Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #51
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,118 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default Re: Mike Wallace vs Swann, Ward etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
It makes me laugh how you guys so easily forget what wallace has done for this team yet tend to overlook Brown's shortcomings because he is under contract.
If you want to compare Wallace to more recent players then compare his first 3 yearsto the top WR's , Fitzgeral , Megatron, White and Marshall and you'll see Wallace is right up there with them.
I agree wallace had a down year but he's still more valuable to our team then most of you think and you'll find thatout this sseason
Wallace has had a down season and a half with a decent QB (something Fitzgerald lacks) - that is over a third of his career

This season could be attributed to adjusting to Haley's new system and Roethlisberger getting hurt again, but the end of 2011 performance that probably impacted the Steelers (and for that matter other teams) reluctance to give Wallace a big contract carried over into 2012 is there as well

The ship sailed on Wallace when he was not signed and Brown was - there is not enough restructuring salary cash available to pay Wallace and put that much money into the WR position - Steelers will miss Wallace but that is how the salary cap is supposed to work since you are not supposed to be able to sign everyone - nobody other than New England stays on top forever and even New England's problems with no deep threat WR and in the secondary are regularly exposed in the playoffs
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #52
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I will just say this is kind of a nutty thread. Not only 2 different era's but 2 completely different NEEDED skill sets. Separation in Swann's day wasn't as easy as running in a straight line. DB's used to KILL receiver's off the line and all the way through their routes! That is all.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #53
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

I don't post much in the Steelers forum, but since I'm an old guy and a long time adversary of the Steelers, I thought I would give my.02 on this.

Wallace is a good WR. He isn't in Swann's or Stallworth's league. I would venture to say that not many of today's WR's are in that league. Back in the day, WR's were molested all the way down the field. The great one's still managed to get it done.

For what it's worth, I always thought Stallworth was better than Swann.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silver & black For This Useful Post:
FrancoLambert (02-10-2013), TheVet (02-11-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #54
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,740 Times in 799 Posts

If you could get Megatron, Wallace, or Fitz for 10 mil a year who would you pick?
I'm not a stats guy, i go by what i watch on tv so Wallace would be my third option
Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #55
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
If you could get Megatron, Wallace, or Fitz for 10 mil a year who would you pick?
I'm not a stats guy, i go by what i watch on tv so Wallace would be my third option
Fitz. Fitz catches 71% of the passes thrown his way while Mega catches 55% (the same % as Wallace).

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #56
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde Bomber View Post
That is hilarious!!!

I remember Swann getting clocked, well not clocked but clothes-lined in the playoffs, going to the hospital for a few days, and being the MVP 2 weeks later. Wallace looks for flags when he gets pushed a little. Go back and watch some of the hits, and some of the really late hits the WR's took back then.

A respectable WR these days, even though he is on the Rats team is Boldin. He can catch the ball in traffic, while he is fighting off defenders. He at least fights for the ball and not for a flag. Anyway just my 2 cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...Jyn_Y8zSU&NR=1 start watching about 3:35 to see hit on Swann.
Name me one receiver today that doesn't beg for a flag after a play where the receiver didn't catch the ball.
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #57
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,377 Posts

yea - its really the league's fault for the lack of consistency in calling - when you have articles that study the different officiating crews and their tendencies - that's bad

human error will always be there -but, the attitudes that the NFL has helped to generate regarding penalties is terrible

Can you imagine a Steelers player basically punching/shoving the official in the middle of a fight - the fact that the league came back on the Ravens player (I forget) and said there would be no fine is hypocritical - Steelers would have had 1-2 ejections in that game plus huge fines - count on it

Look at the whiney ass Harbaugh and how he acts and the end of the SB - this is how people act now when something doesn't go their way - and in general, society is heading in this direction - it is scary what "character" means now compared to what it used to mean . . .

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #58
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Fitz. Fitz catches 71% of the passes thrown his way while Mega catches 55% (the same % as Wallace).
Larry Fitzgerald is no doubt the best WR today IMO. It's a shame that the Cards don't even have a mediocre QB to throw the ball to him.
kan_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #59
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

I really wish the Steelers could work something out to get Fitz in Pittsburgh. He would be perfect on this team with Brown as #2 and Sanders in the slot. Go youth with the defense and cut and release the rest. Go young on D and then restructure the bigger contracts. I would even be willing to keep Mendy for the cheap, so the Steelers can draft more defense in the early rounds. You can get away with inexperienced youth on the defensive side. Look at Cortez and Lewis. Youth in the NFL is becoming more and more the talent now then experience. Especially in the skilled positions.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #60
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I really wish the Steelers could work something out to get Fitz in Pittsburgh. He would be perfect on this team with Brown as #2 and Sanders in the slot. Go youth with the defense and cut and release the rest. Go young on D and then restructure the bigger contracts. I would even be willing to keep Mendy for the cheap, so the Steelers can draft more defense in the early rounds. You can get away with inexperienced youth on the defensive side. Look at Cortez and Lewis. Youth in the NFL is becoming more and more the talent now then experience. Especially in the skilled positions.
skill on D is being sacrificed for offensive firepower - I def do see that - neither SB team had great defenses - really, timely turnovers is the name of the game - yardage and points be damned - hence, shootouts in the playoff are going to be the norm now

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote