Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #31
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994
Default Re: Mike Wallace vs Swann, Ward etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
"He's about as exciting as it comes. He gets down field faster than me and Lynn did. As for being the long ball receiver, that's his forte. Swann and I thought we were longball players too, but we couldn't run like that.
"Wallace has potential to get better. That doesn't lessen what he's done, though. He has a lot of talent as a receiver already." --- John Stallworth.

John Stallworth compared himself and Swann to Wallace which is kind of absurd.

In 1978, Swann's best ever statistical season, he finished 8th in receptions, 7th in yards and 2nd in touchdowns. Swann made the HOF by being a big-play receiver... guess who else is a big play wide receiver? There are more than 300 players with more career receptions than Lynn Swann... THREE HUNDRED!!! So please spare me the typical canonization of past players. Swann is a great player in his own right but he is not Jerry Rice or Don Hutson.(Stallworth is 101st in career receptions which is very good for his era).

Wallace absolutely belongs in the conversation of the best Steelers wide receivers. Wallace is 26 years old. The best is yet to come.
Obsurd! You must not have seen them play. While you are looking up stats, look at the length of swanns Td receptions in Super Bowls. Now compare those to Wallace.

Talk about a guy who can get deep. He averaged 40 yards per reception in Super Bowl 10.

Again, ridiculous post but expected from an under 20 year old steeler fan of 5 years
TheVet (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #32
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobo View Post
He's a good number 2 at best. Numbers are misleading and anyone basing their entire argument on them is foolish. He's a poor route runner, soft, doesn't fight for the ball, has average hands, regularly disappears and is only "elite" at running in a line. He isn't a number one receiver. He isn't Fitz or either Johnson. Those guys didn't have a guy like Ben throwing them the ball their first few years. Numbers mean shit.
Matt Stafford would be a much better fit for Wallace. Stafford arguably throws the best deep ball in the league.

The fact that Wallace scored twice as many touchdowns as two of the number one receivers you mentioned means nothing to you. Touchdowns are stats and stats are unimportant.

I think what stand out the most about your comment is the Johnsons, and Fitz were targeted far more than Wallace yet Wallace still had the most touchdowns of that group.

Fitz - terrible QBs - 71 REC 153 TGT 4TD 46% REC/TGT

Megatron - ProBowl QB - 122 REC 205 TGT 5TD 59% REC/TGT

Andre - ProBowl QB - 112 REC 164 TGT 4TD 68% REC/TGT

Wallace - ProBowl QB - 64 REC 119 TGT 8TD 54% REC/TGT

All of those receivers got targeted at least 30 times more than Wallace. Wallace still scored the most. Scoring is just a stat though - they should decide NFL games based solely on expert qualitative analysis from the fans at home who would determine who tried the hardest based on gut instinct and the eye test.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #33
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

I don't think anyone is debating the stats you are obsessing over. But to say he is in the same class as the three best Wrs in our teams history is nuts. Beyond nuts.

You using only stats to argue this point is why we are saying the stats don't matter.

Understand or should i type louder
Old 02-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #34
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Obsurd! You must not have seen them play. While you are looking up stats, look at the length of swanns Td receptions in Super Bowls. Now compare those to Wallace.

Talk about a guy who can get deep. He averaged 40 yards per reception in Super Bowl 10.

Again, ridiculous post but expected from an under 20 year old steeler fan of 5 years
Absurd*

Wallace has only been to one Superbowl. Wallace had 9 catches (more catches than Swann had in any of his Superbowls) and 1 touchdown (tying the most touchdowns Swann had in any of his Superbowls).

Let's not forget who was throwing them the ball. Bradshaw's worst rating in any Superbowl was 101. Roethlisberger's best rating in any Superbowl was 93 (which was much better than 22 and 77 admittedly).

Old 02-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,677 Times in 871 Posts
My Mood: Doubtful

Wallace is better than Swann and Stallworth.

That's a good one.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #36
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,046 Times in 3,730 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Absurd*

Wallace has only been to one Superbowl. Wallace had 9 catches (more catches than Swann had in any of his Superbowls) and 1 touchdown (tying the most touchdowns Swann had in any of his Superbowls).

Let's not forget who was throwing them the ball. Bradshaw's worst rating in any Superbowl was 101. Roethlisberger's best rating in any Superbowl was 93 (which was much better than 22 and 77 admittedly).
with a minute left in the SB Wallace was given two chances in a row to help move the ball down field. On one he gave very little effort, and on the next he seemed like he gave little effort and immediatley looked around for a flag. turnover on downs, Packers run the clock out, game over. Big difference between Wallace and Holmes even.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #37
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

in SB 43 Holmes had 9 catches for 131 yards. In the final drive, he had a catch for 14, 13, and 40 yards, and a game winning touchdown catch for 6. And Holmes isn't considered by many to be one of the great Steeler WR's.
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
lloydwoodson (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #38
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Again, how does a WR who deliberately does not try become one of the best Steeler WRs of all-time?

What? Even coming out of the draft his poor hands were noted.

I did.

You are comparing Wallace to WRs in the 70's and Ward? Do you understand the flaws in those comparisons?
I believe Wallace tries. If he doesn't try and still scored as many touchdowns as Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald put together in 2012 that is very impressive.

Scouting reports are garbage. The scouting report on Tom Brady did not say one good thing about him - literally.

Wallace had not had more than 4 drops in a season until this year.

Lance Alworth scored 42 touchdowns in his first 4 years starting in 62, Don Maynard 22 starting in 58, Don Hutson 30 starting in 35, Ditka 30 starting in 62, Cliff Branch 22 starting in 72, Billy Howton 22 starting in 52... can I compare them to players in the 70s?

This whole "new NFL" thing is a nice marketing gimmick and is true as a general rule but there have been excellent receivers and phenomenal passing attacks since the inception of the league.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #39
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Wallace is better than Swann and Stallworth.

That's a good one.
Not one person here has said that. I am of the opinion that Wallace is in the conversation of greatest Steelers wide receivers with the above mentioned. John Stallworth is also of the opinion that Wallace is in that conversation. John Stallworth is in my opinion the greatest Steelers receiver ever, then Hines, then Swann, and then Wallace since everyone appears to be keeping score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
with a minute left in the SB Wallace was given two chances in a row to help move the ball down field. On one he gave very little effort, and on the next he seemed like he gave little effort and immediatley looked around for a flag. turnover on downs, Packers run the clock out, game over. Big difference between Wallace and Holmes even.
Go watch Heath Miller on the 4th and 5 that ended the Steelers chance at winning Superbowl 45 and see if you still feel Wallace was to blame for that play. The pick 6 was also a target for Wallace that must have been his fault too.

Wallace has been Roethlisberger's favorite target over the last few years. I guess Roethlisberger is a dummy for not realizing Wallace sucks.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #40
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:

Go watch Heath Miller on the 4th and 5 that ended the Steelers chance at winning Superbowl 45 and see if you still feel Wallace was to blame for that play. The pick 6 was also a target for Wallace that must have been his fault too.

Wallace has been Roethlisberger's favorite target over the last few years. I guess Roethlisberger is a dummy for not realizing Wallace sucks.
You mean it's Roethlisberger's fault? I'm not going to get into that argument now. Wallace had a chance to make play's at the end of that game, the biggest game he's been in and didn't deliver. And no the pick 6 wasn't his fault either.

I'm not saying Wallace sucks, I just don't agree with you that he's one of the top Steelers WR's.
The Following User Says Thank You to harrison'samonster For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (02-10-2013)