Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 02-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #1
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Open letter to Niners fans

Dear Niners fans,

I was really hoping your favourite team was going to beat the Ravens. Hope you get back there next year- you always seem a step closer than the year before. If it is any consolation the "Superbowl Champion T-Shirts" are going to clothe tens if not hundreds of thousands of people. That should give you time to grieve without feeling guilty for a lapse in social activism. Throw some organically grown, fair-trade tomatoes at Culliver if you see him for the rest of us. Better luck next year, Yuppies!

Sincerely,
A Steelers fan.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 AM   #2
BleedPurple
Starter

Member Number: 19142
Default Re: Open letter to Niners fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Dear Niners fans,

I was really hoping your favourite team was going to beat the Ravens. Hope you get back there next year- you always seem a step closer than the year before. If it is any consolation the "Superbowl Champion T-Shirts" are going to clothe tens if not hundreds of thousands of people. That should give you time to grieve without feeling guilty for a lapse in social activism. Throw some organically grown, fair-trade tomatoes at Culliver if you see him for the rest of us. Better luck next year, Yuppies!

Sincerely,
A Steelers fan.

Since they won't let me make an account on their forums I will post it here: to all 9ers fans crying about the hold in the endzone on the punt with ~12 seconds left. . . got news for ya, there were 8-9 holds on that play. John told the entire TEAM to hold, because guess what offensive holding in the endzone is. . . A SAFETY! AND IT DOESN'T STOP THE CLOCK!

Geeze just pisses me off because they were all crying over it. . .
BleedPurple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BleedPurple For This Useful Post:
teegre (02-06-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,273 Times in 1,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple View Post
Since they won't let me make an account on their forums I will post it here: to all 9ers fans crying about the hold in the endzone on the punt with ~12 seconds left. . . got news for ya, there were 8-9 holds on that play. John told the entire TEAM to hold, because guess what offensive holding in the endzone is. . . A SAFETY! AND IT DOESN'T STOP THE CLOCK!

Geeze just pisses me off because they were all crying over it. . .
but why wasn't it called ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
I'm curious as well, but it could be it wasn't called because it didn't make any difference. Honestly, there should have been lots of laundry on the field.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
NOTHING was called in that game.

#29 for the Ravens hit a referee, kept yelling at him, had to be physically pulled away from him, all with his helmet off, and there WASN'T EVEN A FLAG, let alone him being thrown out. At that point I knew the Ravens were going to win. What if that was Harrison?
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
I'm curious as well, but it could be it wasn't called because it didn't make any difference. Honestly, there should have been lots of laundry on the field.
Yeah. I knew it when I saw it that it was intentional holding by the entire team. Very smart call as there would have been no penalty for doing it. Still a little shock why they wouldn't throw the flag though. When the whole line is basically tackling or bear hugging their man right in front of all the officials and not one of them throws a flag makes you wonder what the hell they are even doing out there.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
BleedPurple
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
Yeah. I knew it when I saw it that it was intentional holding by the entire team. Very smart call as there would have been no penalty for doing it. Still a little shock why they wouldn't throw the flag though. When the whole line is basically tackling or bear hugging their man right in front of all the officials and not one of them throws a flag makes you wonder what the hell they are even doing out there.
Well, the really interesting thing would have been if Koch had thrown a pass out of the endzone at the end of the play (never in a million years would he, but just speaking hypothetically that would have made that play really controversial).

Thinking back, I believe if Koch had attempted/completed a pass after burning clock hiding behind the holds you would have seen the flags come out. As it happened, a flag was really not going to make any difference. By rule, they can't put time back on the clock for holding in the end zone. The penalty for holding in the end zone is already a safety, the 2 pts is supposed to be the punishment.

I think the competition committee may even take a look at this and make the penalty 2 pts OR put time back on the clock and make them rerun the play, which would take away the advantage of using a penalized hold to run out clock on 4th down. For this year though it was a great coaching decision by JH in my opinion, curious what you all think.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

There were 12 seconds left on the clock when it came time for the punt. It really didn't matter whether JH told his team to hold or not- the game was over.

I thought the clock management by Baltimore to end the first half was atrocious.

One of the worst superbowls I can remember. The damn game would not end. It was like a 5 hour game.

Referees blow calls in every game. There is no conspiracy but the Ravens have been lucky with the calls they have received over the years.

1. Teegre 2. Hawaii 5-0 3. Buddha Bus 4. Tony Hipchest 5. Harrison's a Monster
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
dez09231
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11142

That lack of holding call made absolutely no difference. What would've happened? Time would've ran out a couple of seconds further into the kick off return?
dez09231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

Quote:

I think the competition committee may even take a look at this and make the penalty 2 pts OR put time back on the clock and make them rerun the play, which would take away the advantage of using a penalized hold to run out clock on 4th down. For this year though it was a great coaching decision by JH in my opinion, curious what you all think.
it WAS a great call by asshole #1 cause it showed he knew the rules and put thought into every possible scenario, and maximized every possible outcome in his favor. the worst thing that coulda happened was a kick return which coulda happened just as easilly on a punt.

im sure asshole #2 told him "good call" after the game (or today/tomorrow) as well.

the competition committee will have no choice but to look at it, but what is the solution? probably a safety and the opposite of the "15 second run-off" rule.