Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598
Default Re: NFL May 'Widen' All Football Fields By An Additional 35 Ft (and 110 Yds Total Len

I hate the idea, such a bummer to know that every offseason brings some new ridiculous, retarded rule/regulation (how's that for alliteration!) anyway it sucks and i hate goodell
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #22
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,994 Times in 1,027 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: NFL May 'Widen' All Football Fields By An Additional 35 Ft (and 110 Yds Total Len

If it happens it will be the end of football as we knew it and know it.

Forget about defense, it won't mean shit unless they rescind the "Mel Blount Rule."
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
If it happens it will be the end of football as we knew it and know it.

Forget about defense, it won't mean shit unless they rescind the "Mel Blount Rule."
I noticed the number of posts you have now, 666 and a mentioning of "the end of football as we knew it", what a coincidence
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 PM   #24
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,700 Times in 10,416 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
If it happens it will be the end of football as we knew it and know it."

I posted this elsewhere... but, same topic; same awesome link.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #25
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
1. My mother is a life-long Trekky- not sure how to spell as am a Star Wars geek - she really enjoyed seeing a younger Enterprise crew and thought the acting was better than most of the Star Trek films - I won't say its the best Star Trek flick ever - cause I give that title to "Khaaaaaan" - but, going to see it with family and experiencing it in the theaters for the first time in a while and seeing my mom enjoy it made it worth it. It wasn't terrible - fun popcorn click IMO. It's like the by the time you got to see Revenge of the Sith, you knew the last 2 were bad, and that it couldn't get any worse, knew there was going to be boat loads of CGI - so might as well enjoy the rediculously choreographed fight scene over the lava explosions - what the hell right - even though Anakin SHOULD have been given a red light saber as a gift from Palpy for the final fight.
My problem is that I am a purist and I over-analyze things. I don't like movies, music, art, literature, etc. that has been dumbed-down to make it mass-marketable.

Especially sci-fi and music. I grew up reading classic sci-fi like H. G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Frank Herbert. As such, I have no sympathy or remorse for movies that claim to be science-fiction, then have stupid shit like people performing atmospheric re-entry skydiving in a spacesuit, followed up with a sword-fight no less. I can't just shut off my brain so that I can enjoy the gaudy CGI.

Even if I had never watched a single Star Trek movie or episode in my entire life-- I still don't think it would have been a very good movie. Too many plot holes, inconsistencies, and outright poor storytelling. That movie had more problems than a blind race-car driver.

The new Star Trek was basically a bunch of teenagers on an adventure in space, in their daddy's corvette. If they are going to make it that stupid, just go all the way already and put Jar Jar Binks in the movie and be done with it.

That helicopter-like sound you heard during the end credits of that movie? That was Gene Roddenberry spinning around in his grave....
The Following User Says Thank You to Riddle_Of_Steel For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (02-12-2013)
Old 02-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #26
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 11,700 Times in 4,678 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
My problem is that I am a purist and I over-analyze things. I don't like movies, music, art, literature, etc. that has been dumbed-down to make it mass-marketable.

Especially sci-fi and music. I grew up reading classic sci-fi like H. G. Wells, Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Frank Herbert. As such, I have no sympathy or remorse for movies that claim to be science-fiction, then have stupid shit like people performing atmospheric re-entry skydiving in a spacesuit, followed up with a sword-fight no less. I can't just shut off my brain so that I can enjoy the gaudy CGI.

Even if I had never watched a single Star Trek movie or episode in my entire life-- I still don't think it would have been a very good movie. Too many plot holes, inconsistencies, and outright poor storytelling. That movie had more problems than a blind race-car driver.

The new Star Trek was basically a bunch of teenagers on an adventure in space, in their daddy's corvette. If they are going to make it that stupid, just go all the way already and put Jar Jar Binks in the movie and be done with it.

That helicopter-like sound you heard during the end credits of that movie? That was Gene Roddenberry spinning around in his grave....
fantastic post! very well said.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #27
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,659 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Why would they even consider this bullshit, first of all they complain about player safety and this is not going to help.Second you know that the kicks are not going to go into the endzone for touchbacks which means they will be more contact to the game. What the hell are they thinking. I would love to see it from a fans prospective but it will never happen.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Why would they even consider this bullshit, first of all they complain about player safety and this is not going to help.Second you know that the kicks are not going to go into the endzone for touchbacks which means they will be more contact to the game. What the hell are they thinking. I would love to see it from a fans prospective but it will never happen.
For once, I think the NFL is trying to make a change that is productive, in terms of protecting players, without hurting the integrity or mechanics of the game.

Making rules changes that directly affect the way the game is played, would include direct actions like banning helmet to helmet hits and getting rid of kickoffs altogther (this was actually proposed).

This does it more indirectly. This does not ban or punish any current practice or method currently in use in the NFL. The larger field only adds emphasis to teams that have more agile players who can cover more ground, rather than 325+ lb lumbering hulks that routinely cause injuries. This does not penalize anyone-- it simply makes it more desirable for teams to feature smaller, more agile players over the steroid-grown monsters we are accustomed to.

I guess the league figures that bigger, stronger players = more injuries, while smaller, agile players = less injuries and more splash plays.

More splash plays and less injuries equals more viewers and more $$$$.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #29
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,659 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
For once, I think the NFL is trying to make a change that is productive, in terms of protecting players, without hurting the integrity or mechanics of the game.

Making rules changes that directly affect the way the game is played, would include direct actions like banning helmet to helmet hits and getting rid of kickoffs altogther (this was actually proposed).

This does it more indirectly. This does not ban or punish any current practice or method currently in use in the NFL. The larger field only adds emphasis to teams that have more agile players who can cover more ground, rather than 325+ lb lumbering hulks that routinely cause injuries. This does not penalize anyone-- it simply makes it more desirable for teams to feature smaller, more agile players over the steroid-grown monsters we are accustomed to.

I guess the league figures that bigger, stronger players = more injuries, while smaller, agile players = less injuries and more splash plays.

I can see what you are saying and it makes since. I just wish they would make there mind up in which direction they want to take the game of football.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #30
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,772 Times in 4,803 Posts

Quote:

Trust me when I say this to you, the CFL is an absolute joke to watch. It's painful and the biggest reason is (well, two-and-outs aside for a second) is because when the field is that large, defense and the running game become obsolete. The running game is already on the decline in the NFL and this would be the final nail in that coffin.

This won't happen, though. Fan backlash would be unreal.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote