Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #41
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Re: Mike Wallace vs Swann, Ward etc.

Buddy Dial is the only Steelers receiver to have ever scored more touchdowns in his first 4 years than Mike Wallace and he did it starting in 1959. Dial scored 33 touchdowns in those 4 years and I can compare him to Wallace because it wasn't the 1970s- it was the 1950s a glory era for the pro football passing attack.

No one has even mentioned dial. I guess sports media wasn't as big an influence in the 1950s.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #42
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 10,273 Times in 4,123 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

okay, I'll give you that, Mike Wallace is comparable to Buddy Dial.
austinfrench76 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #43
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
okay, I'll give you that, Mike Wallace is comparable to Buddy Dial.
[YOUTUBE]PCRKDy1sdtU[/YOUTUBE]

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydwoodson For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-09-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #44
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,064 Times in 4,582 Posts

Michael Irvin had 20 TDs. Cris Carter had 22. Isaac Bruce had 28.

It's completely apples and oranges and comparing these guys to guys from the 70's is absolutely ridiculous. Why don't we compare Brady's and Brees' 5000+ yard seasons and look back with dismay at every single Quarterback in that time frame, too? Current day stats =/= stats in the 70s and comparing them is laughable.

Calvin Johnson had 33 TDs in his first four seasons - is Mike Wallace as talented as Megatron?

edit -- Mike Wallace has an elite Quarterback and arguably the best Steelers Quarterback in team history throwing to him and you're surprised that a guy that can run in straight lines has a bunch of receiving TDs? I don't see why this is so surprising and, fyi, Mike isn't one of the best Steelers WRs and to suggest he is would be kind of mind-boggling. I should run Mike's fanclub, but I'm also realistic and able to recognize that this isn't a fair nor reasonable comparison.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelersCanada For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (02-10-2013)
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #45
SteelerEmpire
Team Owner

Member Number: 14355
Thanked 2,122 Times in 954 Posts

Can't get mad at Wallace for being a good negotiator and about his money. Any person on here that calls themselves a "true conservative" will tell you 'it's capitalism at it's finest' ! Wallace himself knows the facts that lloydwoodson ran down in frame #1 of this thread, and he's using it to his full advantage. Can't get mad at him for that !

A HOUSE DIVIDED WILL FALL TO IT'S ENEMIES;
BUT IN UNITY THERE ARE 6' SUPER BOWLS !!!
SteelerEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #46
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,748 Times in 981 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Buddy Dial is the only Steelers receiver to have ever scored more touchdowns in his first 4 years than Mike Wallace and he did it starting in 1959. Dial scored 33 touchdowns in those 4 years and I can compare him to Wallace because it wasn't the 1970s- it was the 1950s a glory era for the pro football passing attack.

No one has even mentioned dial. I guess sports media wasn't as big an influence in the 1950s.
Dial was one heck of a player. So of couse we traded him for the rights to Scott Appleton... who refused to come to Pittsburgh.....
VaDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #47
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,535 Times in 3,143 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

you want the guy who held out for more than 10 million to produce less than 1000 yards this season? it's too bad most of his touchdowns came in garbage time in losing efforts. the giants game was the only game this season where he had a direct hand in a win. 10 million, i better get more than 1 game-winning effort in a season

and also sat out in the last game to avoid injury to prove that he himself thinks he's greater than the team

fuck him, i wouldn't take him for the vet minimum at this point, i don't want players like that on my team, period
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #48
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
I believe Wallace tries. If he doesn't try and still scored as many touchdowns as Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald put together in 2012 that is very impressive.

Scouting reports are garbage. The scouting report on Tom Brady did not say one good thing about him - literally.

Wallace had not had more than 4 drops in a season until this year.

Lance Alworth scored 42 touchdowns in his first 4 years starting in 62, Don Maynard 22 starting in 58, Don Hutson 30 starting in 35, Ditka 30 starting in 62, Cliff Branch 22 starting in 72, Billy Howton 22 starting in 52... can I compare them to players in the 70s?

This whole "new NFL" thing is a nice marketing gimmick and is true as a general rule but there have been excellent receivers and phenomenal passing attacks since the inception of the league.
You believe? If you watched the games you wouldn't believe.

Quote:
Wallace had not had more than 4 drops in a season until this year
Anyone watching the games knows he has had more than 4 drops. The NFL's criteria for dropping a pass is a joke. Did Owens have good hands? No.

1978 rule change.

Quote:
Scouting reports are garbage
They are correct about Wallace. What does Wallace bring besides a great 40 time? He doesn't have good hands. He isn't a good route runner. His effort is poor as are his fundamentals

Sorry, but I wouldn't want a player on the team who decides when he wants to catch the ball.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #49
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,472 Times in 2,124 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
you want the guy who held out for more than 10 million to produce less than 1000 yards this season? it's too bad most of his touchdowns came in garbage time in losing efforts. the giants game was the only game this season where he had a direct hand in a win. 10 million, i better get more than 1 game-winning effort in a season

and also sat out in the last game to avoid injury to prove that he himself thinks he's greater than the team

fuck him, i wouldn't take him for the vet minimum at this point, i don't want players like that on my team, period
this x billion. if he didn't take a 10 mil contract - which is a totally respectable and more than fair contract - then that is telling.

Mr. Pull Up and Slow Down Cause the Safety is Coming looks real great catching a ball thrown 5 yards to the side and out running everyone. When it comes to fighting for the ball and catching the hard ones, showing up in make or break games or situations, and generally helping to take the pressure off of his QB - he is absolute dog shit.

I really don't care what Swann and Stallworth say - it has no bearing in recent critical situations and playoff games where we might as well go with 2 receiver sets 'cause he's non existent. Where is Wallace's defining moment where he helped propel the team forward? I see some highlights of long bombs every now and then - BUT THAT'S IT Again, good riddance.

When the guy contributes to a huge division winning or playoff game winning effort, sign him up - otherwise, good riddance . . .

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #50
Blonde Bomber
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7829

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Wallace is better than Swann and Stallworth.

That's a good one.
That is hilarious!!!

I remember Swann getting clocked, well not clocked but clothes-lined in the playoffs, going to the hospital for a few days, and being the MVP 2 weeks later. Wallace looks for flags when he gets pushed a little. Go back and watch some of the hits, and some of the really late hits the WR's took back then.

A respectable WR these days, even though he is on the Rats team is Boldin. He can catch the ball in traffic, while he is fighting off defenders. He at least fights for the ball and not for a flag. Anyway just my 2 cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Jyn_Y8zSU&NR=1 start watching about 3:35 to see hit on Swann.

How has a dink and dunk offense helped our QB I ask?

Last edited by Blonde Bomber; 02-10-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: add
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote