have to do something to better yourself every day,” said Brown. “You have to take a step every day to be your best.

“If you want to be your best, you have to outwork your opponent. My opponent is not just someone I am competing against, but I am my biggest opponent. I know if I compete against myself every day I am working to be my best. That is something I always take pride in, working to better myself.”

Brown knows that last season’s 8-8 record was unacceptable, the first time in his three-year NFL career without post-season play. He doesn’t want a repeat of it, a year where he found himself a spectator during the playoffs, watching games from home.

“It definitely adds fuel to it,” said Brown. “You always have to have drive. You learn a lot from last year, put it behind you for the most part, but you still have to remember some of it and get better and work to make a difference so you don’t have that same experience.

“Watching the playoffs was motivation. You see teams you played against and wonder why it wasn’t us. You wonder was it our ability physically on the field or was it our mentality, or team chemistry. A lot of things come up. You had a feeling that you wanted to be out there and you hope your teammates get the same feeling when they were watching it.”

With fellow receiver Mike Wallace about to enter free agency, Brown knows that he could be called upon to carry more of the load going into the 2013 season. He feels ready for whatever comes his way, and knows every extra bit of work he puts in this offseason will help to ensure that.

“I am always ready,” said Brown. “I am ready no matter who is here, no matter who goes. I am always working on getting better. I will be ready no matter what the situation is. Whoever stays in the room, we just have to know the importance of working hard and with the right attitude. We haven’t really won anything, we haven’t done anything, so we have to take the poor man approach that we don’t have anything and we are hungry to get everything and appreciate what we have. We have to work with that mentality and if we do that we will make less mistakes and mental errors and win more.”

The Steelers lost several veteran leaders before the 2012 season, and with three years now under his belt Brown knows he needs to take on that kind of role. While he prefers leading by example, he might have to challenge himself to step out of his comfort zone and become more of a vocal leader.

“We have a lot of young guys,” said Brown. “A lot of guys haven’t been around here for the history of this team. I want to make sure guys understand the importance of being here, the tradition and what is required from our peers, coaches and everybody inside this building. You have to know the history of something if you are a part of it. You have to know where it started, where it came from and what it’s about. You know where you are with it now and where you want to go. I can help teach guys about that and take that type of approach.

“Every man here has to understand the importance of what the Steelers logo stands for, the men that came before us and wore the jersey and we have to understand the importance of it, be humbled by it and work with that mentality.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...2-58b057ed5a2f

-- Sounds to me like he's a guy that's ready to step up and take that number one receiver role. Before we start losing our minds over Mike Wallace heading to another team, let's not forget the studs we have in AB and Manny. If the rest of the team - Roethlisberger included - takes this kind of approach to the upcoming season, then I have a good feeling. A great feeling.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-12-2013), lipps83 (02-13-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
BLACK_AND_YELLOW
Head Coach

Member Number: 18312
Thanked 1,745 Times in 826 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: AB Ready to Take on Leadership Role for the Steelers

You can tell Brown really wants to be great from his work ethic, glad we have guy like Brown on our team.
BLACK_AND_YELLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,375 Posts

nice, glad to hear he's got the heart, gotta keep focused game to game during the season though. He's got great work ethic and the talent to become a top reciever.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #4
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Jerry rice used to say he knew he didnt have the best talent or skill set but he knew everyday he was going to out work his opponent on and off the field and thats what made him the greatest wr is history.

Sounds like ab has the same mind set which is good to hear.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

His was never a question of work ethic. He just needs to tone down the goofy shit (although I gotta admit his backwards touchdown was worth the penalty).

This year was an aberration for him. The argument of him needing Wallace opposite the field holds no more water than Ward needing Holmes, Buress, or Courtney Hawkins opposite him. He will be back to form with another year in Haley's system regardless of who is on the otner side of the field.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I hope that Brown can step up to that role as a leader. There will never be another Ward out there on the field but hopefully Brown can be vocal enough to rally the offense.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 AM   #7
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
His was never a question of work ethic. He just needs to tone down the goofy shit (although I gotta admit his backwards touchdown was worth the penalty).

This year was an aberration for him. The argument of him needing Wallace opposite the field holds no more water than Ward needing Holmes, Buress, or Courtney Hawkins opposite him. He will be back to form with another year in Haley's system regardless of who is on the otner side of the field.
Agreed catch the ball and get back to the huddle.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
The_Joker
Team President

Member Number: 24540
My Mood: Devilish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
I hope that Brown can step up to that role as a leader. There will never be another Ward out there on the field but hopefully Brown can be vocal enough to rally the offense.

Steelers, Heat, Caps, Nats, Kevin Harvick #4
The_Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
wwhickok
Starter

Member Number: 24713

I really like Antonio Brown. Thats why I bought bis Jesery. I didnt have a problem with the backward score. I think the flag was total b.s. but doesnt change the fact he shouldnt have even risked it. Just gotta play smarter, lead by example first.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

I think Brown has the ability and the work ethic to be a top notch receiver. Plus, he is an all-around good guy. I remember a few years back when he spent a few days, if not a week with a fan from twitter.

Great guy to have on this team and I am happy with the fact the Steelers have him locked up for a few years.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote